Trek 2001 5200 Older Racing Bike

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)
MSRP : $1999.00

Submitted by steve a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff great climber fast on the flatts still the best bike ever built I've riden cervello giant bianci specilized kline cannndale none ride as nice or feel as nice as the 2001 5200 not even the madone

Bottom Line:
My firiend and I changed it to 10 speed compact crank new ultegra shifters and deralluers and it works beautifully the mechanic @ trek said it coudnt be done justbhave to find areal mechanic and anythings possable.what a great bike still solid after all those miles and still going!!!!!!!!

Price Paid:    $2099.00

Purchased At:   usa bike in 2002

Submitted by Attila a Road Racer from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2003

Strengths:    Handling. Came with 12-25 rear cassette; I had thought the 25 was too low, but I found that spinning on long climbs (Lance method) actually improves my climbing times significantly (time on an 11-km climb to a local ski hill went from over 50' to around 40'!). Or maybe this is just a really good climbing bike?
I also like the San Marco ERA saddle. I've done 5-hour rides on it, no problem.

Weaknesses:    Shimano Ultegra left shifter is a piece of crap.
Bike makes funny clicking noises at certain temperatures (usually when warmer). Cane Creek headset is not very durable, I need to replace the lower set of balls.

Bottom Line:
This was purchased in fall, 2000, at special team price. I normally ignore or laugh at bicycle road tests because my experience had been that you can create a greater difference in how a bike handles just by moving the brake levers 2 centimeters than there is between two different bikes with positions the same. The Trek 5200/5500 has been the first bike I've ridden (and I've been riding/racing for 30 years) where I've actually felt a difference in handling. Unlike any Italian or custom-made bikes I've ever owned, it is not skittish in turns. It corners like it's on rails. I have never ridden a bike where I've felt so much in control.
The left Ultegra STI lever got very sticky unless the front derailleur was kept very well lubed. I replaced this with Campag Daytona left lever, now it shifts flawlessly, plus I can trim the derailleur. I like the right Ultegra shifter because it shifts very smoothly and I use the Dura Ace "bubble" gear indicator with it. Yes, gearshifting with mixed levers does scramble your brain for a couple of weeks, but now I'm used to it. I may yet change this to Campag as well if I can figure out how to mount the bubble, since on the upshifts, the Shimano system does the shifting on the release of the lever. I prefer the shift to happen at the activation part of the cycle.
Color is "carbon smoke," very nice. I don't mind having all the graphics.

Favorite Ride:   Fraser Valley, BC

Purchased At:   Gregg's Cycles, Seat

Similar Products Used:   Older Trek 5500 with 150gm/m carbon. Unfortunately, this was stolen when I was in Prague; the 5200 (120gm/m carbon) was the replacement.

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock, but replaced left Ultegra STI lever with Campag Daytona lever. 175mm cranks, 58 cm frame, 120mm ITM Millenium stem, Easton AL seatpost, Shimano Ultegra SPD pedals (the discontinued ones). I use the original Rolf Vector wheels for training, as well as Campag Shamal/Vento (9-speed). I use Ultegra wheels for racing.

Submitted by wielerpret a Road Racer from Amsterdam, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Strengths:    Low weight etc. etc. See all the above.

Weaknesses:    A bit loud on the Trek logos: two on every single tube; Volkswagen(!) and Shimano are just too much.
Too expensive for me at full price, but now that I ve ridden it for some time (and approx. 9200 km)maybe I would have payed that massive sum after all. Its a once in a lifetime purchase to me (I reckon). With last years' color and a few minor logo imperfections I got a pretty hefty discount on the frameset.
The combination with Ultegra Triple didn't work for me because of endless rattling and inability to shift to the 52 blade. I think this might be due to flex in the carbon under stress because on the stand it all worked perfecly well. When on a ride it invariably screwed up after two hundred kilometres or so. The mechanics started to frown a bit, baffled when I started calling in with my complaints every week, and I decided to take a deep breath and go for the full Campagnolo Record gruppo with 2 front blades and Campy wheels, after which I never looked back.
I worry a bit about the sensitivity of carbon to sharp hits of e.g. small rocks on stony roads and the longer term warranty regarding my initial discount purchasing price of approx. Eur. 2000, with the Ultegra and Rolf

Bottom Line:
My absolute dream bike; best I've ever owned and I will probably ever ride. Agile and comfortable. Climbs like a squirrel, even with the 39 x 26 in the Appenines, and seems to want to go by itself. Shock absorbtion to me is unequalled in combination with Campy Nucleon wheels, Fi:zi:k Pave saddle, Easton carbon handlebars and Record seatpost. A little less perfect with Rolf Vector Comp wheels. Lovely lines. This bike should well last me until retirement 25 years from now, and beyond.

Favorite Ride:   along blooming Dutch dykes; Tuscany, Umbria

Purchased At:   Trom/Kaptein, Amster

Similar Products Used:   Nothing quite similar really.
Huissoon steel (Columbus tubes)with Mavic crankset, OFMega rear derailleur, Shimano 105 brakes and FIR wheels;
Kinesis Superlight Alu frame (cheap and nasty)and Faggi

Bike Setup:   Trek OCLV 5200; 58cm. Campagnolo Record gruppo with 39-52 front blades, 175mm cranks, Chorus gruppo

Submitted by wielerpret a Recreational Rider from Amsterdam, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2002

Strengths:    Low weight etc. etc. See all the above.

