Diamondback 2001 Approach Older Hybrid Bike

Submitted by Terry Scott a Recreational Rider from Independence

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2003

Strengths:    It seems to be durable enough for cutting accross vacant lots and pot holes. Smooth ride on rode or gravel. Larger knobs on tires make gravel riding easier tha my wifes Hybred.

Weaknesses:    NO chain guard. I got holes in more than one pair of pants until I tied my pant lag out of the way.

Bottom Line:
I ride between 10 and 20 miles an outing.
I had a problem with pedal axle screw shearing off and the chain broke once the first month. Since then I have had no problems. The bike rides and shifts very smooth.
I put handle bar extenders for more places to put my hands on longer rides.
I have lower back problems and I installed a longer shock absorbing stem to sit more upright on the bike. I get a very comfortable ride.

Favorite Ride:   Little Blue or Katy Trail

Purchased At:   Bike Stop

Similar Products Used:   I have ridden my wifes Specialized 18 speed. The seat is too close to the handle bars for me. [it fits her fine]
I prefer the extra low gear for hills and the smaller knobs on the tires make it harde

Bike Setup:   I regeared my 21 speed bike for better riding up hills. My lowest gear is about .82 to 1. instead of .95 to 1
I sacrificed My highest gear, but I usually just coast down hill any way.

Submitted by Arthur Hensler a Commuter from Akron, Ohio

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Strengths:    Nice bike, rides fast for a hybrid. Geared nicely, generally rode in middle gear in front, only changing the rear derailler, except for larger hills. Tires (700x42) are big enough to eat up bad roads, but I've had problems finding replacements larger than 700-38.

Have surprised lots of folks by keeping up with them on this suspension-free steel hybred.

Weaknesses:    Replaced the stem for a considerably longer one, made riding much more comfortable. Seems like I'm always fiddling with the derailer adjustments so they'll shift when I want them to -- glad that I can do it while riding. Would like the bars to be less straight across so my hands can go to a more relaxed position.

Not a problem with the bike, but I would like a better bag system for reasonable $ that works well for commuting.

Bottom Line:
Great value.

Nice bike for commuting -- 8 miles each way, and for longer trips, only gone up to 40 miles on a trip with this bike so far, but it has performed nicely. Currently looking for a similar bike, but with chain guard & fenders for all weather commuting.

Very nice for a big man like me!

Favorite Ride:   30 miler on Fridays