Jamis 2001 Nova Older Cyclocross Bike

Submitted by RoadLoad a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2007

Strengths:    Very stable at speed. Nimble and responsive when stepping on it. Smooth, smooth, smooth - it is steel. Its much tighter and responsive than my IF Planet X - go figure? Price.

Weaknesses:    Paint could be better. Already there are nicks and scratches. Beats me where they come from but they're there.

Bottom Line:
This review is for a 2001 Nova frame. I bought it off EBay as NOS to build up as a commuter bike. I knew nothing about Jamis Nova frames before I bought it and I want to crow about how happy I am with it.

This is simply a great frame! It rides so smoothly and is so nimble and responsive. I love it! It's essentially replaced my spiffy road bike. I changed my commute from 13 mile to 20 each way because it's such a great ride. It comes with the eyelets for fenders or panniers. If you come across one grab it. You will be pleased as well.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere for more then 20 miles

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Kinesis Superlight, IF Planet X, Specialized Allez Pro.

Bike Setup:   DA 9 speed drive train, Supergo Corso wheels, Avocet Cross II tires.

Submitted by smcintos a Recreational Rider from Saint Joseph

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2003

Strengths:    Sturdy, nice componets and well made.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I am a big guy and needed a sturdy bike to handle me. I researched and found for the money the Nova was the best buy. The bike rides very smooth and has been trouble free so far. I think the componets are a little better then Sora and seem to work perfect.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock, Trek 720

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by chris johnson a Recreational Rider from madison, wi usa

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2002

Strengths:    Looks cool; steal frame (even so, very unforgiving while mt biking), Tiagra components workd great and hard (even though cheap); shifts excellent; aggressive geometry (likes to stay on the ground and likes to turn on dirt better than on pavement)

Weaknesses:    Tiagra is a good deal for the money, but the hubs are cheap. I have severely pitted (and replaced) the races on my front hub so many times, so many times. But then I am mt bking on the thing. The 2002 Nova has better Richie hubs front and back. The the cables up front are routed poorly. Fixed on the 2002 (But the 2002 now looks like a bunch of hype, and a less comfy sadle).‹

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike so that I would have something other to spin long road miles on other than my mt. bike, plus I needed a tough commuter, plus I was thinking about trying some cross riding. But hey, who wants to ride on a grass football field. This bike is an excellent commuter, surviving the asphalt jungle with no problem. But then last year I blew the forks on my mt bike. No way was I going to stop mt biking. So, I started taking Nova to all of the exact places that I mt biked, 80 % cross country. I hit it all. I had no idea that this bike could take it. I had to true the wheels after every ride, but not too much. But this bike took it! (Sure, there are some dishes in the rims that are not going to come out.) I still have not bothered to get new forks for my mt bike yet (very soon, for Nova can't go on like this forever). I had no idea that this bike was this tough. I can log 30 x-country miles on sunday, true the wheels, and then do 40 road miles on monday. I love this bike.

Favorite Ride:   this bike: kettle moraine

Purchased At:   Mike's bike and ski

Similar Products Used:   First cross bike

Bike Setup:   Stock (have only replaced hub races and cables/housing, and I have logged hundreds on mt biking, not

Submitted by funchallenge a Recreational Rider from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Strengths:    solid, smooth, decent specs, incredible price

Weaknesses:    none encountered

Bottom Line:
Having formerly toured with a low-end mountain bike I'm looking forward to trying it with the efficiency of this much lighter bike. As a recreational roadie, commuter, tourer, this bike is perfect for me, and unless I start racing there is no reason for me to change. There is nothing particularly “sexy” about this bike, with the exception of the paint; but it’s solid, smooth, fun and extremely versatile.
Less than a week after I got this bike I had my worst crash to date (my own stupidity). The bike flipped many times in the air and landed on the rear derailleur. The derailleur hanger was bent but I didn’t even notice it at first because nothing else loosened up, the entire bike still felt as tight as it did when I rolled it out of the store. BikeTek fixed the hanger for free on the thirty-day tune up and I’ve never had a problem with the bike since.

Favorite Ride:   any warm, dry, low traffic day

Purchased At:   BikeTek, PGH, PA

Similar Products Used:   low end GT mountain bike

Bike Setup:   stock, except for commuting lights

Submitted by Robin Westcott a Recreational Rider from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Strengths:    comfortable ride, smooth, solid, decent specs, incredible price.

Weaknesses:    none encountered

Bottom Line:
Having formerly toured with a low-end mountain bike I'm looking forward to trying it with the efficiency of this much lighter bike. As a recreational roadie, commuter, tourer, this bike is perfect for me, and unless I start racing there is no reason for me to change. There is nothing particularly “sexy” about this bike, with the exception of the paint; but it's solid, smooth, fun and extremely versatile.

Favorite Ride:   any warm dry day with little traffic

Purchased At:   BikeTek, PGH, PA