The combination with Ultegra Triple didn't work for me because of endless rattling and inability to shift to the 52 blade. I think this might be due to flex in the carbon under stress because on the stand it all worked perfecly well. When on a ride it invariably screwed up after two hundred kilometres or so. The mechanics started to frown a bit, baffled when I started calling in with my complaints every week, and I decided to take a deep breath and go for the full Campagnolo Record gruppo with 2 front blades and Campy wheels, after which I've never looked back.
I worry a bit about the sensitivity of carbon to sharp hits of e.g. small rocks on stony roads and the longer term warranty regarding my initial discount purchasing price with the Ultegra and Rolf setup. (The abovementi

Bottom Line:
My absolute dream bike; best I've ever owned and I will probably ever ride. Agile and comfortable. Climbs like a squirrel, even with the 39 x 26 in the Appenines, and seems to want to go on its own. Shock absorbtion to me is unequalled in combination with Campy Nucleon wheels, Fi:zi:k Pave saddle, Easton carbon handlebars and Record seatpost. A little less perfect with Rolf Vector Comp wheels. Lovely lines. This bike should well last me until retirement 25 years from now, and beyond.

Favorite Ride:   along blooming Dutch dykes; Tuscany, Umbria

Purchased At:   Trom/Kaptein, Amster

Similar Products Used:   Nothing quite similar really.
Kinesis Superlight Alu frame (cheap and nasty)and Faggin

Submitted by Uncle Tim a Recreational Rider from Anywhere, USA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Strengths:    Light. Stiff. Shock absorbing. Superior climbing characteristics. Geometry that stretches you out (especially good for those with relatively long torsos)

Weaknesses:    Could come with Dura Ace components! Too many ugly decals (I have the white race version with decals everywhere). They could have maybe added a better set of wheels than the Rolf Vector Comps. But no real problems. Oh, the stock saddle was unbearable.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new in early April of 2001. Since then, I've logged about 6300 miles. I have been very pleased with my purchase since this bike does so many things well. It has to be one of the best values in the market.

The bike is very light, weighing somewhere around 17.5 lbs. Though I consider myself to be a "recreational rider", I ride a lot of group rides that end up being impromptu races. The Trek 5200 is a great climbing bike; I've dropped many a strong rider while on this thing. This bike maximizes my performance, whether it's a short group ride or a century.

The real strength of the Trek 5200 is that it is very comfortable for long rides and, since I ride a lot of centuries each year, this is critical. The carbon frame really does eat up a lot of the road vibration, but it never compromises performance. When I stretch out and apply that little something extraon the pedals, the bike responds by going fast. If I am on your wheel, you are going to have to work hard to drop me.

My bike came with a full Ultegra group at purchase. I've had two failures since: 1) the bottom bracket was shot at 3700 miles and 2)the right shifter failed at 6200 miles. I added Campy Daytona pedals which served me well for about 5200 miles. I have replaced them with a new pair of Campy Centaur pedals.

Also, I had the infamous Rolf Vector Comp creaking in the front fork. A touch off grease on the inside of the dropouts and it vanished. I am still riding those wheels.

If I had money to burn, I would upgrade to Dura Ace, especially the shifters. Too many ppl are having trouble with Ultegra shifters. I am also going to retire the Rolf Vector Comp wheelset after this season. Thinking about the new Mavic Ksyriums.

Similar Products Used:   Aluminum Treks (2200 and 2000)and Cannondales (CAAD2 and CAAD3); old Nishiki racing bike.

Bike Setup:   Almost all stock. Full Ultegra. Campy Centaur pedals. Specialized Geometry Comp saddle. Stock Rolf V

2001 Trek 5200 Cane Creek S6 Headset

My wife has a Trek 5500 2001 or 2002 with a Cane Creek S6 headset. During a ride she was saying the steering was tight. After the standard headset test (front brake, move fore and aft) it was wobblin. I could not get it tight enough to stop that rocking and lose enough to steer easily. Get home and ... Read More »

What's a fair price to ask on Craigslist for a 2001 Trek 5200?

Hi. I have a beautiful, black 2001 Trek 5200 with Shimano Ultegra triple components. It is immaculate, and all parts work perfectly. What's a fair price to ask for this? I also have a 1999 Merlin titanium "Road" bike with Shimano Ultegra triple , and Mavic open pro wheels. I put "Road" in quote ... Read More »

2001 5200 Trek

How much would one expect to pay for a 2001 5200 TREK (FRAME AND FORK only)? Paint in fair condition - no cracks.Read More »

Seat post size on 2001 Trek 5200

Howdy, I'm trying to measure the size of the seat post on my 2001 Trek 5200. I used a ruler but the calculation landed right between the two common sizes 26.8 and 27.2. So, does anybody have the number? BTW - ya, I know I can take to lbs but I'm not sure he could do a better job. :mad2:Read More »