Gunnar 1999 Crosshairs Older Cyclocross Bike

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Gunnar Crosshairs

Submitted by Jim a Road Racer from CA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2000

Strengths:    Reynolds 853 Frame
Price
Reynolds 531 fork with extra mud clearance
Stable handling
Great Customer Service with Gunnar and my Local Dealer, both went the extra mile to get me my frame quickly.
Fast Fast Fast

Weaknesses:    I don't ride my Felt F1 Road bike very much any more, and I have not touched my mountain bike since I got the Gunnar.
I would have liked a nice metal cable stop for the front and rear brake to set up the canties, the ones I got from QBP are a bit weak.

Bottom Line:
A true all-rounder this bike does it all. On a Saturday I can ride it with the road groups in the morning and go play in the woods in the afternoon.

I raced it in about 6 cyclocross races last fall and everything was supurbe.

I have used it for commuting with about 30 pounds of textbooks in the panniers and the bike still rides true.

This price for a 853 bike is unbeatable.

In august I am doing a loaded tour on it, 500 miles camping in 8 days. So far all the short trips I have made loaded have been fine.

Similar Products Used:   An old Trek set up for Cross. An old Bridgestone MB-3 set up for cross.

Bike Setup:   Campy Chorus with racing triple rear derailuer, D/A front Derailuer.
Chris King Headset
Time ATAC Pedals
Either LX triple or old D/A cranks depending on what I am doing.
Spinergy Rev-X with Michelin cyclo-cross muds for off-road or racing, Mavic Reflex 32 spoke with cheesy Cheng Shin hybrid tires for road.
Old XT cantis for brakes.

Submitted by Timothy McNamara a Road Racer from St. Paul MN

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2000

Strengths:    The Crosshairs seems to be extremely well designed in terms of geometry. It is stable and responsive, quite useable as a road racing bike (I've been using this as my prmary road bike because it's so nice, leaving my Ritchey Road Classic hanging up) and even for crits, yet it has a very sure feeling ride on dirt with knobbies. I use 28 mm Avocet slicks on the road and 28 mm Ritchey 'cross tires in the dirt. One bike, basically does it all (though I haven't tried touring with it). The value for money factor seems very high, and the builders (Waterford) come with an outstanding reputation for quality and standing behind their product. Frame and fork seem very well built, and Waterford was very accomodating in some non-standard specs (threaded, painted fork instead of threadless chromed fork) for a very nominal cost.

Weaknesses:    I can think of one relatively minor quibble. Lugless frames should have reinforcing rings around the ends of the head tube to reduce the risk of ovalizing the head tube if a large bump is hit... which is inevitable on a 'cross bike.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic, versatile bike that deserves to be used for a lot more than 'cross. Could be the only bike you need to own, even if you road race. More versatile than any other 'cross bike I've ever seen. Be ready for funny questions from hidebound neotraditionalists on carbon fiber Shimagnolo steeds. You'll get different questions at 'cross races, which start with "cool rig..."

Similar Products Used:   Rivendell All-Rounder
Ritchey Road Classic

Bike Setup:   Suntour Superbe Pro derailleurs, Shimano Ultegra bar-cons; on the road, Mavic Cosmic Experts with Avocet 700 x 28 slicks, on the dirt a mongrel set of wheels (Bullseye rear hub with Regina 12-26 F/W, Mavic 501 front hub, Ritchey 28 mm 'cross tires); Mafac cantis and Dia-Compe 287 levers; Thompson seat post and WTB SST saddle; Salsa stem and Nitto/Rivendell Mod 176 bars.

Submitted by BDW a Road Racer from Portland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2000

Strengths:    Price, Reynolds 853, good company backing, gloss black (stealth)

Weaknesses:    Possibly trying to do too much

Bottom Line:
This is probably the best value going in a 'cross frame. Reynolds 853 tubing, nicely welded makes for a decent light and tough machine. Sloping top tube is a nice touch adding that extra clearance for the boyz.

Similar Products Used:   Kelly Knobby-X, Steelman

Bike Setup:   kitted it out with my old Sachs New Success Ergo and Cane Creek Crono Cross wheels.

Submitted by ZoomBoy a Racer from Worcester, MA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 1999

Strengths:
Reynold's 853 tubes
affordable
quality build
plenty of mud clearance
will fit up to 38's

Weaknesses:
no cable stop for rear brake made set-up of cantilever brakes difficult

Bottom Line:
For the money the Crosshairs can't be beat. This bike is definately all business. It's a no frills frame but that doesn't reflect on the quality or the looks. This frame replaced a stiff aluminum frame and the difference in the ride was a revelation. The Gunnar rides so smoothy yet has great snap when you really apply the power to the pedals. It handles the rough stuff with aplomb yet it isn't a noodle during a sprint. At speed the ride is stable yet when I took it into the single-track I was amazed at how well it handles. I've raced it a few times and I've been pleased. If you want to set it up with canti's be prepared to get creative though. There isn't a cable stop welded onto the frame. IMHO canti's are the way to go for CX. But, overall I'm pleased with my purchase.