Airborne 2001 Carpe Diem Older Cyclocross Bike

• $1500 - $3500
  • The Ultimate Cyclo-Cross Bike
  • You Choose Each Component to Create and Purchase your Dream Bike Online.
  • Aerospace Grade 3AL/2.5V Titanium Frame
  • Multi-shaped Cold Worked Seamless Titanium Tubing
  • Cantilever or V Brakes
  • GAMS (Graceful Arc Maximum Stiffness) engineered seat and chain stays.
  • Sizes: 50,54,56,58,& 60cm

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by starker white a Triathlete from new york, ny

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2003

Strengths:    TITANIUM FRAME IS WONDERFUL STUFF AND AN EYECATCHER. ALWAYS CLEANS UP EASY AND NICE AFTER ROAD DIRT, SALT ,SAND AND MUD.

Weaknesses:    ON SHARP TURNS THE FRONT CENTER PULL BRAKE CABLE CATCHES ON THE TWO DERAILER CABLE STAYS MOUNTED ON THE FRONT HEADSET TUBE, WHICH CAN CAUSE ACCIDENTS. I HAD TO CUSTOM MOUNT BARREL STAYS INLINE ON BOTH DERAILER CABLES AND REMOVE THE ADJUSTERS MOUNTED ON THE HEADSET TUBE. THIS GAVE A LITTLE MORE CLEARANCE FOR SHARP TURNING. THIS DESIGN FLAW SHOULD BE CORRECTED BY AIRBORNE. EVERYTHING ELSE IS FANTASTIC!

Bottom Line:
    GREAT BANG FOR THE BUCK COMPARED TO LIGHTSPEED.
    LOVE THE TOURING FEATURES
    ALWAYS WANTED AN ALL IN ONE ROAD BIKE, TOURING BIKE

Favorite Ride:   Airborne Carpe Diem

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bicycle Doctor, Bloo

Bike Setup:   ULTEGRA GROUP/KIT
    CO-MOTION FORK

Submitted by marco hollander a Road Racer from des moines, iowa, usa

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2002

Strengths:    Nimble.
    Quick.
    Stiff.
    Forgiving.

Weaknesses:    Airborne 'albatross' is worth it, though

Bottom Line:
    Whoa - what can I say, but the big 'A' makes my day!

I hate to come off like a poetic doorknob, however, classy rides like this don't go out the door for only $399 for the frame! (Okay - its a y2K model)

My lbs buddies made a sh*tlode of fun of me for even thinking about racing on one of these C-D's, however, I proved them wrong.

Once p mped out with Ritchey CX cranks, XTR rapid rise, Dura Ace STI & Heliums - it weighs in @ 20# and rides like a dream!

Rocketing through the straightaways, carving the corners and super smooth on the dismounts - carry - remounts makes it worth it all.

Favorite Ride:   Long Live Long Rides

Purchased At:   airborne website

Similar Products Used:   Surly Crosscheck - a tank.

Bike Setup:   ITM Millennium Bar/Stem
    Time ATAC pedals
    Ritchey Cx Crankset

Submitted by stephenson a Commuter from Houston, Texas

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Strengths:    The titanium frame provides a smooth ride that sucks up most of the vibrations and jarring of bad roads (a must in Houston!). The light weight (20# w/o my commuter gear) is gravy. The Airborne website gives an incredible range of custom options and parts, so I was able to get what I wanted from the start instead of having to swap things out at the bike shop.

Weaknesses:    Turnaround time for replacement parts - namely spokes, a new rim, and Airborne logo handlebar tape - has been my only complaint. My background is in mountain biking, so I tend to ride the Carpe Diem like a mountain bike. Except for the wheelset, it has performed admirably. I discovered the Velomax circuit wheelset to be virtually bomb-proof. Virtually is the key word here. Mine have shrugged off several nasty incidents, but eventually fate caught up to me in the form of a bent rim and several bent/broken spokes. This I'm not companing about - it happens. My complaint is that I was out of commision for a month while waiting for parts. My advice would be to select a wheelset that doesn't require custom spokes if you can't afford the down time, or puchase a second wheelset as a spare!

Bottom Line:
    4 Months and over 1,000 miles after the purchase, I still look forward to the next ride. This bike has performed far better than its rider through a daily commute and training and charity rides. I needed a bike I could load up for my daily commute and strip down for a fast ride - Airborne delivered with the Carpe Diem.

Favorite Ride:   The next one

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Planetary Cycles - H

Similar Products Used:   Test rode a number of road frames; liked the weight of the aluminum bikes but did not like the ultra-rough ride (Houston has some pretty rough roads). Ti was a great compromise. After checking out a

Bike Setup:   Ultegra components (Dura-Ace chain); Crosslight Kinesis Fork; Velomax Circuit wheelset; Continental

Submitted by tmbrfrmr a Recreational Rider from Floyd, VA

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2001

Strengths:    The bike handles like a dream. I liked the component options and used all Ultegra, Avid brakes, and a Woundup carbon fiber fork. I have had no problems of any kind. I did a lot of measuring using several systems to ensure a good fit. Critical for buying online.

Weaknesses:    So far I have no complaints about the product or the service from Airbourne. I would highly recommend this bike or company to anyone.

Bottom Line:
    I bought this bike after looking at and riding Waterfords and Lemonds. I have put about 500 miles on it. I haven't ridden lots of bikes but it outhandles anything I've ever been on.

Favorite Ride:   Local rides combining dirt roads and pavement