BikeE 2001 CT 2.0 Older Recumbent Bike

3.25/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by Turtleman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2003

Strengths:    Low cost, easy to ride for new 'bent users. Easy to outfit for commuting. Fits on a standard truck rack. Gets lots of attention. Of course, since it's a 'bent, you don't have any neck, back or hand soreness, and you can enjoy the scenery. Gets lots of attention.

Weaknesses:    Weight distribution is terrible. Lots of problems with sore rump and numb toes. Internal 3-speed hub is tricky to adjust and often shifts of its own accord. Bike is slow and heavy and performs poorly on long rides.

Bottom Line:
This is my first recumbent, and it has allowed me to continue bicycling after my urologist told me never to ride a wedgie again. I bought the BikeE because it was the easiest bike in the lineup for a first-time 'bent rider to handle and it was (comparatively) cheap. It is fun on short rides and a good commuter bike. I've had lots of problems with foot numbness and my rump gets very uncomfortable. It does not climb well but does handle well at high speeds (35+). My weight is almost 100% over the back wheel (and I'm only 5'7"), causing the front wheel to LIFT OFF THE GROUND on hard uphill accelerations! (I also burned through the stock Primo V-Monster rear tire in 4,000 miles). Long rides are a chore on this bike, with rides of more than 35 miles requiring a lot of training, patience and off-the-saddle breaks.

Favorite Ride:   Silver Comet Trail

Purchased At:   Road & Trail Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Test rode Lightning Thunderbolt & a few others I no longer remember

Bike Setup:   Stock components, with rear rack and Schwinn rack bag. BikeE cyclecomputer (sensor housing split almost immediately). Clipless pedals (a huge improvement!)

Submitted by emptysea a Recreational Rider from south central Iowa

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2002

Strengths:    Quality - versatile

Weaknesses:    Not a race bike - Want to race? go spend $2000 on up for a low racer that is very impracticle and fairly unsafe on public roads.

Bottom Line:
A very good bike for about everything other than racing. Has a very high quality look. Some people say that the Bikee seat isn't to comfortable but its not far behind the Rans seat (and I'm a big guy). Its a comfortable bike and is great for going to parades, little-league games, etc.(the high seat lets you look over the heads of the people in lawn chairs).

Favorite Ride:   Neal Smith bike trail DesMoines

Purchased At:   Irwinns Bike and Spo

Similar Products Used:   Rans Wave, Turner LBE, and Lightning Stealth (still have)

Bike Setup:   Bikee bag

Submitted by mtbnaz a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2001

Strengths:    Gets attention on the road.

Weaknesses:    The seat!!! Even the guy at the dealer said the seat was crap when I took it in to see how to adjust it. He said he would never buy a recumbent without an adjustable seat.

Bottom Line:
This bike is junk. This bike should have never been manufactured. Recumbents are suppose to be comfortable and that is there selling point. This bike is far from comfortable. I have been riding "wedgies" for over ten years and have never had even close to this much trouble. The first problem is that my feet kept going to sleep. I received several suggestions from the maker, the dealer and other "bent" riders. How fortunate was I, I was able to ride a whole 4 miles before having to stop. The next and worst problem was that I had pain in my gluteal muscles. Every one I talked to said that you had to adjust the seat. I looked in the manual then called the dealer which both told me how to adjust the seat. I went to the bike to make adjustments but wait the seat doesn't adjust. A call to the manufacturer and they tell me they made a switch to what seats they put on the CT model but just never changed the manual. Don't worry though you can buy a new seat for $250. I kept the bike for 3 months then made the smartest decision with the bike and sold it. Do not buy this model if you have to have a Bikee make sure and get a model with adjustable seat.

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Jim Hunt a Recreational Rider from Kempton, Indiana

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2001

Strengths:    Besides the nice price for a recumbent, the bike has other good features too. First, it rides smooth and straight down the road. It has a nice 21 speed Sram shifter set. The seat adjusts easy and unlike may recumbents, you sit at the same basic height at a regular bike. The seat also adjusts very quickly so you can share the bike with other riders without much fuss.

Weaknesses:    Once you get some riding, you might find the top gear a little limiting for speed. No shock make the ride rough on crummy roads.

Bottom Line:
Good choice for getting into recumbent riding. Looks cool and generates a lot of interest from the general public. You may find this to be a one or two season bike before you want a more advanced model. (I plan to upgrade next year.)

Note: It isn't hard to ride and keep a smooth line for a beginner to recumbents.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Garage Indy

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Basic bike with Vetta bike computer and BikeE bag.