Kona 2000 Jake the Snake Older Cyclocross Bike

4.65/5 (23 Reviews)

cyclocross, Shimano 105 components, Kona Project 2 fork

Submitted by Eric a Recreational Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2002

Strengths:    Frame and fork are awesome. 105 works flawlessly. Avid brakes a more than adequate.

Weaknesses:    Stock crank, SDG seat, bars and stem. A suspension seatpost is probably in the future.

Bottom Line:
I originally purchased this bike to ride on in the winter (when its sloppy and salty.) It still has the Axial Pro Winter tires on it, but I'm still riding it in August. It fits me better than any road bike ever has. I have put off buying a road bike and ride this instead, on road and off. The gearing is lower than a typical road bike, but I have never ran out of gears on the road. Off road, the gearing makes you run the big hills, but thats what cross racing is all about. I have no trouble keeping up with my roadie buddies and I struggle a little, but I can even ride with my fat tire friends as well.

Favorite Ride:   Fort Custer

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105, Mavic Xp23, Lx front hub, Axial Pro tires, Control Tech bars and stem, Filte Gel Seat,

Submitted by adinar a Recreational Rider from Maumelle, AR

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Strengths:    Great components for the price, flashy looking, versatile on different types of terrain.

Weaknesses:    Only 2 chainrings - makes serious climbs a bit tougher; Nothing else worth mentioning.

Bottom Line:
I got a great deal on this as it was a "previously barely ridden" bike. Was looking for a road bike to complement my mountain bike, but after riding this for 6 months, I've barely touched my mountain bike. Can ride this everywhere I usually ride (road, paved trails, dirt/gravel trails). It's light, fast, and I love the way it looks. I've definitely enjoyed riding a lot more with my Jake than ever before. For someone who doesn't race, it doesn't bother me that it's not a full road bike. It still feels like it to me and I'm comfortable on it which is what matters. Love the look I get from mtn bikers when I blow by them on dirt/gravel sections on what looks like a road bike. Still haven't switched over completely to road tires but plan to sometime this year. Value rating of 5 b/c I paid 1/2 price for an almost completely brand-new bike. If you do a mix of road and trail riding, you won't be disappointed with this bike. However, I noticed that some of the newer models have lesser components (Sora instead of 105s) so be warned.

Favorite Ride:   Millenium Trail, North Little Rock, AR

Purchased At:   Chainwheel

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Stock, except with Thompson Elite seatpost, Speedplay Frog clipless pedals

Submitted by stvanderzanden a Recreational Rider from Portland, Or

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2002

Strengths:    Handling. Frame. Wheels.

Weaknesses:    Kept bashing my left knee against the stem bolts on steep climbs out of the saddle. Bars were too narrow. Both fixed for less then 25 bucks

Bottom Line:
This bike is my all around beast. Commute, Trail, Road. This bike is all you need. Feels stable at any speed, any terrain.

Favorite Ride:   Hagg Lake (without pipe bombs)

Purchased At:   Seattle Bike Swap(ne

Similar Products Used:   GT ZR5000(road)custom build
GT Avalanche(Mt.) Custom build

Bike Setup:   Stock, xcept Stem (Kore lite), Cranks (Race Face Next LP's)

Submitted by kent johnson a Commuter from burlington,vt

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2002

Strengths:    105 group works great
light/stiff
great value
glowing graphics

Weaknesses:    the fork is club-like, unbreakable but lacks finess
saddle is good for sliding on and off of but not that comfortable (the other reviewer is right, bikes should come w/out pedals or saddles)

Bottom Line:
i was going to buy a klein mtb but before i bought it i borrowed a jts for the weekend. it was amazing, it could go over log piles, FLY down single-track, and didn't need a granny gear to rocket up hills. on decents my suggestion is to just keep the bike upright and let it decide where to go. before i made my final decision, i compared it to the other 'cross bikes available (from the shop i worked at). trek xo-1: components too low end. bianchi axis: real nice but too much money and none in stock. litespeed: ya, right. out of the jts's in stock, some had mich. sprints others mud, diacoms or avid brakes, silver or black seat posts w/either single bolt or two bolt, different front skewers, and two types of saddles. my set-up at time of purchase: 55cm (slight toe overlap, nice and short tt (in retrospect, wider bars would have been better)), mich. muds (they seem to corner better because of their rounder profile, the sprint's shoulders make the tire feel weird when cornering), avid brakes, two bolt seat post (silver), also, xt cass & xt rear der, 515's and orange tape. the bike has held up great through year round riding in all conditions in vermont. the jts is a bit on the harsh side and i plan to put a carbon fork and seatpost on it when funds are available. for cx racing it is amazingly quick and felt very stable. i even used it in a mtb race (on a fairly non-technical course) and my time improved over my mtb. for winter commuting (and trail riding) i use nokian studded tires and fenders and lights (of course). i strongly suggest this bike or cross bikes in general, they are a blast!

Favorite Ride:   in snow

Purchased At:   earl''s cyclery & fi

Similar Products Used:   i have ridden many bikes, very few are similar to jts

Bike Setup:   105 w/xt cass & r.der., 515's, tires: mich. mud, nokian studs, conti top touring 2000's, mich. 23'

Submitted by Spacer a Recreational Rider from Little Rock, AR

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2002

Strengths:    Nearly everything. I have three sets of tires that drastically transform Jake: 38c kevlar Continental commuters, 23c Axial Pros, and the original green knobblies. With the Axials I keep up with the better riders in my club, with their pure road machines. WhooooooIEEEE!

Weaknesses:    The SDG seat had to go.... I was way too numb. Once that changed I could tour all day. Also, within 3 months I had broken 2 spokes (massive leg strength? hehe) and had the rear wheel relaced with good Wheelsmith spokes, though the hub and rim seem stout enough. front brake was noisy, but I've learned to handle that.

Bottom Line:
This bike was an impulse buy, and even then I put it on layaway. Alas, after hopping back on my old Trek I had to scrape up the rest and pick up Jake. I'm wondering whether my landlord will charge me for having a roommate or a pet with Jake inside....

Favorite Ride:   Mountain View, AR