Schwinn 2001 Fastback Limited Older Racing Bike

Submitted by bianchibuddy a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2007

Strengths:    super light, comfortable, full dura ace, velomax wheels, compact frame

Weaknesses:    Schwinn went bankrupt and I got laid off......oh an no warranty from Pacific Cycles. I don't know that I will ever need a warranty, but I did buy the bike brand new

Bottom Line:
I have riden my Fastback Limited for 4 years and over 5k miles. It has been a tried and true friend that has been a pure joy to spend time with. I generally ride 20-30 miles in a ride, but have done a number of 50-70 milers and spent 3+ hours in one sitting and the Fastback has been more then comfortable! I highly suggest one!

Favorite Ride:   Lyons to Riverside

Purchased At:   EP from Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   GT ZR3000, Cannondale R700, Litespeed Capella, Serotta Colorado

Bike Setup:   Fastback Limited, Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork, full Dura Ace, Velomax Tempest II, Michelin Pro Race 2, Deda Newton bar & stem, Flight Deck computer, Avocet Air 2 saddle

Submitted by Sablotny a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2004

Strengths:    The Schwinn name gets no respect in the paceline, but I love my bike. It was hand made in Boulder CO, rumor has it its a Yeti in disguise. Lighter than my friends' $$$$ Kestrels for 1/5 the price. Climbs like a billy goat, has held up to my 177-200 pound weight with ease for 5,000 miles. Stiff to hammer, not bad on the body (like a previous Klein than punished me). $350 price tag, equivalent to a $900 flyweight aluminum frame from Titus or elsewhere.

Weaknesses:    Not much panache from the Schwinn name. Decals don't hold up, but the powdercoat finish has.

Bottom Line:
I'm a mountain biker who grudgingly got into road biking 3 years ago. Bought the Fastback frame because it was dirt cheap (Schwinn was going thru one of its "transitions" at the time), 2.9 pounds light, and had a sloping top tube like my MTB's. Butted, RAD-shaped, intelligent frame design reminded me more of the latest MTB tech instead of tradition-oriented roadie stuff.

Favorite Ride:   Sonoma Coast

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Klein Stage- only other road bike since the Varsities and Continentals of high school. Brutally stiff. THAT was the aluminum that deserves the bad rap.

Bike Setup:   "L" (56.5 TT) w/Dura Ace, Mavic Cosmos, Easton carbon bits. Good for 17.4 pounds with a tough / moderate weight wheelset.

Submitted by lhadnus a Recreational Rider from Belmont, Massachusetts, USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight; great wheels; sweet ride.

Weaknesses:    The only weaknesses are things I don't really care about.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike because I need a bike for when I'm on a long-term project away from home--hate those travel bikes and don't want to keep lugging my other bike to and fro. All I can say is that I absolutely love it. This is my first aluminum bike and the ride is phenomenal. I really don’t need this light or fancy of a bike, but I couldn’t pass it up. The best thing about it is that it doesn’t look as cool as my Lemond, so my wife doesn’t know that I spent too much on my travel bike!

Favorite Ride:   Concord Loop

Purchased At:   RoadBikeReview.com C

Similar Products Used:   Lemond Zurich

Submitted by eichholzer a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, great ride, component group, price.

Weaknesses:    Decals.

Bottom Line:
This bike replaced my Trek. When I came across it online and read the specs and the blowout price (Schwinn bankruptcy sale) I couldn't match it. Turned out to be the best and fastest bike I've owned. We have lots of major hills here, and it is a solid climber -- I am much faster on it than a year ago on my old bike.

Favorite Ride:   Cooperstown Loop

Purchased At:   Supergo Bike Shops o

Similar Products Used:   Trek & Fuji.

Bike Setup:   Standard. Added aero bars and shimano pedals.

Submitted by PaulCsportsman a Road Racer from Lakeville,MA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2002

Strengths:    Acceleration,handling,ride,value,coolness.
More proof that Mt.Bike technology has helped Road bikes!

Weaknesses:    Seat post clamp that came with the frame is inadequate, aluminum frame life expectancy.

Bottom Line:
I was attracted to the compact geometry and lightness, as well as the affordable price. The fit and performance of this bike is surprising. Mine is a large(56.5 virtual top tube) and it fits me perfectly. I'm 5'10, with a 30" inseam. The ride is stiff and resposive without being harsh. Something that I found surprising was the excellent "Italian" type handling. The sloping top tube is a real plus, it gives a lot of clearance and the smaller main triangle keeps the bike light and stiff. It would be hard to imagine anyone who is truely looking for performance, not liking this bike.

Favorite Ride:   Round the Quabbin

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Lemond Zurich,Masi Team3V,Trek 2300,Bianchi Virata,Cannondale R600,Celo

Bike Setup:   Built up with Dura-Ace STI flight deck, Weyless carbon fork (for integrated), Cane Creek integrated