Trek 1999 720 Older Hybrid Bike

4.31/5 (13 Reviews)

1999 Trek 720, hybrid, Hybrid Mix components, Trek fork

Submitted by Linda DuBois

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2013

Strengths:    Great looking fun to ride and can go any where

Weaknesses:    I think oldest son took it jumping on trails years ago when he borrowed it, There seems to be a wobble in the steering.

Bottom Line:
I just rode the bike today and it is as fun as ever. I am currently looking for a new Trek probably getting the FX 7.4. I am going to let my youngest son have (now I say use) this one. It still looks great and i love the green color. Todays bikes are sadly lacking in that area. I have ridden roads along railroad tracks and dirt trails. This bike has held up wonderfully. I still love it.

Submitted by Chris a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2012

Strengths:    Nice rigid frame, twist shift still works fine after 18 years. No problem with gear jumping or shifting. Great value for the money.

Weaknesses:    Rather basic, no suspension, but suspensions weren't as common in 94 as they are today.

Bottom Line:
I have had the bicycle since 1998 and it is a joy to ride. I am 6'3, so it's hard to find a bike that "fits" for lack of a better term. The way the bike is built allows me to nearly sit up which avoids back pain while riding. My trips generally average 10-20 miles.

Favorite Ride:   1994 Trek 720

Similar Products Used:   Dept store bicycles. Failure of dept store bicycles have caused me 2 injuries. The bottom bracket catastrophically failed while pedaling up a hill which caused my knee to slam into the handlebars which caused the bike to go over. and me to land on my arm and had to roll 6 miles home. Stay away from dept store bikes.

Bike Setup:   Completely stock.

Submitted by Selaretus a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2011

Strengths:    Strong. Absolutely dependable. Great lines; pretty to look at. Fun to ride! MADE IN USA!

Weaknesses:    Compared to what?

Bottom Line:
After usng a Raleigh hybrid during bike tour in the west of Ireland, I bought this bike new in the fall of 99 for $375 as soon as I got back. Thought that was an insane amount to spend on a bicycle! 12 years later wouldn't trade it for any other. Love my Trekkie!. Just spent $160 for an overhaul from the same place I bought it 12 years ago and it's like new again. Perfect bike for me and everyone who rides it, loves it. Nuff said.

Favorite Ride:   Trek

Purchased At:   Bike Works Corning N

Similar Products Used:   Cheap clunks from department stores

Bike Setup:   Low rise drag handlebars.
gel seat
cut down fenders
mountain rack and avenir bag

Submitted by pyrrhus429 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2005

Strengths:    Sturdy, parts lasted for many years.

Weaknesses:    Good for what it is a hybrid. Shifting on the front dereullirs (spelling) was problematic.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I took it as a touring bike when I rode down from San Francisco and Los Angeles. Took it on dirt trails. Despit all that, it still works well despite my lack of care for it. However, despite never professionally tuned it lasted me well for 4 years before sorta coming to it's end these past few years. Frames still holding up after a few crashes and the wear and tell of a road trip.

Submitted by jeff barsoian a Recreational Rider from lexington,ma

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Strengths:    well built and durable,but light weight for travel.

Weaknesses:    a bit stiff, need to install front suspension

Bottom Line:
I purchased an older Trek 720 but the bike just keeps going!
I ride mostly street with the occasional off road (light).

Favorite Ride:   Minuteman bike path

Purchased At:   private sale

Bike Setup:   Stock (8 years ago)