GT Bicycles Inc. 2001 ZRX Older Cyclocross Bike

Submitted by Atomic Smoke a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff frame, excellent geometry. Avid brakes provide tons of stopping power.

Weaknesses:    Stiff frame. Lack of barrel adjusters for brakes, non-cartridge brake pads.

Bottom Line:
A very race-oriented 'cross weapon. The stiff 7005 frameset accelerates and climbs like a rocket, but also delivers quite a pounding on longer rides (i.e. 2 hours or more). The geometry is pretty decent for the typical 'cross course, even to the point of being stable on steep descents. I plan on using this bike as a commuter in the spring, so a carbon fork and seatpost are high on my list of future upgrades. The Shimano 105 9-speed drivetrain shifts much better than I expected, even in severe mud.

In my first cross race, I amputated the rear derailleur hangar due to a mis-set limit screw which allowed the derailleur to catch a spoke. It took a week for a spare hangar to come in from GT, and I ordered 2 spares to be safe, but it was nice to know that even though GT no longer makes road bikes, spare parts are still available for them. While I've read some reviews complaining about the triple-triangle setup for portaging, I've had no problems at all with this, especially since all the cables are routed on top of the top tube - no cable stops digging into your shoulder.

The GT-brand components - seatpost, stem, hubs - all seem to function well, although only time will tell with the hubs. The Vuelta crankset looks kinda cheap, but is forged and does the job. The Tioga Route 66 cross tires work pretty well all-around, providing decent tracion in the mud without giving up much on the pavement. Avid Shorty 10 cantis provide great stopping power, but without barrel adjusters setting them up can be a bear, so I added a set. I'll also switch to cartridge pads as soon as the first set wears out. The Selle Italia XO saddle is a nice touch as well.

All in all, I'm very happy with this bike. I don't know if I would have paid full price ($1395) for this, but at $900 including tax, it was a great buy. I wouldn't recommend it as an all-day bike, though - the frame is too stiff and unforgiving for that. 5 chilis for value (you can't touch a 105-equipped cross bike for this price - most are only Sora/Tiaga mixes), and 5 chilis overall, since I bought this bike primarily to race 'cross - which this bike is purpose built for.

Purchased At:   Marty's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   None - first 'cross bike I've owned. All of my road bikes over the years have been steel.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock set-up - 105 drivetrain w/Vuelta 'cross crank, Mavic CXP21 rims w/GT hubs, Avid Shorty 10 brakes. Added barrel adjusters to brakes and switched brake cables to 'cross style (left brake to rear, right to front). Also switched to a standard SPD pedal from the Time Aliums, which now adorn my Sugar race bike.