Rans Recumbents 2001 V-Rex Older Recumbent Bike

Submitted by teetoncey a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2011

Strengths:    Comfort, reliability (only a single flat tire in 9,000 miles)

Weaknesses:    A bit bulky for car transport

Bottom Line:
I got it used (8yo). After 9,000 miles, I still love it: reliable, comfortable. I'm not interested in speed; it does [barely] fit into my Miata for more variation in trips. It's getting old (it's a 1999, I think), and I'll have to replace it with another, or Bacchetta Giro.

Favorite Ride:   Rans V-Rex

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Prior road bike, mountain bike

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by John Fey a Recreational Rider from Syracuse, NY

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2001

Strengths:    Strength, relative weight, responsiveness, comfort, unlimited gearing, strange looks.

Weaknesses:    Cost, difficult to load on a car rack, Slower ave. speeds than traditional road bike but gradually getting better. A littler twitchy, can't get food out and eat while riding. Strange looks.

Bottom Line:
I am a strictly recreational rider who usually rides alone on long country rides. Speed is seldom an issue for me. I can ride this bike 65 miles, come home and work in the yard; I don't feel beat up like I used to after a 50 mi. ride on my Trek racing bike. I can look around and see the sites since I'm not forced to stare at my front tire. My neck & shoulders don't scream for relief, my carpal tunnel doesn't bother me. (I rode this bike 48 hrs. after having my carpal tunnel operated on!) I still ride a nice racing bike with my friends and when I feel the "need for speed"; but for my cherished long leisurely rides and solitude, this is my favorite mount.

Favorite Ride:   Southern Onondaga or Madison Co.

Purchased At:   Angletech Cycles, CO

Similar Products Used:   none, one aborted parking lot ride on a Vision.

Bike Setup:   Sachs 3 spd. internal hub w/ 7 cogs, Ultegra triple front = 63 gears!, Magura hydraulic brakes, Kris King headset, Avocet 45 tt computer w/ cadence, Speedplay Frog pedals, Rans seat bag with 3 liter water reservoir.

Submitted by Pat McShane a Recreational Rider from Eugene, Oregon

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2001

Strengths:    A very refined and well thought out bike. All of the components integrate very well with each other. THe bike has a unique "together" feel that many other recumbents lack. Don't be concerned about it being manufactured in Taiwan...the welds are as good or better than most US made bikes. Rans also does an excellent job of givning you a complete bike, with my bike coming with the water bottle holders, mirror and kickstand (which I took off), along with a video for the new user. Again this reflects the fact that the bike is well thought out. The bike was the best handling of all the bikes that I tested and seemed almost to intuitively know where I wanted it to go.

Weaknesses:    Cant really identify one at this point, with the possible exception that the use of the Rans fenders limits the rear tire size to 1.5 inches, but this is really pretty minor.

Bottom Line:
I did a lot research and spoke to alot of knowledgable people and most acknowledge that the V-REX is the best SWB bike out there, although there are alot of other very good bikes that compare very favorably. When I was shopping different bikes, I was not anticipating my commuting on the bike. However since purchasing it, I have stared commuting and the V-REX is a very flexible bike that is comfortble in a number of roles. It is one of those purchases that you feel comfortable in paying full retail because the bike is an excellent value even at full price. A great riding bike, that you will really love if you are in the market for a SWB performance oriented recumbent.

Purchased At:   Corvallis Cyclery