BikeE 2001 RX Older Recumbent Bike

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by RATCLIJH a Recreational Rider from Falls Church, VA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2002

Strengths:    I may never know!

Weaknesses:    I purchased a Bike E through a dealer on July 3. Apparently, there was some shortage of XL frames and some difficulty getting a part needed before Bike E could ship to the dealer, which I can understand.

What I don't understand: Bike E told the dealer early in July the bike would be shipped in a couple of days. When it was not, and the dealer called back, Bike E said it had made a mistake and was missing a part required for the shipment. When the dealer said that it had promised me the bike would be in soon, Bike E said I could call back and ask about the order.

I called Bike E, and some guy who sounded like a teenager answered the phone. He said, "Actually, we only, like, give that information to the dealer. You'll have to have the dealer call us."

After spending about $2000 on a Bike E and its accessories and receiving this kind of treatment, I am disinclined either to buy any of your products again or to recommend you to any of my friends. I am the one who bought the bike, not the dealer, so it is stupid of you to withhold information from me! I also resent wasting my money on a long distance call only to speak to an unprofessional adolescent.

Bottom Line:
Don't Buy a Bike E if You Value Customer Service!!

Purchased At:   Big Wheel Bikes--Arl

Submitted by Eric a Commuter from Oxford, OH

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2001

Strengths:    super comfortable to ride, easy on the knees, all around fun.

Weaknesses:    a little more than i wanted to pay for a bike, but then again i'm a penny pincher.

Bottom Line:
WOW! i've ridden a mtn bike all my life. i wanted to get a bike for my wife, she wanted to start exercising more. i figured she could ride it to run errands around town. to make a long story short, i scraped together the money and got my wife an RX and she loves it. the guy at the local bike shop assured me that she would love it and he couldn't have been more correct. after repeatedly being left at home with the kids and the car, i started to wonder what all the excitement was. i decided to ride it to work one day (16 mi round trip) and it was a dream. i completely understand why i never see my wife as much as i used to. now i'm saving my change to get me one too. i'll slap a kiddie trailer on hers until i get my bent legs and can keep up with her.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere w/o steep hills

Purchased At:   Oxford Cycle Center

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   fenders, bike e bag, front and rear LED blinking lights, mirrors, computer, Nightrider head light, f

Submitted by Dave G. a Recreational Rider from Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2001

Strengths:    This is a very solidly built, well constructed and comfortable bike. The components are smooth and execute crisply and the gear range is great. You can make so many adjustments to the seat position, angle and handlebar height that everyone in your family can ride this bike (you'll have to fight them for it, though). The mid-gear setup works well and looks cleaner than the other BikeE setups with the long droopy chain. The rear shock really smooths out those potholes and while I wasn't sure I wanted or needed the shock in the first place, it works so well on my (awful NJ roads) that I'm now wishing I got the front shock too.

I'm a new recumbent rider and had no trouble (neither did the kids) adjusting to the steering/balance of the BikeE. Get on and go. No squirrelly front wheel and the relatively low crank means it's easy to start from a dead stop.

Weaknesses:    These bikes can be hard to accessorize since most after-market components are aimed at the wedgie (road/MTB) market. Also, there is precious little real-estate on the handlebars to mount much of anything. I recommend the Performance Space bar for adding extra space (mounted mine on the stem).
I had trouble finding a water bottle cage that wouldn't trap and crush the cables under it, or be blocked by the cables.

BikeE doesn't make fenders specifically for the RX, but the great folks at Hostel Shoppe fit a pair of CT fenders. The fenders are OK, kinda cheap and prone to getting knocked off-center, but that's all there is.

Bottom Line:
Just a great bike as far as I'm concerned. The bottom line is that this machine makes riding fun again. It's fast and comfortable. I bought mine sight-unseen (or ride-unridden). I thought the rear shock would be a waste, but went with the RX anyway because I liked the gearing and the price was right. If I had a chance to ride a full-shock version, I probably would have gone that route.

Purchased At:   Hostel Shoppe

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Despite having whined about the difficulty accessorizing this BikeE, I've got it fairly well loaded at this point:
Nite Hawk Dual Lights on the Performance Space bar (mounted to stem) with VistaLite Super Nebula 5 Taillight. Topeak Panoram WIRED computer (don't get the wireless version -- it won't work on a recumbent [too much distance to the wheel]}. Garmin GPSIII+ mounted to the handlebars. Rhode Gear bar-end mirror. Elite Ciussi Bottle Cage with Max Chill water bottle. (I did initially try the Performance carbon-fiber cage that actually worked well as far as the cables go because it has a nice sleek design. It couldn't safely hold the SLA battery for the lights though as that beast is basically a car battery in the shape of a water bottle). I also have the BikeE bag on the back and the fenders (as noted before).

Submitted by Jay a Recreational Rider from Pepper Pike, OH

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2001

Strengths:    Solid, bulletproof, overbuilt. It's faster than tandems downhill; about even on the flats

Weaknesses:    Not fast uphill!

Bottom Line:
I've done over 1000 miles since I got this beast. Other than adjusting for stretched cables, there has been zero maintainence. I can cruise for 67 miles on Day 5 of GOBA wthout any pain, strain, or migraine; only fatigue! This is the way to travel. BTW, removing the seat for transport is possible without dremelling off the soldered lug at the rear of the frame but, snap it off carefully to avoid breaking one of the black plastic clamps that hold the seat on the frame. (I now carry a spare clamp because it can stop you if it breaks.) I also carry the device to take the place of a broken Cane Creek shock although my shock seems to hold it's pressure for a long time. My kind of bent: comfortable, solid, low maintainence and just enough of the "weirdness" factor we benters enjoy!

Favorite Ride:   Along the Chagrin River

Purchased At:   Recumbent Bikeriders.com

Similar Products Used:   I owned an early Blackbent swb which scared me sometimes... I test rode many bents at Atlantic in Florida. The Bike E felt right immediately. RANS felt to pliant, Haluzak and Vision felt like the Blackbent.

Bike Setup:   Since I have an x-seam of 44" I went with the xl frame for $25 from RBR. This moves the cog forward. I have the rear suspension version and I don't miss the $300 front suspension with it's increased complexity. I find the Sweet Seat to be very comfortable with the front seat skewer set to tilt the seat back...no recumbutt!

Submitted by Mark a Commuter from Portland, OR, Washington

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2001

Strengths:    Cushy ride; quick, yet stable handling; good gear range and spacing; nice compace length for transport; good looks; good shifting; solid construction; the stem can accept most any handle bars (wish my Bikee CT had this feature)

Weaknesses:    a little expensive (double suspension model is about $1700); difficult to attach front fender due to front suspension.

Bottom Line:
I like this bike a lot. It seems more solidly made than most other recumbents I have ridden and is far easier to adjust for different riders to use. The bike seems to be optimized for commuting, with wide supple tires and a high riding position, with a low bottom bracket. It is a simple matter to start and stop this bike and sitting at lights is easy (unless the rider has very short legs).

Bottom line, I think the Bikee CT at $549 is a better value for recreational riding or commuting, but if price is no object, this bike may be the ultimate commuter.

Favorite Ride:   most any ride is nice :)