Fuji Bicycles 2000 Cross Older Cyclocross Bike

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

cyclocross, Shimano 105 components, Fuji fork

Submitted by Al Serrao a Recreational Rider from Plano, TX USA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2001

Strengths:    Incredible value,one of the best rides out there,overall high quality and quality componets, nice paint job, relatively light for a cross bike @ 22lbs

Weaknesses:    Poor dealer network,no place to try one out for a ride,clumsey looking stem, worse saddle I've ever been on.

Bottom Line:
I believe Fuji is the best kept secret in the Industry.I've seen their bikes before and I've been very impressed at the quality for the money. If you're on a budget and demand a quality bike you need to see and ride their products. But that's the hard part, trying to find a dealer with Fuji product to ride. I ended up buying over the internet when Colorado Cyclist had several they were clearing out that had small scratchs on the frame.These were built up with Ultegra and Colorado gives a 30 day trial.

I had been looking to upgrade my entry level K2 Resorio and wanted a touring bike with quality componets. It didn't take long to realize there wasn't much out there and what was out there was serious money, around $2500.As I continued to shop and do my research I realized that the frame geometry on most of the cross bikes is similiar to touring bikes. With Colorados' trial and sale I decide to give the Fuji Cross a try.

Well I'm very pleased to say the least. The trails I ride are concrete paved and you invariably get the hops over the joints. The Columbus steel frame, cro-moly fork, 32c tires,Brooks saddle absorbe almost all of it even at speed.This baby is smoooth and lots of power from Ultegra and surprisingly quick in the turns.I love it when the young guys fly past me when we're going downhill and then I blow them out my a-- when we go uphill. Gwd this is fun!If you can get your hands on one of these to ride you're going to love the ride and if you buy one your wallet won't feel so light.

Favorite Ride:   Chisolm Trail

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   I've tried the Fuji Finest and Newest both are good bikes that can't compare to the Fuji Cross.A lot of other road bikes too numerious to remember and all were much more expensive and a hell of lot more uncomfortable and less in the way of componets and frame.I've recently tried a Seven with carbon seat tube and stays and this bike comes closest to the ride of my Fuji Cross at get this 5K.

Bike Setup:   The frame is Columbus Genius double-butted Vanadium.Fuji triple-butted cro-moly fork. Components are Shimano Ultegra 9-speed STI shifters, derailleurs, crankset, headset and bottom bracket.Avid Shorty 4.0 cantilever brakes; 32H Ritchy Aero Pro rims Ritchy Road Comp 9-speed hubs and cassete, double butted stainless spokes and Ritchey SpeedMax Cross 32c tires, handlebar,padded cork tape. Time Alium pedals.I've added a Brooks Champion Flyer saddle, Thompson post,a high rise stem,and pedals.

Submitted by ron walkenbach a Triathlete from coolumbia, Mo USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2001

Strengths:    Good main components (mine came w/ 105). Great peripheral components. Rides great. Outstanding value. Relatively light for steel frame. Very versatile bike.

Weaknesses:    Not geared low enough (for me). Good seat post ,but at 230 mm, it was to short to fit me.

Bottom Line:
I don't cyclocross race. There are probably better cyclocross racers out there - - at MUCH higher prices. I bought this bike as a HD trainer for triathlon racing, for non-loaded touring, and for long distance riding on Rails-to -Tails. It has proven outsanding for these three uses. It's ride is so supple and stable, I hardly want to get back on my racer!
I mostly use 35 mm kevlar cross tires for a mix of road and Katy Trail training. For extended Trail use, the 38 mm Kevlar "knobbies" go on , and if my Giant TCR racer ever broke down before a race, I would put on 26 mm road tires on the Fuji and not lose much time at all. This bike will perform well on everything but serious off-road terrain. There is not a more versatile, well built bike within hundreds of $$ of it price.

Favorite Ride:   Race for Sight Tri Race Course

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   Replaced 105 rear deraillor and 12-25 cassette for XT deraillor and 11-32 cassette. Added Syntace aerobars. Replaced the cheap, plastic sleeves inside the rims w/ rim tape to stop frequent flats.

Submitted by David a Recreational Rider from Houston, TX.

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2000

Strengths:    Comfortable and compliant steel frame;excellent Ritchey aero pro wheels;Ultegra sti components;comfortable Selle Italia saddle

Weaknesses:    cheap no name stem (already cracked at weld after 2 rides)

Bottom Line:
This is the most comfortable road/cross bike I have ever ridden. After riding a stiff alu. Cannondale caad3 frame, I was worried that the steel frame on this bike might be a little too flexy for my 230 lbs. but to my surprise, I really love the compliant ride of this bike. I bought this bike from Colorado Cyclist and when I took it out of the box, I saw that it had come without the correct threadless headset and stem. Called Colorado Cyclist and they are sending me a Cane Creek headset and a Nobilette cross fork and the correct Ritchey stem.
Well, if it weren't for the screw up on the parts kit, I would have to give this bike 5 stars, but as is I will have to rate the bike at 4 stars. I'll post another review after I receive the new fork, headset and stem.
If you are looking for a comfortable, do anything all around go anywhere type of ride, look no further. I also reccomend Colorado Cyclist, they have a great customer service dept.

Favorite Ride:   ant hills / ho-chi-min

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale R500 road bike

Bike Setup:   all stock: Ultegra sti, Ritchey Aero Pro wheels, Ritchey speedmax 32c tires, Selle Italia saddle, Ritchey handlebar

Submitted by jonathan kersting a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2000

Strengths:    Supple ride, solid parts spec, nice price, cool paint.

Weaknesses:    Rear brake wire gouges the old neck when shouldering the rig.

Bottom Line:
For the money you cant find a smoother riding bike for pavement and trails. The Columbus pipes are very compliant. Also the bike's geometry and Speedmax tires make it a great descender on technical trails. The Ritchey hubs, rims, stem, and bar are nice touches. Add the 105 stuff and you got a solid rig that you don't have to worry about getting muddy or wrecked. I'm going to get some cable hangers to move the rear brake cable to a more neck-friendly position. Buy this rig if you're getting bored on both your mountain and road bikes. It'll take you places neither of these bikes can.

Favorite Ride:   Worm Trail, Frick

Similar Products Used:   Redline Team Cyclocross.

Bike Setup:   Totally stock with an Easton EA-70 seatpost.

Suggestion for lightweight "production" cross bike, $2000?

Any suggestions for a nice "production" cross bike? I'll ride it recreationally. I'm a clydesdale and will do about half road miles half gravel trails, 200 or so miles a week. Budget about $2,000.Read More »