Bianchi 2000 Axis Older Cyclocross Bike

4.54/5 (13 Reviews)

cyclocross, Shimano 105 components, Bianchi fork

Submitted by mgwadz a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Strengths:    great component mix. smart gearing- 36/48 chainrings tallows me to go plenty fast, but is a good set up for slow conditions, too. raceface cranks rock. great all-round bike. fast on and off road. ´

Weaknesses:    rear MA3 rims failed a few times on me- I replaced with ultegra/open pro. front deraillieur is finicky to set up. a

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome. I have a good road bike and mountain bike (which I race) but this is the one that I ride 80-90% of the time. I compared the specs for a variety of CX bikes in this price range and the Axis easily had the best set of components. so, 3 years and nearly 10,000 miles in all sorts of weather and this bike is still going strong. i've raced it a couple times and it handled great, it serves me well on and off road.

Purchased At:   revolution cycles, W

Bike Setup:   stock , except swapped rear wheel to open pro rims, added paul components top mount levers.â

Submitted by Jan from Beverly Hills, MI

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2001

Strengths:    Component Mix - Road controls and trail bike drive train. Also, cable routing as I like it for a get-dirty bike - across the top tube.

Weaknesses:    Ritchey tires. Small cranks and bars for a 60cm frame.

Bottom Line:
As originally equipped, this bike was 90% of the bike I would have built up myself. Tough to beat the component mix for my purposes (and price range), which is mainly dirt road, rain, and winter riding. The longer cranks and custom fit provided by the local shop were indispensable. Also, thanks to comments I saw here, I had them install an adjuster for the front derailleur cable. I found the stock Ritchey tires virtually impossible to remove from the rims, even with the right tools.
After one year, I still love this bike and of the four in my stable, refer to it as my "desert island" ride. If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one bike, this would be it.
While I can't comment on it's value as a bike for racing cyclocross, I would strongly recommend this bike for commuter use or mixed off/on road use.

Purchased At:   Continental Bike, Hazel Park, MI

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   The LBS swapped in 175 Race Face cranks and different size stem and bars at no charge.

Submitted by David Nilsen from White Hall, MD

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2001

Strengths:    Overall versitility. This bike does it all.

Weaknesses:    Stiff fork

Bottom Line:
You cant miss with this one. My only other adult cycling experience has been on mountain bikes. This has become my oppertunity to commute to work 30 miles-one way. It is a blast to ride. The first 200 miles I put on it I felt like i was being beaten by the front fork, oversized aluminum is a bit harsh, but for the price its not going to be a Rolls Royce. As time and miles went by I found the fork (or my elbows) relaxing. I did however put the Windwood on and its still a great bike. This is my first road bike and would recomend this bike to anyone looking for a first bike. Its light, responsive a great value and the versitility cant be beat. I have had 3 widths of tires, the stock 35mm, the 30mm now I have put on 25mm. The weather is improving and I will be on the mountain bike more but this bike helped me improve during the off season. Buy it you'll love it.

Purchased At:   Horizon Cycles, Baltimore

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   Standard but I recently switched the fork to a Windwood carbon cyclo-cross fork...so far so good. I did add an inner chainring which has allowed climbing the steepest of hills for early season conditioning.

Submitted by Jax The Mad Bomber a Commuter from Hollywood, California, USA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2001

Strengths:    Deda 310 Elementi handlebar / AHeadset headset package makes any turn negotiable on any surface condition. Shorty Avid 6 cantilever brakes have saved my @!*# over and over.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I put an average of 140 miles a week on this bike and let me say that in L.A. traffic, I wouldn't feel safer on anything else. It's lightweight but not skittish or darty. It handles gravel and wet leaves (with racing slicks on it) beautifully. I've been riding alot in the rain lately and it handles spectacularly. Great recreational/commuter/cyclocross bike. You can be sure that you are getting all the bang for all the bucks. Best of all, it is a beautiful machine to look at. I might as well be driving a Ferrari. Do the gnarley, hairball ride!!!

Favorite Ride:   any ride on this bike

Purchased At:   I.Martin Imports

Similar Products Used:   The buck stops here. Look no further than the Bianchi 2001 Axis for all of your cycling needs.

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105 package, RaceFace crankset(converted to a triple chainring - allthough I have yet to use the bottom ring). This bad boy will climb any hill. Shimano XT rear derailluer, Shimano Deore LX front "d".

Submitted by b_dot a Road Racer from lincoln, nebraska

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2000

Strengths:    great value for the $$. well specced. compliant fork. relatively light.

Weaknesses:    possibly a little harsher in the rear end than say, a reparto corse steel frame.

Bottom Line:
i came really close to buying a lemond poprad, and am glad they weren't going to have my size in stock for a while. it swayed me to the bianchi. good choice. superior parts, light frame, compliant fork, sti shifters; it's got good stuff on it. the raceface crank is really cool, and the gearing (36/48 w/a 11-32 cassette) is super flexible and commuter friendly.

The frame has a very stable, even-keeled feel to it. it really isn't that much stiffer than my friend dave's reparto corse frame. it's certainly lighter than the reparto corse frame, which is nice getting it up onto the shoulder.

i raced on a bontrager cross the weekend before i got my axis, and comparing the two reveals that the bonti is a little quicker up front, a little longer for its size (the 56cm bonti has a 57cm TT, the same as a 58cm axis), and a little (just a little) steeper in the seattube than the axis. i like the fork on the bontrager better, but i think that has to do with the fact that it has less offset than the bianchi's 2" rake model. there's where the bomber stability comes from...

all in all, it's a very nice production 'cross bike. it isn't custom, but it is an unparalleled value. a rocky mountain with similar parts costs like $400-500 more.

Favorite Ride:   judd's trail