Cannondale 2001 R2000Si Older Racing Bike

Submitted by clydegoode@yahoo.com a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight. Fast and responsive at high end speeds at 35-40 plus mph.
It's stiff and worth dollar I paid for it. Cannondale did a awesome with major components.

Weaknesses:    Seatpost, seat and bars.
I also have to be careful when shifting from into big and small rings at high speeds.

Bottom Line:
John at Dothan Cycle & Fitness actually fitted my riding style and body structure for the C'dale r2000si 54 frame with first generation bomb proof Mavic Kysirium wheels set. I haven't changed any components on this bike since I bought except for the seatpost, seat and bars which are all carbon now. This bike is still in great condition after 3 minor crashes. I love it and still kick those high bikes to sleep on a regular bases. It climbs like mountain goat and accelerates like a sports car. I love the R2000si. Riders always ask about the bike at least once a week.

Favorite Ride:   albany, ga worlds! back in 2001-03

Purchased At:   Dothan Cycle and Fit

Similar Products Used:   I just bought a Branch San Lorenzo stadium frame duraAce setup. However I still ride the my Cannondale R2000si Caad5 on 75% of my rides bc it fits like a glove.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale R2000si caad5 54 frame. Strictly factory stock besides the seat, seatpost, bars and tape which were switched to carbon.

Submitted by Dean Alexander Danville Ca a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2004

Strengths:    The stiff frame has great power transfer, and the geometry is super-responsive, almost to the point of being squirrelly at low speeds (if you're not paying attention). At high speeds, 35-45mph, the bike is very stable and an exciting ride.
The bikes cornering is exceptional, and frankly I'm afraid to find the bikes limits. I know it has more to give.

Weaknesses:    The occasional rough road can be quite jarring, but I have read that the difference between carbon and aluminum in terms of shock absorbtion is alot less than advertised, and that the body cannot feel the difference in the range of vibration transfered though the materials at those levels. Certainly, tire pressure is a huge issue here... a tire above 130 psi transfers alot more shock than one pressured to 100 psi.

Bottom Line:
This is certainly a sweet ride, stiff, very fast, very responsive, and it's preformance exceeds my own. I've put 1400 miles on it over the past 7 months, and everytime I've retuned from my ride, I'm thrilled with the bike. On some roads however, I wish I had bought carbon, but those roads always end, and I can thoroghly reccomend
the bike. I got an incredible deal because the bike was two seasons past. I always wonder how the new cad 7 with optimo tubing would behave. They are supposed to be lighter and more shock absorbing.
I have improved the set up over the past couple of months, the first been a carbon seat post, which has slightly improve the "shock" value of the frames stiffness. I'll try carbon bars before long.
I've also started down that never-satisfied road of what if I took a couple of pounds off the bike?
I put a pair of American Classics CR 420's in place of the Mavic elites which were stock. These are really impressive wheels, a pound lighter and much more aero. At least I feel faster. I like these quite a bit better than the Mavics.

Favorite Ride:   Mt Diablo

Purchased At:   The Peddler

Similar Products Used:   early-eighties Mercian frame with Shimano sis (first generation) campy and modolo.

Bike Setup:   Cad 5 frame, carbon seatpost, Ultegra Tripple, American Classic wheels.

Submitted by JJ a Road Racer from Culver, IN

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent performance! This is a sprinter's bike due to its stiffness and and optimal power transfer. Power pyramid is often imitated, but never duplicated. SAFE! Aluminum frames are being made WAY to light. Be careful with those rider weight limit frames. This is a relatively light frame. Price is perfect; it is like a two for one sale!

Weaknesses:    Retarded bottom bracket cable guide!! It is connected with a plastic push pin.

Bottom Line:
First of all, I am a bike junkie. I love bikes that are true performers. I Have ridden EVERYTHING there is to ride and I found this bike to be an exceptional purchase. I have always loved the Italian framemakers and their craftsmanship (and still do), but I think that this American frame stacks up to anything out there. Before I bought this frame, I was looking to spend up to $2500 for a frame and switch my Record kit over, but I could not find a frame that would give me $1000-1500 more performance. I was pleasantly surprised by the CAAD 5's ride quality. I had always heard that Cannondales were unreasonably harsh, but the hourglass stays absorb a lot of the road vibration. However, this frame is not the most comfortable that I have ridden and it is clearly not a century bike. This is a "stripped to the bone" racing tool, not a touring bike. The frame has a great, true racing geometry with a long top tube (unlike Trek's weak geometry for the 5900 and Colnago's ridiculous "all day" racing geometry that asks the rider to use layback posts and gigantic stems). The power pyramid down tube creates an incredible power transfer where you get the most out of each pedal stroke. I decided to go with an aluminum steering column this time. I have a LOOK HSC 3 on my Pinarello and it is just not stiff enough. This bike suits my body type (6'0" 165)and my pedal mashing style. My best advice is: Find a bike that suits your riding style not your eyes. I looked at frames (deRosa Planet, Ciocc Challenger etc...) that I would crush like aluminum cans, before I got some good advice from a former pro. Find YOUR bike.

Favorite Ride:   Murrysville Classic

Purchased At:   Elkhart Bicycle and

Similar Products Used:   Everything and I mean everything. My next bike is the GIOS Carbon!

Bike Setup:   Record 10 kit, Thompson post, SLR saddle ( I like to feel the road), Kestral carbon bar, ZIPP 303 ra

Submitted by Marc Boucher a Road Racer from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2002

Strengths:    Perfect combination of strength and flexibility to make a fast and robust ride.

Weaknesses:    None which I hhave found yet.

Bottom Line:
After 4 mountain bikes, this is my first road bike. I was insecure at first, but this is a great machine to help make the transition. The ride is smooth, very comfortableand fast. The bike is very responsive, but does not overreact.

Favorite Ride:   country roads

Purchased At:   Helen's Cycles

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Ultegra components with Mavic Ksyrium wheels.

Submitted by jagiger a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2001

Strengths:    Fast, light, stiff yet smooth riding.

Bottom Line:
Really nice ride, very quick & handles great. A big jump from my '75 Peugot & I'm still beaming... the new technology is awesome from the shifters down to the wheel. This bike is also incredibly light. Get on if you can.

Favorite Ride:   Country roads