Ibis Cycles Inc. 1999 Hakkalugi Older Cyclocross Bike

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Ibis Hakkalugi

Submitted by TelemarkTumalo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2007

Strengths:    Comfort, tough as nails, ride quality, adaptable, the coolest name in the business, and who can resist a hand job every time they ride?

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
This is a great all around bike for road, fire road and simple single track, commuting, cafe runs, groceries, etc. This bike is more fun than it should be. No gee whiz technology, just old school steel and traditional relaxed angles that gobble up pot holes with ease. I've done three day tours with paniers, have fenders on for winter commuting, and can fly on the local single track trails. It is tough, simple and bullet proof. Plus, it has just about the coolest name in cycling. Ibis is back with a vengance with their new carbon fiber mountain bike and road bike. The Hakkalugi stands as a testament to the past of this great company.

Favorite Ride:   Bend to Sisters and Mackenzie Pass Loop

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   DuraAce 9 spd. STI shifters and medium cage rear derailleur, 12-27 Ultegra Cassette, FSA compact front derailleur, Ritchey 175 mm double crank with 38-46 Blackspire compact chainrings, Chris King headset, Ibis titanium stem, Bell MotoLap drop bar, Egg Beater pedals, Fizik Gobi saddle, Thomson Elite seatpost, Shimano canti brakes, Shimano WH550 wheels, Ritchey Cross Tires

Submitted by Greg a Recreational Rider from Jupiter, Florida

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2000

Strengths:    Well built, nice components, sweet ride.

Weaknesses:    None on my bike

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike off of my lbs's mechanic. He injured his back and cannot ride. I bought it as a road bike to do a couple of 20-25 mile rides per week as training for mountain biking. I got a great deal on the bike even though the mechanic had $2,800 into it at cost. To be honest, I couldn't even appreciate how nice he had this bike set up until I rode it. I know that it isn't as light as a traditional road bike but that doesn't keep me and it from riding hard. It rides nicer than a road bike in that it takes small potholes and the like with ease. I can see why people commute with this bike. Anyway, this bike is tricked to the max and I love it. However, I live in Florida and it is FLAT as a school girl here. Therefore, I would sell it to purchase a nice road bike if the right opportunity presented itself. Until then, I will continue to love riding this bike.

Favorite Ride:   Jupiter Island

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   54 cm with Dura Ace brakes, shifters, rd, Ultegra fd, XTR cranks and hubs, Primo TTT bars, Salsa stem w/Ti hardware, Ti brakes, and other beautiful components.

Submitted by Rick Brinkman a Commuter from Grand Junction,CO

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Strengths:    Versitility

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
Great all around bike. I ride this bike to work 3-4 days a week over varing terrain, it gives me a lot of confidence
to know I can bail off the pavement if I need to, but it's
almost as fast as my Bianchi road bike. I ride this bike up the Colorado National Monument in the spring when there is
lots of gravel on the road with the low gearing it makes it a breeze. It is heavier than a road bike about 23 lbs. If you could only own 1 bike(God Forbid) this would be a great one to have.

Favorite Ride:   Pollack Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Many Road and MTB.
Current Bikes: Ibis Hakalugi, Merlin Echo, Bianchi TSX

Bike Setup:   Full Ultegra 9 spd,XT hubs w/open pro rims, Geax Blades, WTB
Ti saddle, Control Tech SP, Salsa Stem, 3T Bar. Paul's Brakes.

Submitted by Steve a Road Racer from Midland, Michigan

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2000

Strengths:    PERFECT FRAME GEOMETRY,AWESOME PAINT JOB, COOL NAME,FLAWLESS WELDS, FAMOUS "HAND JOB" STIFF FRAME

Weaknesses:    COST

Bottom Line:
THIS IS ONE ALL AROUND TUFF BIKE.I HAVE COMMUTED TO WORK,RODE SINGLE TRACK ,HAMMERED DIRT ROADS AND RACED SEVERAL CYCLOCROSS RACES WITH THIS LUGI AND ITS STILL GOING STRONG!IF YOU WANT ONE AWESOME ALL AROUND BIKE, BUY YOURSELF A HAKKALUGI!!!!!

Favorite Ride:   Senic 119 out of Harbor Springs to the Big Mac bridge

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   3T BAR WITH SYNCROS THREADLESS STEM,KRIS KING HEADSET,SYNCROS SEAT POST,CAMPAGNOLO RECORD ERGO SHIFTERS,DERAILLUERS,RACE BB AND CRANKS,FLITE SADDLE,AVID BRAKES,SPINERGY WHEELS WITH VITTORIA 700X28 CROSS TIRES,747 PEDALS.

Submitted by Paul Heinrich a Weekend Warrior from Lewisburg, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2000

Strengths:    wonderfully comfortable ride, beautifully finished, light, fast, tough

Weaknesses:    my wife has an identical Hakkalugi and it's paint seems
soft. This has not been a problem with my ride.

Bottom Line:
My wife and I bought nearly identical Hakkalugis while living in Occidental, CA (home of Ibis). We wanted first class bikes which could take the place of both our road and mountain bikes. We use our 'lugis for road, fire road, single track, commuting, and plan to use them for touring. We looked at several brands of cyclocross bikes (Litespeed, Redline, Richey) before deciding on the Ibis. We went with the Ibis due to the plushness of the bike's ride (we test rode each make), the Ibis rep, and the apparent quality of the bikes we saw in various shops. Ours were ordered through Dave's Bike Shop in Santa Rosa, CA and semi-custom painted by Ibis. While the workmanship and finish on the bikes is first rate, what is really great about them, is the way they ride. Whether on or off-road they are very fast and track like they were on rails. They have also held up very well after being ridden through Pennsylvania's crappy winters (snow, slush, salt), though we do baby our bikes. If you are looking for a bike that rides well both on and off road (and looks great) the Ibis Hakkalugi would be a good choice. It's particularly good for hyper-long rides which include off- and on-road sections.

Favorite Ride:   Armstrong Redwoods, Sonoma, CA