Airborne 2001 Valkyrie Older Road Bike

• $1345-$2436
  • Aerospace Grade 3AL/2.5V Seamless Titanium tubing·
  • Oversized 1 1/8” Head tube
  • 40mm down tube
  • Size specific Top tube 31.8mm (50,54, 56cm), 34.9mm (58, 60cm)
  • Cold Worked GAMS (Graceful Arc Maximum Stiffness) Rear triangle
  • Pump peg (56,58,60cm)
  • Seat stay mounted chain hanger (all sizes)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by orans a Road Racer from Salisbury

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Strengths:    I love the smooth ride of titanium in combination with the stiffness and the corrosion resistance is great for a big sweater like me.

Weaknesses:    I chose a set of wheelsmith wheels with my complete bike and was not completely satisfied with the quality.

Bottom Line:
    I have raced/ridden steel, fat tube aluminum, and carbon bikes since 1988. The Valkyrie is the best bike I have ever owned. Smooth ride, yet stiff and responsive. Titanium is great and the service/delivery at Airborne is better than the local bike shop. This bike has motivated me to get on the bike as often as I can and didn't break my budget now that I have kids.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Aluminum, steel, and carbon road frames

Bike Setup:   Combination of dura ace and ultegra with wheelsmith built wheels.

Submitted by Sandi a Recreational Rider from Nacogdoches, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent cornering, super light and fast. Looks great! Super value. Customer service gets an "A".

Weaknesses:    None...

Bottom Line:
    This is an excellent bike, I so pleased with it. Handles great, so light and a great ride. I ride about 60 miles a week and do at least 3 road rides/races a month. My bike has always done a great job for me and flys down descents without a problem, no vibration. Airborne gave us fast, helpful service. I can not complain at all about the overall experience! Its great! I would not hesitate to recommend Airborne as their next bike consideration. The bike is a work of art! Thank you!

Favorite Ride:   any time I am on my bike, that is my favorite!

Purchased At:   airborne.com website

Similar Products Used:   I have a Bianchi Titanium mountain bike which I love. Also have a full suspension Cannondale mountain bike, but I only ride the Bianchi.

Bike Setup:   2002 Valkyrie Titanium Road frame, 50CM, with the natural finish. Shimano 105 components, Triple rin

Submitted by rick920 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Strengths:    Well-built and finished with very clean weld profiles; good compromise between stiffness and suppleness; relatively light; finish is easy to maintain; frame/fork were a genuine bargain. I doubt that a boutique Ti frame would perform any better.

Weaknesses:    Ti looks surprisingly good, but a shiny new paint job still looks sexier to me.

Bottom Line:
    The Airborne Valkyrie is a high quality frame at a very reasonable price.

I bought the frame and fork for $699 from a retailer and built it up myself.

I agonized over whether to buy a beautiful lugged frame or a rust-proof Ti frame (I live in a very rainy area), and settled on the Ti-framed Valkyrie for its price/value.

I've owned Al and steel frames, but this is my first Ti frame. My impressions after nearly 2 months are that it is stiffer than either of my steel bikes, almost as light as my Al bike, and seems to transmit less road noise than any of my previous bikes--probably because of the carbon fork.

Fitting any bike over the internet requires more knowledge and care than buying from a good LBS. The Valkyrie is a compact frame (sloping top tube) which makes fitting a little easier for someone like me with a longer torso and shorter legs than average. It's best to keep in mind that a bike frame's main function is to hold your hands, butt and feet in optimum positions relative to each other, without being too heavy or too flexible. If you measure the "triangle" between butt, feet and hands, you can make most appropriately sized frames fit most people using stem, seatpost and seat position adjustments. I measured the "triangle" on my most comfortable frame, then bought the Valkyrie in the size best suited to duplicating my optimum "rider triangle" (54 cm).

My only fitting compromise is that I had to use 2" of spacers on my steer tube to get the bar height I find comfortable with the stem rise which "looks" best to my eye. I was a little cautious about using 2" of spacers, but the fork manufacturer (Kestrel) advised me that the Pro O/S with 1-1/8" Al steer tube can be used with up to 4" of spacers! When flexed in my basement, this setup is clearly more flexible than my previous quill-type fork setups. However, once on the road, the flex is not noticeable, even when out of the saddle while climbing steep hills.

I don't get any noticeable frame flex. With all my other road frames, I've been able to get the front triple derailer to rub while climbing out of the saddle. But not on this frame.

Some people have commented that they prefer Ti frames with brushed or polished finishes, but I actually prefer the media-blasted finish of the Airborne. It doesn't show fingerprints, and is very easy to keep looking clean and new.

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor web site

Similar Products Used:   Crescent Pepita Special (1971); Rocky Mountain Turbo (1996); Cramerotti Gara (2000).

Bike Setup:   Mix of Ultegra and 105 drive train, Ultegra hubs, Open Pro rims, Ritchey WCS stem and bars, Kestrel

Submitted by hosehead a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2002

Strengths:    Quality, customer service, turn around time on the order, PRICE!!!

Weaknesses:    The decals are very cheesy...kinda like the stuff that covers up the numbers on a scratch off lottery ticket. They rub off almost as easily. Not exactlly a tradgedy. The WTB saddle that comes for free is a torture device and might as well be made of razor blades.

Bottom Line:
    The Valkyrie is simply great, but the quality of the bike is not the best part about an Airborne. The fact that you can select each piece and custom build your bike is the best part. You can build it to your specific needs or demensions (to a degree). They review your selcetions before finalising the order which is helpful. They offer such a vast array of parts that you can build up a recreational bike or a ultra light high quality racer. The online feature where you select your parts is awesome. The price and weight of the bike changes with each selection you make as you make it. Their sight is great overall too. The valkyrie is a compact frame even though they don't call it so. I got a 58 cm and it feels a bit smaller that my other 2 58 cm bikes. At first I wished I had gotten a 60 but i just adapted to the new feel. For the price, this bike is unbeatable. Why pay double for another Ti bike when you can have an Airborne decked out in Dura Ace and Campy stuff for 2 K or so??!!

Favorite Ride:   clermont fl.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   uh.....none. This is my first Ti bike. I do have a Specialized Allez sport. Is that similar?!

Bike Setup:   Dura ace hubs and BB. Campy Record headset. All other components are Ultegra. Mavic open pro rims

Submitted by John a Triathlete from Springfield, MO

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2001

Strengths:    Light, Stiff. Looks Great!

Weaknesses:    Disconnected from customer service with airborne during order process. They threw in a shirt to say "Sorry". Still have not received the tune up credit?

Bottom Line:
    Beginner Triathlete, desired a bike that I could ride on long road rides and in triathlons. Wanted titanium and minimum Ultegra for under $2k. Valkyrie has been great. Was a little nervous at purchasing over the internet without being fitted or test riding, however, this bike fits better than the Cannondale that I test rode. Very happy with the bike, when I upgrade in a few years I will definitely consider another Airborne.

Favorite Ride:   Ozarks