Ciocc 1999 mockba 80 Older Cyclocross Bike

ciocc mockba 80

Submitted by Greg a Recreational Rider from Akron, Ohio

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Strengths:    This bike is 20-some years old and weighs accordingly, but the only time you feel that weight is when you pick it up. Riding it is like riding an 17 pound bike, very light and responsive. Have I impressed upon you that I like this bike?

Weaknesses:    I don't ride it as much as I wish I could. I wish I could justify building it up with Campy C-Record, maybe some Delta brakes. sigh

Bottom Line:
When I go out to the shop and look at my collection of bikes the Ciocc usually makes me smile the most. Why? Well, this is the frame/name that I fell in love with when I was just kid with a paper route and Italian bikes were far off dreams. Someday I said, someday. Well after many years any many miles (some even on a bike) I finally stumbled across the long-forgotten name staring out at me from an ebay listing. That was all for me, I had to have, to possess, to caress. Little did I know what a treat I was in for. This bike rides beautifully, the only problem is when I am riding it my C-40 gets really jealous-gotta baby those Italian women I guess. I feel like a high school kid all over again. Well, OK maybe College.

Favorite Ride:   Ciocc Mockba

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   The stable includes a Colnago C-40 HP (carbon). A Steel and an aluminum Lemond. I even have a vintage Ciocc time trial frame that I stole (not literally) that I am building up. My wife is starting to

Bike Setup:   Original Campy Victory grouppo, Mavic tubulars. This bike is all (well, almost all) original. My only bow to modern technology is the Fizik Pave seat. (if you don't have a fizik seat yet, good! that means Ican still buy them cheap)

Submitted by Dave Peterson a Road Racer from Las Vegas NV, USA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2003

Strengths:    Steel that last forever, old school geometry is great for climing, stiff yet forgiving, corners like like dream

Weaknesses:    After 23 years can there be a weakness? This bike will outlast Bob Hope!! Although my decals are wearing off.

Bottom Line:
I LOVE my CIOCC MockBa 80 with the little olympic symball. I bought the f/f from a friend for 250. I started racing with it as a junior and still ride it today. It is 23 years old and STILL an awsome frame! Steel last forever! I am currently updating the whole bike with Campy Volace--Hurray Ciocc!

Favorite Ride:   Montains/ hills/ anything up and down

Purchased At:   From a friend

Bike Setup:   Currently Campy Athena with Shimano ultegra drive train--rebuilding with new campy athena--going from downtubes to ergo!

Submitted by Gary Jean a Recreational Rider from Heidelberg, Germany

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2002

Strengths:    Columbus SL tubes, hand brazed microfusion lugs, ideal geometry, appearance (hey...good looks make you ride faster).

Weaknesses:    My legs and lungs.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in 1983 for the princely sum of $1,400, which represented a big chunk of my net worth at the time. After 19 years and more than 50,000 miles, it has become an extension of my body. They will have to pry my cold stiff fingers off the bars to get it away from me. I love this bike. This bike goes uphill by itself. It accelerates out from under me. It handles like a dream. I got a speeding ticket for going 50 mph in a 35 zone and an unsafe passing (of cars) ticket while flying down the Berkeley hills.

The metallic anthracite gray paint, white decals, chrome triangle and chrome sloping crown fork still look as classy as anything on the road. I've been through several sets of wheels (all tubies), a few freewheels, a few saddles, and many chains, but most of the important stuff is the original Campy Record and Super Record. The Columbus SL tubing is responsive and comfortable. Whether doing the Davis Double Century, a hilly road race, or a flat crit, this bike really shines. Even with antique six speed non-indexed gearing, I have no desire to buy a new bike.

Favorite Ride:   Markleeville Death Ride

Purchased At:   Performance mail ord

Similar Products Used:   Wore out several lesser road bikes.

Bike Setup:   52 cm Columbus SL, full Campy R and SR gruppo, 6 speed 13-23, 42-52, downtube shifters, Cinelli bars

Submitted by tjacks a Road Racer from Beaverton, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2001

Strengths:    Longevity, performance and the beautiful attention to details.

Weaknesses:    A little heavier now than the current lightweight frames available.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden my Ciocc (63 cm) since I bought it new in 1984. I'm 6'3" 205 lbs. The Columbus steel tubing is excellent climbing, sprinting and all day in the saddle. Handling at speed is crisp, precise and solid.

Favorite Ride:   Ciocc Mockba '80

Purchased At:   Jake''s Bike Shop (M

Similar Products Used:   This frame has lasted me a lifetime of riding...I've not needed to buy a new one.

Bike Setup:   Originally, all Campy Record and Neuvo Record. Currently, all Shimano Ultegra 9-speed drivetrain.

Submitted by Stan Morey a Recreational Rider from Tampa,FL

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2001

Strengths:    It was light, comfortable, handled well, and the Mavic wheels were virtually indestructible. I rode this bike until 1997!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
I had a 1984 Ciocc Mockba. This was a Columbus steel frame, 54 cm, with Campy Pro Record gruppo, and Mavic GP-4 wheels. This is one of the sweetest rides I have ever ridden. Unfortunately, this bike was stolen!

Favorite Ride:   Antioch