Aegis 1999 Aro Svelte 2 Older Road Bike

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

1999 Aegis Aro Svelte 2, road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra components, Aegis Hot Rod fork

Submitted by V.Nguyen from Dallas

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2000

Strengths:    very good value w/several component options

custom paint job

strong bike but not too stiff for good road feel

Weaknesses:    like previous review, I agree the paint job is poor for such a nice bike (mine was delivered w/big chip that did not look much better w/touch up paint which was kind of hard to obtain from Aegis)

no pedals (should at least be included as part of Ultegra group)

Bottom Line:
After my Trek 5000 was stolen by low paid construction workers, I was on a mission to find a replacement and hopefully find my old bike (yes, I knew it was hopeless and probably already in Mexico). Many many months later, I almost bought the Trek 5200 but didn't like the paint schemes. I came across the Aegis at a local shop that offered a custom deal I couldn't refuse (~$2700). Except for the weak paint job, I like my bike and it handles as well as the Treks but looks much better. I just had to get used to the different geometry of the seat tube.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5000

Bike Setup:   blue w/Cinelli bar, Moto Ace stem, Flite saddle, Thomson post, Rolf Comp, Cont. Grand Prix, Icon pedals (free fr. shop)

Submitted by George a Recreational Rider from Hayward CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2000

Strengths:    strong, light; carbon fork/frame dampens road vibration better than Ti, yet is stiffer. handles well in tight speed turns, fast downhills.

Weaknesses:    paint scratches and chips too easily. got to be careful with it.

Bottom Line:
A great bike, and the vibration damping is great on a older bod (49) like mine. Comfortable.

Favorite Ride:   Redwood Road, Grizzley Peak

Similar Products Used:   Merlin extra light, Cannodale 1000.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra triple, Mavic EXP 33 wheels, salsa stem & bars, Italia seat, specialized team turbo tires, carbon seat post, 54cm frame, weighs 20 lbs.