Cannondale 1999 XS800 Older Cyclocross Bike

4.55/5 (11 Reviews)

1999 Cannondale XS800, cyclocross, Shimano 105 components, CODA Headshok Fatty X fork

Submitted by Dan Swiger a Road Racer from San Jose, CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2001

Strengths:    Versatile bike, Cannondale quality & design. Suites my need for a bike that I can commute, tour, go with my kids, or even do a century on. Head Shok a real plus. Suprising good climber despite extra weight. Stable on descents. Looks BAD in black/yellow

Weaknesses:    Weight, about +2 pounds on my road bike. Campy on selection on stems (expense)

Bottom Line:
This was a great choice. Had three other bikes that didn't cover things, old Mtn bike etc. Thought of converting the old stuff, but this bike does it all. Havent done the off-road thing yet, but took it on my commute and some road climbs. Other than a little heavy, was quite light to handle in the tight stuff. Was able to maintain good speed. It descends pretty good. I need to get a smaller stem, but once dialed in, will use it for a lot of my weekly rides. Can't wait to get some time on the trails with it. Like the others have said, get it a size smaller than you would a regular road bike. I had to return a 58 for a 56 to get sizing right. Pretty long on the top tube.

Purchased At:   Wheel Away Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Merlin Road bike with Campy

Bike Setup:   I bought just frame/fork for $800. After another $500 for components, just got in the road the other day. Campy Ergo 9 speed w/triple, Mavic Open Pros w/23 for the road. Avid Shorty brakes (need tri-dangle for better brake control/adjust). Gianni shock post (no longer avail) and Tierry saddle. Plan getting Mavic touring rim set for off-road setup

Submitted by Alan Morris from London, UK

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2001

Strengths:    Handling, versatility,responce

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
built up for travelling to save taking MTB and road bike and for use when working in Amsterdam. Also for fast mixed on /off raod day/overnight trips.brilliant. With lock out and high pressure it rides like a road bike, with headshock activated and lower pressure its sweet on the trails. USE post takes sting out. We think it comes in at sub-22 lbs.
Cost a s*** load as import duty hurts! but worth it. Cos the set up is custom I got 44cm bars on a small frame to give stand over and a decent road position.
Would suit mtber wanting versatility or road rider wanting to get off road sometimes.

Favorite Ride:   Wales, UK

Similar Products Used:   1983 rigid steel cyclo cross bike, 2001 rigid alu cyclo cross bike (with fenders for winter/wet weather training)

Bike Setup:   Frame only + custoom build up:Campy chorus ergo triple, hope tianium BB, mavic best on hope hubs, michelin sprint clinchers,cinelli eubios, xt pedals,USE xcr seatpost,selle flite

Submitted by Robert a Recreational Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2001

Strengths:    Cannondale quality. Versatility and speed. Durability and confort.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found.

Bottom Line:
It's a great bike. I have different sets of tires and put 700/23 and you'll have a fast confortable ride. Put the regular tires and you'll be able to go off road. It's confortable, fast, durable. Besides minor adjustments I haven't done anything to this bike and I put serious miles on it. If change it for a better bike it will have to be another cannondale. Even the shock it's durable and needs very little maintenance. I've done from fast 20 mile rides, to week long tours, to commuting and I could not expect more versatility from this bike.

Favorite Ride:   70 miles local trail

Purchased At:   SIDS

Similar Products Used:   none for an extended period of time.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAAD 3, Shimano 105 components.

Submitted by JJ a Triathlete from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2001

Strengths:    None

Bottom Line:
I would agree with the previous reviews about the bikes performance, but for one thing, cost of upkeep. After two seasons of New England cyclocross my headshock has failed. The dealer I took it to has kept it for over three weeks now and after runinning the bill up past $60 for a simple tune-up they tell me that it will take another $150 to replace the stripped lockout in the shock cartrage. So, its a great bike if you don't mind lengthy repair sessions and bills in the range of $250 every two years or so. But if money is no object be my guest.

If I had to do it agian, I would go for an Empella Bonfire or some more conventional cross bike. From now on, if I can't fix it myself I won't buy it.

Favorite Ride:   Boston Super Cup @ Devens

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Campy Ergo shifting for reliability, won't lock up in the cold

Submitted by Tim C. a Recreational Rider from Claremont, CA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2001

Strengths:    Headshok is a REAL plus. Lock it out on the road or smooth sprints, let 'er fly when things chop up.

Weaknesses:    The Headshok adds some heft, but worth it, plus it makes the retro-cross guys grimace.

Bottom Line:
It's been a great bike. The headshok gives me the flexibility to run it with my MTB buddies and hear them whine about the advantages of less weight/rolling resistance and not get totally killed on the rough decents (it makes it better, but it's still not a Raven).

Favorite Ride:   GMR

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   First cross bike.

Bike Setup:   Campy Ergo shifters (less likely to make an unintended shift in the rough), shimano ultegra 3x cranks, XT v-brakes with travel agents, XTR front der, XT rear der, ultegra/reflex with michilin sprints. A real mixed bag, but it works.