Rans Recumbents V-Rex Older Recumbent Bike

4.83/5 (35 Reviews)

A design worthy of being the Stratus reciprocal, the V-Rex has cult and classic status, and its own identity. The stretched short wheel base design gets the ride right where it should be... double sweet like a CLASSIC should be. Tour, commute, cruise, race... a lot.

Submitted by Dillon

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2013

Strengths:    very aerodynamic, very fast (just as fast as a road bike), doesn't hurt your back, sort of light weight, easy to drive and steer, I got mine from a non-profit bike shop i volunteer at, the owner found it in Maine used for $800.00, i put in a ton of hours in trade for it, because i couldn't have afforded that even.

Weaknesses:    You can't lift it up very far, it is a bit heavy, but still light enough for doing some racing without tiring you out. I use mine for everyday commuting and i ride 3 miles each way, and plus sometime even more than that in a day.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend it to everyone it to any one who's looking for a good recumbent to ride, whether for fun or commuting, this is the best you can buy, and i have tried many different types of upright recumbent's. I have had mine for almost a year and it has been the best bike I've owned.

Keep on Biking....

Submitted by rgito a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2012

Strengths:    I have the 2000 version of the V (royal blue paint - gorgeous) and have enjoyed many comfortable miles along/in the Colorado/Wyoming Front Range. After having ridden my upright Eddy Merckx/Campagolo Record in my younger years, I finally wised up and got 'bent. No more sore crotch/back/neck/arms, etc. I can't believe more people don't choose to ride in comfort.

The VRex (mine anyway) comes well equipped with SRAM 9.0 grip shifters and rear der. Shimano 105 3 ring crank and front der. Avid Dial7 brake levers and really nice ArchRival brakes. Ritchey headset and the most comfortable recumbent seat I have yet found. Alex rims, LX hubs, and Comet Primo tires have run true all these years (yup still on my original pair).

I installed a RadicalDesigns rear pannier and a GreenSpeed kick stand and a Sigma Sport 800 computer and I could not be happier.

Weaknesses:    It is a bit pricey ($1500) new, but worth it. I just saw one for sale for $600 in my local paper. On a whim I went by and took a look and it was a newer model than my own. The owner was an older fellow who could no longer ride. I thought about picking it up...but i don't need another as mine has lasted forever!

Bottom Line:
This is the classic short wheel base (SWB) recumbent. Fast, manuverable, and fun. Yes it is not as stable/forgiving as a long wheel base. Even so the enjoyment factor is so high I could not imagine not owning one.

Enjoy the ride.

Favorite Ride:   everyday commuter (15-20 mi/day)

Purchased At:   Bicycle Station, Che

Similar Products Used:   Linear
eBike
GoldRush

Submitted by John Foltz a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2011

Strengths:    Ergonomics and utility. The RANS seat sets the standard for comfort in the recumbent world. The back is mesh for good ventilation, and it's angled up enough to give a great view of the world while you're riding. The pedals are at seat level, just high enough for good aerodynamics without going to extremes. The triangulated chromoloy frame is bulletproof, as well as stiff and responsive.

Weaknesses:    I'd have to say the RANS Flip-It(tm) stem is the biggest weak point. Although it's functional, it's chintzy. When it wears and starts getting sloppy, replace it with a Terracycles Glide-Flex stem and never worry about it again. Also, like many recumbents, the OEM wheels are kind of heavy; replacing them with a nicer set of low-spoke-count wheels will help performance noticeably.

Bottom Line:
The V-Rex epitomizes the 'standard' short wheelbase recumbent. It is fast enough to let you keep up with your non-racer friends, and it's comfortable enough for non-stop century rides. Or, you can add panniers and really load it down for touring. It climbs nearly as well as an upright bike, and handles high-speed downhills with aplomb. I've had mine for 14 years, and every time I sit in it, I have an "ahhh!" moment. I may never sell it, because everyone I know who's sold theirs was ultimately sorry they did. Yeah, it's that good.

Favorite Ride:   DALMAC

Purchased At:   Central Park Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, and an M5 Carbon highracer

Bike Setup:   Mine is a 1997 V-Rex24, with a 451 (20") front wheel and a 507 (24") rear wheel. Wheels are Velocity Aero rims built on Shimano XT hubs. The transmission is Shimano 105 crank and derailleurs, 3x9 using SRAM X-7 Grip Shifters. The range is as wide as I can manage: front is 30/44/56T and the rear is 11-32, for a gear range of 21 to 114 gear inches. It uses a V-Brake in front and an Avid BB-7 mechanical disk on the rear wheel.

Submitted by Brian a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2011

Strengths:    Well made, light, fast, the seat is great.

Weaknesses:    I guess some kind of saddle adjustment for the angle would be good. Its a minor issue. other than that. no weakness.

Bottom Line:
This is my second SWB bent. I sold the first 1, A Sun EZ SX SWB. The V-Rex is smooth, light, well made, etc. I ride for exercise, I have had Hernia surgery and my knees are not great. - Too many years of riding uprights. I therefore wear knee braces and an abdominal brace. I can do 16 miles on the V-Rex without any problems. The bike tracks well and is very fast. 1 point to remember when first riding an SWB: Make sure the vertical steering tube is at the same angle as the front fork. If you do not have the geometry right, the bike will feel very unstable. I would recommend this bike to anyone that loves to cycle.

Favorite Ride:   Pompano Park Pompano FL

Purchased At:   Alantic Bike

Similar Products Used:   Sun SX SWB (2,500 miles)

Bike Setup:   stock with the bag on the back of the seat. LED lights. Trip computer. Pretty stock bike.

Submitted by Frank a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Strengths:    Comfort
SPEED
abality to shame the wedgie riden, Spandex wearing. Cycleist into rethinking old school bikes.Its so fun to ride this thing once you get used to it.The best thing is that you can pour on the power in a bank turn. You can't do this on a regular bike.. Not like this.
Durable...I ride it hard and put it away wet.Other than tube\tire failure. It has bin flawless.
Value..The only other recumbent that I would concider other than the V-Rex is a lightning P-38.. But thats @$3200

Weaknesses:    Paint sucks
Tires suck
To comfortable..Makes my 76 mile trail to short now.

Bottom Line:
After about 5000 miles I can honistly say this bike is the BEST thing I ever bought. I rode the trail for years on a mongoose mountian bike until a shoulder injury made it a chore to do my regular 26 miles without discomfort. Well I got this bike and my "regular" ride went to @40mi. My speed also increased. 38mph top speed so far.
I wish I got it years ago. It took me an injury to consider one. My best advice is JUST BUY THE THING, Change the primo tires to PP tires and ride Your butt will thank you later. What sold me was the fact that with a regular bike the only way to truley relax and to take a break was to get off and sit on a bench or a rock. With this I just stop pedeling. My ride is non stop. Except to stretch 1 or 2 times. Everybody says that I look relaxed when I ride. Thats because I am. And thats part ot the technique to ride the thing. That and gearing. You MUST be in the proper gear prior to taking off.READ THE REST OF THE REVIEWS. We all love our bikes. Join the croud. I'm a very bitter customer. Hard to please type>> Nothing is good enough.. For me to say anything positive about anything I ever bought is so rare...JUST BUY IT ALREADY!!!!!

Favorite Ride:   henry hudson trail