Giant 1999 Option Older Hybrid Bike

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

1999 Giant Option, hybrid, Hybrid Mix components

Submitted by Don Winkle a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2010

Strengths:    Everything about this bike is it's Strengths

Weaknesses:    None found yet.

Bottom Line:
I was riding my Old Huffy timberline around town & came uppon a yard sale, There were 3 bikes all with flat tires & chain not all the way on. I ask how much for the Giant she said oh the big one I don't know I just have to get rid of all this stuff. I said I have a $10.00 bill with your name on it & OMG she went for it. I only bought the bike for it's gell seat & handle bars but my wife Loved everything about it. I had to put the chain back on & get an inner tube that's it.

Favorite Ride:   Option Giant

Purchased At:   Yard sale

Similar Products Used:   GM Denali

Bike Setup:   As is.

Submitted by scayf a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2002

Strengths:    Steel is real. For being an "ATB", the geometry is more of a road frame. 17 1/2" chainstays for pannier clearance. Smooth, comfy ride, agile, flawless operation, and fast (even with "fat" 27" x 1 1/4" tires).

Weaknesses:    Tips the scales at 28 pounds (heavy? Only if you're a weight-weenie).

Bottom Line:
I rescued this thang from a pawn shop over two years ago, and it was damn near trash. But the frame was straight and solid. It's older than a '99, but screw it. I stole the BB spindle and bearings, headset, double crankset, drop bars, seat post, and 27" wheelset from my wife's old Raliegh Record roadie, scarfed up some Schwinn brake and shifter levers, Shimano 535s, Tioga BB cups, second-hand Alivio cantilever brakes, new cables and housings, and the seat off my GT Aggressor (a new Brooks B66 Champion is sitting in the closet, waiting for my b-day next week), totally stripped it down and re-built it into a touring bike. I'd ride this baby to Mars and back.

Favorite Ride:   everywhere

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Bike Setup:   New Shimano Tourney derailers, Alivio cantilever brakes, 535 clipless pedals, rear cargo rack, Catey

Submitted by scout a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2002

Strengths:    Steel is real, very strong and absorbs road vib great. Comfortable and smooth. Shifts far better than I ever expected from such a low end bike.

Weaknesses:    Weight. But the flip side of that is when I get on my Road racer I can zoom after cranking a heavy bike.

Bottom Line:
This bike has held up to some harsh trails. I'm amazed the rims are still very true. Stock tires ride well on road but sink in sand. Very comfortable on long rides. I've gone on 6 to 8 century length rides on it. I changed the saddle and put clipless peddles on it.

Favorite Ride:   TOMRV

Similar Products Used:   GT Outback Trail, Trek Multi-track

Bike Setup:   Stock + clipless pedals and a Surfas saddle

Submitted by George Marland a Recreational Rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2000

Strengths:    Very good build quality, strong and rigid frame. Smooth and comfortable ride gives a great luxury feel.

Weaknesses:    This bike is heavy, feels bulky and large when riding. My other bike is an alloy frame racer so I notice the weight difference alot.

Bottom Line:
It's great, feels good and looks good. I use it for excercise so the weight thing is ok. If you want quality this bike has it.
I would recommend Option as a commuter bike or recreation only. While hybrid bikes offer the best of both worlds they are not a substitute for a road bike or a mountain bike it is certainly more than just a mountain bike with smooth tires. A better description than "hybrid" would be "luxury" or "comfort" bike.
I love mine.

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Stock bike except Oasis saddle, Cateye mity3 computer, Carbon Pump, drink bottle

Submitted by JasonN a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario

Date Reviewed: October 11, 1999

Strengths:
Very comfortable ride

Weaknesses:
Fairly heavy

Bottom Line:
It's my wifes bike, she raves about it. I took it for a quick ride around the neighborhood, and it is very smooth and pleasant ride, if that's what you want. I still like my off road bike though. But I was impressed with the comfort.

Favorite Ride: