Schwinn 2001 Super Sport SL Older Racing Bike

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)
MSRP : $1959.95

Submitted by gspent a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent value for price, light and fast, very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Shimano triple very touchy, have to get used to. Double would be better and alot less hassle. Wheels go out of round on rough roads but easily fixed..

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike, light, fast, comfortable on long rides, handles well, Bike would be perfect with better shifting.

Purchased At:   Back Door Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek 2200, 5200

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Ed a Recreational Rider from Keene, NH

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2002

Strengths:    Comfortable,light and fast. Climbs pretty well. This is my first bike with clipless pedals and the double-sided Time Alium pedals have been easy to get used to. The Schwinn Hollowpoint seat has been pretty comfortable.

Weaknesses:    The compact-style frame looks a little funky, especially for a tall rider who has to show a lot of seatpost even on the XL sized bike. I rated the bike a 4 on value only because I bought it early in the year and found I could have saved some money if I waited until late summer.

Bottom Line:
This bike is mis-classified as a racing bike. I chose it because I was looking for a fast, light road bike with higher end components that was set-up for comfort and the Super Sport SL filled that requirement. The compact frame provides a riding position that is fairly upright, and the frame and carbon fiber fork delivers a much smoother ride than other aluminum bikes I've tried. I'm a large rider (6'5", 200 lbs.) and had been prone to breaking spokes and knocking wheels out of true. The Velomax Circuit Comp wheels have held up well for me after almost 2000 miles. I am extremely happy with my selection of this bike.

Similar Products Used:   Previous bike was a Diamondback Expert. Tested a Trek 2200 and Canondale R800. Neither of these were as comfortable and both rode more harshly. Additionally, for about the same cost as the SL, these

Bike Setup:   Ultegra triple. Velomax Circuit Comp wheels and Michelin Axial Pro tires. Time Alium clipless peda

2001 Schwinn super sport sl - which size?

Hi! I am looking to this bike and the guy selling it really seems clueless about the size, even though I suggested that he measures it (it's not a stolen bike, it's the bike from someone who died in his family). Is there anyone good at guessing sizes? The guy tells me it's a small size (which is ... Read More »