Giant 2001 Cadex CFR-2 Older Racing Bike

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by Jorrit a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff enough but not too rigid. Has classic geometry with a relatively short top tube, so steers very direct.

Weaknesses:    A tad heavy - 51 frame cm with shimao 600 group comes down to about 8,5 kgs, i think.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike 2nd hand but in mint condition, off an amateur racer aspiring to become pro. She had sporadically used it as a training bike. I probably couldn't have made a better choice as an upgrade for the steel racer i had then, even if i had spend way more $. It's simply a great bike. It's got Shimano 600 breaks/shifters, the 1st ever handlebar shifters on the market. It's got a timeless metallic blue paint job. And it's a piece of carbon bicycle history, because the Cadex was pretty much the 1st affordable carbon bike on the market. It feels very light, easy to manouvre, and has a nice short top tube. It steers very direct and climbs great.

Favorite Ride:   Giant Cadex CFM 4

Purchased At:   2nd hand

Similar Products Used:   Gazelle (Dutch company) 'Champion Mondial' steel roadbike. (great ride too). Alan aluminum roadbike.

Bike Setup:   Shimano 600 drivetrain. Ritchey comp stem, seatpost and handlebars. Mavic Aksium wheels with Schwalbe Durano tires.

Submitted by Chris Brown a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2011

Strengths:    Lightness and quick to shift gear.

Weaknesses:    Nothing that comes to mind.

Bottom Line:
I went with my daughter to look for a road bike for her as she wanted to get into triathalons.We looked at the Cadex but it was too big for her and she eventually bought another bike(Giant ocr3) She looked like she was having so much fun, I went back and bought the Cadex CFR2.I used to ride an old Indi 500 and that was fairly fast but this bike is seriously quick!It is light about 9kg and is an absolute dream to ride.If anyone has a chance to try one I'm sure you will be very impressed.

Purchased At:   private

Similar Products Used:   Indi 500

Submitted by Whit a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth ride and fast. The 105 shifts quick and easy. Went to 20 tyres at 150psig. I was a TNT rider.

Weaknesses:    Takes a little getting use to the top tube twist and the bottom braket swing when hill climbing yet I got over it.

Bottom Line:
I've owned my CFR-2 for 14 years, I/m 57 years old, an old fart. I love this "old" bike and have done many centuries with her. With the 6 bend bars it gives lots of position changes. Would like to change the forks to CF but there are many projects on my plate. I also have a GT tackyon and a softride wing.

Favorite Ride:   PCH CA

Purchased At:   Bike store

Bike Setup:   Stock save for 1 more first gear tooth for Southern CA hills and my ability, spin first and stand 3rd for the killer hills.

Submitted by Chuck Dixon a Recreational Rider from Oceanside

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff, lite, shifting,

Weaknesses:    Fork, scratches easy

Bottom Line:
I bought this from a friend who didn’t want it anymore. Being that is was carbon fiber I was hesitant to buy it because I was told by bike dealers that I was too big for that kind of bike (I weigh 230lb) So I bought it to sell it, I had to put new tires, bar tape and tuned it up. I rode it to test out the tune up I performed and, and, WHAT A BIKE! This bike out shifts, is stiffer and is almost as nice to ride as my Litespeed, and better than my Gios and Lemond. I have put over 100 miles on it and it is my “Ride to work bike” The fork is little rough, but that can be changed with a carbon fork. It’s a keeper

Favorite Ride:   Coast Hwy.

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   I have: Litespeed classic, Gios super record, Lemond Reno, Cannondale R300.

Bike Setup:   Stock set up