Cannondale 2000 XS 800 Older Cyclocross Bike

cyclocross, Cross Mix components, Headshok Fatty X, 1.0" travel fork

Submitted by scott a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2003

Strengths:    Solid, beautifully made frame, Great geometry, headshock rocks!

Weaknesses:    Some of the CODA components really suck (saddle, clip in pedals, seatpost) The bike is so pretty everyone asks me about it at stoplights, I'm afraid of getting jacked!

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike after reading all the reviews on this site. I wanted it all, the best of both worlds mtb and roadie. Well, after a year I can honestly say I am in love!!! I live and ride mostly downtown. The streets here are poor and riddled with huge pothole and sunken train tracks from the old days of the train yards (catch your tire and it's over the bars) This bike handles it all well. I don't know what I would do without the headshock! It takes alittle getting used to but now it's second nature to turn it off just before climbs. The bike is a little on the heavy side but not much more than my roomates steel bianchi. It's worth it for the beefy cannondale frame. I feel secure when I'm biking next to bigrigs and battling cars on the commute home from work. I've been hit twice and the frame is still true- I can't say the same for the bianchi. I don't think I'll ever go back to a mountain bike. Viva cannondale!

Favorite Ride:   union station to hollywood via ceasar chavez

Purchased At:   roadbike review clas

Similar Products Used:   specialized rockhopper, custom full suspension(got jacked, schwin le tour luxe, bianchi, dahon

Bike Setup:   Stock with coda suspension post(sucks) and ritchey biomax bars(ergo rocks!, Road tires.

Submitted by CRG a Recreational Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Strengths:    Cannondale craftsmanship . And so far nothing broke . I'm also 6'1" 210 and have broken the crank arm on my Fisher MTB . Everything is stock .

Weaknesses:    I hate to scratch it .

Bottom Line:
Love this bike . The green tires get lots of looks and do grow on you . I use both on and off road . Road bikers are always asking about it mainly because you keep up with them . Offroadies think I'm just nuts riding the drop bars . Plus you gotta like Ultra fork

Favorite Ride:   Bridge the Gap

Purchased At:   Cycle Craft

Similar Products Used:   I own 2 MTBs

Bike Setup:   Stock from the shop Coda hubs,Mavic Rims,105 shifters,deraillers,and rear gears

Submitted by Chad from Bloomington, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2001

Strengths:    ...the impervious Ultra headshok w/ ingenious off mode, the lengthened CAAD3 frame, Cannondale's engineering, material, craftsmanship, and overall performance.

Weaknesses:    ...rear-end mud clearance, Tiagra cassette, CODA cranks (rings ok), a few spokes came loose.

Bottom Line:
I only enjoy products that are a good investment. Trendy usually drops dead under the volitile riding I put a bike through. My priority is MTB racing so this bike was purchased as a road training and CX racing machine. I have made sure to keep the bike in top physical condition and it has done exactly what I've wanted it to do--everything.
The shock only gets shut off during road climbs and only sometimes then. The sprintablity and climbing prowess of the bike is simply amazing (Ksyriums do help as well.) Even the stock wheels are great w/ the exception of a few loosening spokes in the rear wheel (quite possibly from the bike lofting too often.) Off-road the bike is actually faster than my race MTB through the tight singletrack and, of course, the flats. I wanted a bike that could essentially do everything (with the only exception being extreme downhill) and I found it.
My first 2 cross races on the bike landed me a 2nd and 1st respectively with the courses being a well-rounded taste of everything (except ledge drops and weaving boulders.) Mud did little to slow down the bike but there was a large collection at the chainstay/BB union (which I think could use a bit more tire clearance) that seemed excessive. The V-brakes work well (if set up properly) and deliver ample stopping power and rim-clearance despite some sponginess (in-line adjusters a must.) And the Ultra has never been off while off-road. Frankly, I don't know how (or why) you guys on rigid can take the unneccessary beating.
Anyone looking for a road bike on steroids with a fetish for off-road or one tough CXer for 'abusers' can stop researching at this bike. I am a 75in, 200-pounder that breaks bottom brackets (XTR splined not an exception) and I have only needed to warranty the cranks (which is the least amount of warrantied parts on any of my bikes within a year!) It may be a little heavier (22+@58cm), but if it won't break I'll carry it. This bike is the only cross bike for me.

Purchased At:   Bikesmiths 1-800-PRO-BIKE (awesome deals!)

Similar Products Used:   14 mountain bikes, 4 road bikes, 2 cross bikes(unsuspended)

Bike Setup:   XTR (cranks, ders), Thomson post, WTB XR, Salsa bars, 646's, Ultegra 11-27, stock BB, brakes, and 53/39 rings, Ksyriums (for race).

Submitted by Scott a Recreational Rider from Lee's Summit, USA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2000

Strengths:    I bought this bike for a foul weather road bike and it serves that purpose well. Ride is stable and stiff, alumimum won't rust. Headshock takes the edge off the bumps. Frame quality seems to be very good in terms of finish. 105 stuff works well but there is a difference compared to DA. With a road wheelset this bike does not seem to be any slower than my road bikes. I think overall a good bike for the money. I am not a 'crosser so I have nothing to offer with regards to that capability.

Weaknesses:    None really, I bought the suspended version as the difference was small but I'm not sure that I would if I were to do it again. On the road the suspension is annoying if you don't lock it out before you stand to climb. I usually stand and power over short rises and I find myself just leaving it locked, so why have it? I have not ridden on the Coda wheels so I have no comments there. 105 stuff does not shift as quickly as Dura-Ace but a DA gruppo costs the same as this bike so I think that it is not relevant to really compare; 105 performance is certainly acceptable.

Bottom Line:
For my purpose it is great; I would skip the headshock if I were to do it again but it is fun at times. Has opened my eyes to C-dale and I will probably consider their bikes in the future.

Purchased At:   BikeSource

Similar Products Used:   Lots of road bikes, currently a LeMond GLX(pre-Trek) and a Colnago C40 neither of which see rain!

Bike Setup:   Stock except for saddle and wheels.