Cannondale 1999 H500 Older Hybrid Bike

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

1999 Cannondale H500, hybrid, Hybrid Mix components, Cannondale fork

Submitted by Dave Girolami a Commuter from Toronto

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2001

Strengths:    Solid feel on road

Weaknesses:    Brakes

Bottom Line:
I needed a bike that was responsive and reliable, and just felt like quality as that's the kind of consumer I am. This is my first real "Bike" so I really can't compare it long term to anything else, but so far, this bike has been amazing. It's quick for a hybrid (like to race couriers from time to time) shifts like a dream, has needed no maintenance other than the regular spring and fall tuning. It's light to I can take it pretty much anywhere, and it looks great. I tested many before buying Trek, Specialized, Giant etc. but this one had the feel and options all in one. If you are sure of buying a Hybrid, I would definately consider this line. The only drawback so far has been that I find the brakes to be a little softer than I would like, and they seem to make a lot of noise on the rim...but that could just be that I need tuning or upgrading...overall...I have had a great time so far.

Favorite Ride:   Along the lakeshore

Purchased At:   Pedler cycle

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Stock from the store with the addition of Nimbus FX (slicks) for better street performance, and, Rapid Fire shifting as I didn't like the original

Submitted by Kirk Rogers a Recreational Rider from Altadena, Ca

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2000

Strengths:    Good light frame, good components, great bike.

Weaknesses:    Not a great long distance riding bike (100 miles, in a single day).

Bottom Line:
This bike had to be a little set up as I started to ride more and more. It has several 1,000 miles and with the new wheel set it is incredible. Mine is a 1998 H-700 version and it is very nice. I have upgraded to a race bike but my hybrid is a special bike for me.

Favorite Ride:   San Gabriel River to the Seal beach

Purchased At:   Pro bikes/Helen's in Arcadia, Ca

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale H-300, CannondaleH-200 & Cannondale F-700 converted with street tires.

Bike Setup:   New XT wheel set, handlebars, seat post and seat.

Submitted by vaughn tiedeman a Recreational Rider from N. Arlington NJ

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2000

Strengths:    weight,durability,brakes,handling.

Weaknesses:    Haven't discovered any yet.

Bottom Line:
Purchased the bike used. It was originally ridden very hard, and I continued that practice. It has held up amazingly well. The alum. frame is very stiff and precise on the road, however this is a downfall on trails.(Very harsh ride on hard terrain)I would rate it 80%road/20% trails. Its a great go anywhere do anything bike. It has also served my pretty well as a slow touring bike. If your positive you want a Hybrid bike- this would be my suggestion.

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Several Hybrid bikes

Bike Setup:   Shimano LXT. Aluminum Frame.

Submitted by Joseph a Weekend Warrior from Monsey, NY

Date Reviewed: July 6, 1999

Strengths:
Weight, Handling, Shifting, Braking

Weaknesses:
Seat does not stay fixed in position.

Bottom Line:
This bike is an absolute pleasure. Is responsive in maneuvering, shifting and braking. I use the bike for touring on a mix of 80% road and 20% trail riding on packed dirt / gravel trails. The padded seat is especially comfortable on rides of 30 - 50 miles.I did feel that the standard seat position was too far forward and shifted it back as far as possible. The only problem with this position is that the seat will sometimes tilt up slightly after landing from a severe bump. (If not for this annoyance, I would award 5 stars)