Airborne Zeppelin 2001 Older Road Bike

4.83/5 (107 Reviews)

• $1525-$2660
  • 2000 Cycling Plus Road Bike of the Year
  • You Choose Each Component to Create and Purchase your Dream Bike Online.
  • Aerospace Grade 3AL/2.5V Titanium Frame
  • Multi-shaped Cold Worked Seamless Titanium Tubing
  • GAMS (Graceful Arc Maximum Stiffness) engineered seat and chain stays.
  • Sizes: 43,50,54,56,58,60, & 63cm

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Eric a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Strengths:    Value for titanium
    Absorbs vibrations excellently
    Ti has the bling factor
    Finish - seriously, this thing looks like it's still brand new despite being a 2000!

Weaknesses:    The 2000 came with a 1" steerer tube instead of the 1 1/8". Not really a weakness, but it just limits me on what fork I can get.

Bottom Line:
    This is hands down a "great value for the money" bike. This 2000 frame I have is the same exact one that won the "Best Road Bike of the Year" from Cycling Plus Magazine. This is my first road bike and have been very happy with the it. Too bad I am forced to sell it, because it is not the proper size for me. I am 5'7" and the bike is a 54cm. The top tube is too long for me at 56cm c-c/57cm effective. If c-c was 53cm, it would be perfect.

The ride is very cushy; there are many times I look down at my rear wheel to see if I have a flat. I have Bontrager X Lites, so my wheels are plenty stiff and my tires are pumped to 100 psi. This just shows how much of the road vibration this bike can absorb.

Too bad it's too big, now I'm in the market for a new frame and this one will probably be selling on eBay. If I can find another Zeppelin my size, I'd be happy!

Favorite Ride:   Millnes Road by Knights Ferry

Speedplay X1 Ti Pedals
    Chris King headset

Submitted by davidtrajtenberg a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2004

Strengths:    Cost for sure.

Weaknesses:    If you do not like the sloping seat tube, then this would be a minus. At first the frame felt a little bit small, but after a few adjustments, I realized that the small feel was due to the sloping top tube.

Bottom Line:
    It's about time that I write a review for this bike. I have been very pleased with this frame. It is perfectly stiff (I weight 175lbs) and handles beautifully. I have a litespeed mtn. bike and I notice no difference in ride quality or craftmanship.

Favorite Ride:   Yokosuka to Atami

Purchased At:   Directly form airbor

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed Obed and Pisgah mtn. bikes
    Cannondale road frame.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra/105 Mix.
    King hubs and headset.
    Look Ergo post.
    Profile BRC Fork.

Submitted by lou a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    good price for an exccelent bike

Weaknesses:    a tad heavy

Bottom Line:
    i race mtb and use this bike to train and i love this bike. i'm 6'1" at 200 pounds and this bike has very minimal flex. it corners,accelerates,climbs,and decends very well equiped with ultegra and ksryium elite wheels. it is not the lightest but the ti frame is super smooth.

Purchased At:   airborne.net

Bike Setup:   ultegra all around, ritchey pro stem, seatpost, and handelbars, mavic ksyrium elite wheels, shimano flitedeck computer, selle italia turbo matic 3 saddle

Submitted by Martin a Road Racer from SLC, Utah

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2002

Strengths:    The frame is awesome. Ti is everything it says it will be and more.
    Cost was great. Airborne excellent to work with.

Weaknesses:    Only the rider

Bottom Line:
    This is a smooth bike. I love the way it feels in every aspect of the road. It corners like it is on rails. It flys down hill like abat out of hell.
    It even made me a better climber. Low weight. Great setup. Looks fast stnding still
    Makes every road seem just paved. Ti finish looks great. An excellent alriund bike. It brought joy back to riding for me

Favorite Ride:   Any Smooth road

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Only aluminium, bodies glad I made the switch

Bike Setup:   Shimano Ultegra, wouldn't change a thing

Submitted by tgossman a Recreational Rider from ohio

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2002

Strengths:    As I said overall agreat deal .good value smooth ride

Weaknesses:    I've found few flaws. The one thing that a person should be aware of is this bike is long

Bottom Line:
    Though an economic price the ride and quality of this bike is the best I've evry had . I purchased my as a demo so the price was lower than most pay.I do alot of riding and the way this bike rides I can go farther faster with less fatigue.I was the first in the crowd of people I ride with to purchase an Airborne but already two others have bought them . From what we are all telling our friends there will be more soon. I called on a few of the items that I purchased at the sale and the customer service/responce was great. A friend of mine who purchased a bike had some aligment problems and the airborne crew took care of the problem the day he dropped off his bike .In fact while he waited . Overall a great value.

Favorite Ride:   TOSRV

Purchased At:   Airborne garage sale

Similar Products Used:   I have ridden Canomdale bikes for sevral years as well as a steel frame . Canondales are close but not as confortable

Bike Setup:   Top tube a bit long but was able to exchange the stem for a shorter one for the postage.