Trek 2001 750 Older Hybrid Bike

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by Steven So

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2013

Strengths:    Durability, relatively light for the price, comfortable riding position, ability to withstand city potholes.

Weaknesses:    Not suitable for pot holes at high speed.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 750 in 1993 in Queens, NY. I relocated to Princeton area in 1995. The bike has served me well for over 20 years. Aside from a few scratches on the seat and handle bar from a spill early in my riding days, the bike still looks great. I cleaned it over last weekend with cloth and water, whiped the gears with a little solvent, soaked the chain in turpentine and lubed it. The bike performed and looked like new. Not a rust spot anywhere. I went through a few sets of tires and tubes. Tires from normal wear. The tubes were due to the intake valve falling apart from everyday use. Aside from Being expensive, it was annoying to replace. This is the only fault I can find about the 750.
My son is three inches taller than I. He can ride the 750 comfortably by adjusting the seat height. I think the 750 will serve many generations of my family to come unless some super advances in technology renders bicycle obsolete, then it will serve as a museum specimen for the future generations to admire.
The Trek 750 is one of the best purchase I ever made. It was useful as well as a beautiful piece of machine to behold.

Submitted by mfaison a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2004

Strengths:    • light
• comfortable
• reliable
• handles bumpy city streets, dirt, gravel

Weaknesses:    none, but replace the saddle and add fenders and a rack for commuting.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike for my 3-mile commute to keep my recumbent out of the rain and me out of the car. It's definitely the best hybrid I've ever owned (compared to various lower quality Giant and Rayleigh bikes I've ridden). It's reasonably light and comfortable, and it has a decent gear range.

Although it's best for riding around the city (I take it all over Portland), I added barends and took it on a loaded tour from Seattle to Portland, and it was perfectly fine (I did suffer a broken spoke, no big deal) and comfortable even for all those miles. (The bike has both rear and front braze-ons for racks.)

In general, I would say that the Trek hybrids are a tremendous value for commuting bikes (esp. the older used models which can be found for <$200).

Favorite Ride:   Arboretum Trail, Madison, WI