Rans Recumbents V2 Older Recumbent Bike

4.7/5 (10 Reviews)
MSRP : $1950.00

This built-for-speed recumbent. Special attention to frame geometry, strength, and weight has netted a high performance frame with friendly handling.

Submitted by kobaken4 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2004

Strengths:    Great combination of performance and practicality, very reasonable price.

Weaknesses:    Zephyr seat bottom is difficult to adjust. Stock handlebar configuration may be a little too far forward, limiting seat recline. (Optional long stem is available, and I intend to test it soon.)

Bottom Line:
This is a very practical bike with good performance. Unlike SWB bikes there are no obstacles between my legs, and the handlebar is far enough that I don't feel claustrophobic. Stepover height is very low, and it's easy to stop and put my feet down. It has a higher BB than most other LWB bikes, which means I can lay the seatback further down, distributing my weight more evenly on my back and bottom. Handling is very natural, and vastly improved from the earlier versions. (I have a 2004 version; I'm writing my review here because there's no entry for a newer version.) It climbs very well thanks to the very stiff frame.

Purchased At:   Calhoun Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Easy Racers Gold Rush Replica, several SWB bikes including Lightning Stealth and Bacchetta Aero

Bike Setup:   2004 model, standard (steel) frame, optional Zephyr seat, Mueller Windwrap fairing and bodysock

Submitted by schaumannk a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2004

Strengths:    The bike is comfortable. The seat is great. SRAM Grip shifters work fine. Front and rear deralieur have worked without problems. I can ride long distances with little discomfort.

Weaknesses:    Tiller effect is kind of anoying. The tiller can probably be fixed but it isn't anoying enough to put any money or effort into. I think rans should put a water bottle cage somewhere on the frame with easy access.

Bottom Line:
This is my first recumbent. I tested several recumbents and baught a 2003 V2. I found that I liked the LWB. Bike worked well right from the LBS. I used to race in the mid to late 80's. Wanted to start riding again without the discomfort of a racing saddle. If I had to do it over again I would buy this bike again. Great price.

Similar Products Used:   Tested a couple of short wheel base bikes. Wife has a WhizWheels trike.

Bike Setup:   Factory.

Submitted by recumbentbill a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2003

Strengths:    Bike is fast. Climbs good .No low speed handling problems. Very comfy .Great bike for long 100mile centuries

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses. I like every thing about this bike[even the Sram shifters and brakes]

Bottom Line:
Excellent long wheel base bent.Pics can be seen at webshots.com. Search for recumbentbill.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere in West TN

Price Paid:    $1995.00

Purchased At:   hostelshoppe

Similar Products Used:   still own a bike e AT. Bike E FX. RANS Gliss. Sold my Vison R40 which was a nice bike but I'm a LWB guy

Bike Setup:   Stock with the Aero seat bag

Submitted by toadifer a Recreational Rider from Seaford DE

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2001

Strengths:    Frame stiffness, seat comfort and ventilation

Weaknesses:    Low speed handling sucks. shifters should be better at this price point. Brakes could be better, too.

Bottom Line:
Very stiff for a long frame, better than my wife's Stratus. Components do seem on the downscale side for a pricey machine. I will upgrade as I go. Definitely a complete change for a long-haul wedgie rider.

Favorite Ride:   seaford to the DE Bay

Purchased At:   HostelShoppe

Similar Products Used:   Stratus, lightning p38

Bike Setup:   LWB, Fairing, half clip half flat pedals
Otherwise bone stock.

Submitted by Michael Nelson a Recreational Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2001

Strengths:    Great looks, ultra-stiff frame translates the least pedal effort into immedate forward motion. Good climber, very comfortable, WindWrap fairing is standard equipment

Weaknesses:    SRAM 9.0 components are junk. Brakes mushy, plastic brake levers flex visibly under hard braking, shifting loud and uncomfortable (I don't like GripShift), rear derailleur wouldn't run true on 11T sprocet. Cheap wheels, tires and crappy KMC chain.

Bottom Line:
This bike is FAST, even with a worn-out rider like me. Although it has the same steering assembly as the other Rans LWB bikes, the low-speed handling is VERY good, and the high-speed handling is rock solid stable. The stiff frame doesn't ride as cushy as a Stratus, but it's a controlled stiffness, not that soggy noodle feeling the Stratus frame has. Replacing all the SRAM running gear with XTR absolutely transformed the bike. Hill climbing is easier than with any of the previous 3 'bents I've owned. Now if it only came in YELLOW!

I'm giving 3 stars for value because of the crappy supplied component mix, 5 stars for overall for the way the bike is now, after my modifications / upgrades.

Favorite Ride:   SF-> China Camp

Purchased At:   Fool's Crow Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Rans 2001 Rocket, HP Velotechnik Street Machine, HP Velotechnik Speedmachine

Bike Setup:   Replaced all the SRAM junk with XTR. Replaced wheels with black Velocity AeroHeat with black spokes and XTR hubs. Replaced Primo tires with Vredestein S-Licks. Replaced all cables with teflon-coated ones. Added Avid Rollamajig. Replaced the KMC chain with SRAM PC-59 with PowerLink.

Campagnolo V2 EPS Battery

I am looking at the new Chorus EPS and have a question about the V2 battery. I read the below from Road.cc "The power comes from an EPS V2 battery that sits internally within the bike frame. Campag say this keeps it safe from impact and contamination as well as improving the looks of your bike." ... Read More »

6500 era (Octalink v2) compact cranks?

My google-fu is failing me. I want to get my hands on a compact crank that will work with my existing BB, and I can't seem to find a part/model number for a compact crank. I currently use a 6500 standard with 172.5mm crank arms, and I want to get my old steel "in line" with my modern carbon, whi ... Read More »

C60 with EPS V2

Hi guys, anyone out there with a Colnago C60 & EPS V2 , been told you have problems fitting the battery "can only fix it with one screw on the down tube" is this correct , also frame came with a colnago chain catcher, this won't fit as the front derailleur bolt is to short, can this be chained for a ... Read More »

Kurt Kinetic Road Machine (and/or v2.0) question

Hey all. My son (13) just got a road bike (a Felt F95 Jr). It has 650 tires. I have a Felt F75X with 700c's. I'd like to go ahead and get a trainer now (in the wrong season) because they are on sale and because I think it would help him a lot with learning how to ride it. I'm down to either the ... Read More »

FSA Superlight Crankset with Octalink. is it V1 or V2?

I need to get a new BB for a FSA Superlight crankset from the mid 2000s. I don't know if its V1 or V2. i don't have the bicycle with me, so i can't do a visual check. does anybody happen to know? thanksRead More »