Giant 1999 Option Older Hybrid Bike

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

1999 Giant Option, hybrid, Hybrid Mix components

Submitted by Bill a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2017

Strengths:    Brilliant bike. I love this frame. Tough and comfortable.

Weaknesses:    The suspension seat post while comfortably cushioning my ride for more thanl 16 years of commuting and touring 12 Canadian months a year, has recently taken to working itself apart. The original wheels and rear derailleur were clear cost saving items for the manufacturer.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike farther than anything else I have had. From bike packing tours to my current 3.5km round trip commute these days, this bike has only once disappointed. It is comfortable and as capable as whoever has the saddle. Quality upgrades to the componentry (almost everything) have been fabulous investments. The one bad day I had way back when involved four or five spokes on the rear surrendering in the apex of a fast slightly downhill right-hand bend. The wheels were obviously cheap so rather than rebuilding them I twisted the spokes out of the way and immediately bought the best set of wheels I could afford. Solid upgrades to almost everything else through the years have been wonderful investments. Great bicycle. Has taken everything my 220-250lb body mass has thrown at it with aplomb.

Favorite Ride:   Bala, Ontario to Killbear Provincial Park, Ontario.

Purchased At:   Ziggy's in Kitchener

Bike Setup:   Commuter/tourer, panniers, full fenders, upgrades all over the beast.

Submitted by Johnny Panic a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2015

Strengths:    This bike may be my oldest friend and has taken me tens of thousands of miles.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't stop quickly enough because it's oh so fast and just wants to keep going.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike used in July of 2000 at a bike shop on Massachusetts Ave in Cambridge (right near MIT), and have ridden it everywhere around Metropolitan Boston, the Nashoba Valley, Cape Cod, and the mountain highways of northern New Hampshire. After 15 years, it rides as good as new (albeit with a new bottom bracket, a bell, several sets of wheels, brake pads, a new saddle, and new grips). I've pimped it out with some pretty good lights, a speedometer/odometer, a new backrack and panniers for when I need to go grocery shopping or away for the weekend. One time, I brought to be tuned up at a local nonprofit bike shop/school and the technician suggested I trade it in for one of their rebuilt bikes because he knew how awesome it is. I said no, because I too know how awesome it is. I still have them fix it there because the guy demonstrated his good taste and knowledge about bikes. This is the best bike for the urban rider. Or the suburban rider. It's pretty good in the country too. This was the best $220.00 I've ever spent (and $220.00 was a lot more for me in 2000 than it is in 2015).

Favorite Ride:   Around Cape Ann.

Purchased At:   Cambridge Bicycle

Submitted by Don Winkle a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2010

Strengths:    Everything about this bike is it's Strengths

Weaknesses:    None found yet.

Bottom Line:
I was riding my Old Huffy timberline around town & came uppon a yard sale, There were 3 bikes all with flat tires & chain not all the way on. I ask how much for the Giant she said oh the big one I don't know I just have to get rid of all this stuff. I said I have a $10.00 bill with your name on it & OMG she went for it. I only bought the bike for it's gell seat & handle bars but my wife Loved everything about it. I had to put the chain back on & get an inner tube that's it.

Favorite Ride:   Option Giant

Purchased At:   Yard sale

Similar Products Used:   GM Denali

Bike Setup:   As is.

Submitted by scayf a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2002

Strengths:    Steel is real. For being an "ATB", the geometry is more of a road frame. 17 1/2" chainstays for pannier clearance. Smooth, comfy ride, agile, flawless operation, and fast (even with "fat" 27" x 1 1/4" tires).

Weaknesses:    Tips the scales at 28 pounds (heavy? Only if you're a weight-weenie).

Bottom Line:
I rescued this thang from a pawn shop over two years ago, and it was damn near trash. But the frame was straight and solid. It's older than a '99, but screw it. I stole the BB spindle and bearings, headset, double crankset, drop bars, seat post, and 27" wheelset from my wife's old Raliegh Record roadie, scarfed up some Schwinn brake and shifter levers, Shimano 535s, Tioga BB cups, second-hand Alivio cantilever brakes, new cables and housings, and the seat off my GT Aggressor (a new Brooks B66 Champion is sitting in the closet, waiting for my b-day next week), totally stripped it down and re-built it into a touring bike. I'd ride this baby to Mars and back.

Favorite Ride:   everywhere

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Bike Setup:   New Shimano Tourney derailers, Alivio cantilever brakes, 535 clipless pedals, rear cargo rack, Catey

Submitted by scout a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2002

Strengths:    Steel is real, very strong and absorbs road vib great. Comfortable and smooth. Shifts far better than I ever expected from such a low end bike.

Weaknesses:    Weight. But the flip side of that is when I get on my Road racer I can zoom after cranking a heavy bike.

Bottom Line:
This bike has held up to some harsh trails. I'm amazed the rims are still very true. Stock tires ride well on road but sink in sand. Very comfortable on long rides. I've gone on 6 to 8 century length rides on it. I changed the saddle and put clipless peddles on it.

Favorite Ride:   TOMRV