GT Bicycles Inc. 2000 ZRX Older Cyclocross Bike

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

cyclocross, Cross Mix components, GT fork

Submitted by a Recreational Rider from Saint Paul, MN

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2002

Strengths:    Frame geometry, 105 components, Time pedals, good cx gearing, unique look, light weight, relatively inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    The rear hub seals do not adequately protect the bearings from water and muck. Also, the rear wheel required constant truing for about the first month of off-road riding. The stock set up does not provide a means of adjusting the brake cables.

Bottom Line:
This is a great cx bike for the amount I paid (got it on clearance). I've read reviews on other sites that criticize the triple triangle design, but I find that this, as well as the oversized top tube, make the bike extremely comfortable for shouldering during those long run-ups. The 22 lb. weight makes it easy to lift over hurdles. The frame geometry makes the bike tight and responsive. It handles curvy singletrack with confidence and climbs like a rocket. It's also fast and responsive on the road. On the downside, the rear wheels could have been built up better. The rims are fine, but the hubs and spoke nipples are suspect. None the less, I competed in five cold and dirty cx races this season, and had only one instance of a minor mechanical glitch. All in all, a reliable, solid bike for someone looking to try a little cyclocross racing. If you should find yourself the owner of one of these fine pieces of machinery, I would recommend that you consider replacing the rear wheel with something of better quality. I would also strongly encourage the addition of in-line cable adjusters for the brakes (installed by a qualified and highly competent bicycle mechanic, of course). I'm giving this bike 5 chilis, partly because I'm biased, partly because I got it cheap.

Favorite Ride:   Any CX course

Purchased At:   Freewheel Bikes

Similar Products Used:   A rigid mountain bike

Bike Setup:   Reversed brake levers, replaced stock tires with Continental Twisters (never flatted @ 80psi), replaced stock saddle with WTB Podium, installed in-line adjusters to brake cables, switching to single 42T chainring for next season, planning to replace stock wheels with Dura-Ace/Open Pro combo over the winter. Also planning to replace stock 105 shifters with Dura-Ace bar-cons to reduce risk of mechanical failure.

Submitted by Skoza a Recreational Rider from Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2000

Strengths:    Hey it's a GT.
Great frame, Good Components and Good all round package.
Bang for Buck is great.

Weaknesses:    Saddle is not really that comfortable, I replaced it.
I've been told hubs and crank is lesser grade, But end of the day you get what you pay for and value for dollar this Tops

Bottom Line:
Great bike, I love the look on MTB riders faces when you rip past them on a trail doing something a MTB should only be doing.
Tyres are great all rounders even on Sealed road you can get some good speed, i changed the tyres over to Continentals road tyres for a road ride to find not a great deal of difference in the overall ride.
If your after a bike that can go anywhere and can get good allround performance then this would have to be it.
Once again Value for Dollar on this bike is great, you can't go wrong.
Bottom line is if you want a mountain bike for pottering around then get one, if you want a high speed bike for training then get one, if you want a everyday all round bike that is great on dirt and off dirt and that is good for commuting then this is it.
I really had to do some research to find what i wanted and this is the best package for my needs with great value to go with it.
Thanks to Hendry Cycles in Ocean Grove, Victoria, Australia for getting me in this bike.

Favorite Ride:   Rail Trails, Mountain bike Tracks

Purchased At:   Hendry Cycles, Ocean Grove, Victoria, Australia

Similar Products Used:   Looked at Kona, Cannondale, Giant. most of the big names were looked at to find tis to be the best value....have i said this before...

Bike Setup:   Std, Replaced Saddle with one off Cannondale

Submitted by Chris Lockwood a Recreational Rider from Cheyenne, WY

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2000

Strengths:    Overall comfortable ride, lightweight, flashy colors. Decent components that can last. This is my first CX bike, have ridden road and mountain and enjoy both, this bike meshes the two together.

Weaknesses:    Cheap crank and hubs, but they seem to do the job.

Bottom Line:
This bike does the job that I expected it to. It's excellent quality for the money and I would recommend it to anybody who is thinking of getting into CX. It's light weight, the Tioga's ride nice and you can't complain about the ITM stem, it gives it a little european flair. Over all it seems to be a well thought out bike.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Station, Cheyenne Wy

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Stock, as it came out of the box. May change crank at a later date.

Submitted by Odd a Recreational Rider from Oslo, Norway

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2000

Strengths:    Price, weight, looks

Weaknesses:    Seat, wheels, brakes

Bottom Line:
I mostly use the bike for commuting and gravel roads in the woods. On the first trip the right STI-lever stopped working (after 18 kms ), but I got a replacement lever whitin a week. Two weeks later a spoke broke in the rear wheel. This wheel spent three weeks in the shop while I used a wheel from my roadbike. One month later another spoke broke, and I am now getting the wheel rebuilt with DT Competition spokes. I did not like the original seat, and I'm now using a Flite Gel. I find the brakes very difficult to adjust ( I have a lot of experience with XT and XTR cantis ) and the barely work when it's wet. I will probably buy a pair of LX V-brakes and a V-dapter for the front wheel.
This is a fine bike for commuting, but it ought to get better wheels and seat.

Similar Products Used:   Kona Jake

Bike Setup:   Original, new seat

Submitted by Tim a Commuter from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2000

Strengths:    Components, price, quality, frame strength, availability in Australia

Weaknesses:    I really havent found any yet. The seat is a little hard, as mentioned by some previous reviewers, but I quite like it so far so may stick with it.

Bottom Line:
The ZRX is a really TUFF bike. When I bought this bike I was really looking for a road bike for commuting and some long
training rides (200-250 km/week). I tried lots of road bikes in this price range but felt that all of them would suffer if used for commuting a lot (strapping battery to frame, hopping curbs, tram tracks etc). I read a review of this bike at MTB Daily and saw the reviews here and thought it was worth trying out. My local GT dealer managed to get hold of a ZRX in my size (even though there is no real cyclocross circuit here in Aus) and it is perfect for me. I have a set of road tires for it but haven't used them yet as the bike feels really good on the Tioga CC tires. I haven't taken it off road yet but cant wait to try. I would definitely recommend the ZRX for anyone looking for a bike to fill a similar role.

Favorite Ride:   Dandenongs

Similar Products Used:   No cyclocross bikes as there just arent that many down here, several similar priced road bikes (Giant TCR 2) and my Specialised Stumpjumper MTB.

Bike Setup:   As spec'd, may change the seat at some stage.