Bianchi 1999 Alfana Older Road Bike

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)

1999 Bianchi Alfana, road/sport, Campagnolo Avanti Triple components, Bianchi fork

Submitted by Sam Chin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2005

Strengths:    Solid, fast, and good looking bike for a nice price. A frame worth investing in.

Weaknesses:    Weight, delicate and heavy wheels.

Bottom Line:
I have triple chain rings on this bike, which is nice since I live atop some extremely steep (up to 33%) hills. The bike is a little bit heavy, especially the rear, but since I ride a dual suspension MTB half the time, this feels like a feather. The Campy Avanti gruppo runs very smoothly. The paint is very well applied.

Favorite Ride:   Griffith Park/ LA River

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   This is my first road bike. I was riding a hardtail Stumpjumper with slicks before this.

Bike Setup:   I put some aero bars and Speedplay Frog pedals on it and now I can really rocket.

Submitted by Bianchi-Bros a Recreational Rider from Blue Sprngs, MO USA

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2002

Strengths:    Great ride on an excellent Bianchi steel frame, beautiful pearl finish, and solid Campagnolo component parts.

Weaknesses:    Bike is on the heavy side although race ready. Includes somewhat "older" technology including CrMo fork, threaded steerer, and 8 speed rear cassette.

Bottom Line:
My prior bike was a Bianchi Premio with downtube shifters. The Alfana features Campy Avanti Ergo Shifters, Avanti rear der, and Mirage T front der have performed flawlessly, although, I did upgrade from stock Bianchi 170mm crank set to 175mm Campy Racing T. It is quite hilly here in the KC area and I have appreciated dropping into the 32 tooth chain ring on steep upgrades. I did replace the stock Fir rims and hubs opting for Mavic Open Pros with record hubs, and Hutchinson Carbon Comp tires. The stock saddle was adequate, but ugraded to a Selle Italia Octovia. The finish is impeccable - pearl white with navy decals and teal Bianchi badge. This bike has served me well for training, weekly group rides, and charity events.

Favorite Ride:   Lake City to Fort Osage

Purchased At:   Road Bike Review Cla

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale R700 Triple, LeMond Tourmalet

Bike Setup:   Bianchi steel frame (57cm) with pearl white finish. Includes complementary Campagnolo component parts - Avanti Ergo shifters, brakes, rear der, Mirage T front der, 175mm Racing T crankset (32-42-52), and Record hubs on Mavic Open Pro CD SUP rims. Tires are Hutchinson Carbon Comp.

Submitted by remumc a Recreational Rider from Pearland, Texas

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2002

Strengths:    Great frame and paint. Great entry level bike that you can upgrade as you go.

Weaknesses:    Wheels need to be upgraded, they are not up to the same quality as the rest of the bike. I didn't like the seat, but maybe that's just me.

Bottom Line:
The Bianchi Alfano is a nice bike for the money. I have always liked steel frame bikes, and the paint work was very good. The Compagnolo Avanti rear derailleur and Mirage T front derailleur worked very well and were smooth and quite. The brakes worked well, but I could not give them much of a test as there are no hills here. This is my first bike with the ergo indexing levers and I really like them! The bike is heavy, but strong and well built. The wheels are the weak link. The are not welded at the seam and are difficult to keep true. I would recommend replacing them asap if you are going to do much riding. I upgraded to Campagnolo Nucleons, then to a Record 10 groupo to cut weight and better utilize the wheels. I have just switched to an Easton EC-70 carbon fiber front fork with alloy steerer, Easton EC-90 carbon fiber bars, and Chris King headset. It is really wonderful now, pretty much the bike I always dreamed of!

Favorite Ride:   Early Sunday morning when there is no traffic

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Specialized, Motobecane

Bike Setup:   Campy Nucleon wheels, Record 10 groupo, Record carbon seatpost, Easton EC-70 carbon fiber front for

Submitted by Jack Crowe a Road Racer from Oak Park

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2001

Strengths:    Campy components. The frame is strong (I know, I've crashed it). The saddle grows on you, even on long rides. The granny gear came in handy on hilly rides.

Weaknesses:    Wheel rims (I went through front and back in the first year and upgraded to Mavic CXP 33). I busted the chain on a century (O.K. so maybe I ride a bit hard). It's on the heavy side at around 21 lbs.

Bottom Line:
This is a solid entry level road bike at a good price. It helped me make my foray into road riding with a fast group. The first thing I did was trade out the toe clips for entry level Look pedals. This helped me not get left behind when the light turns green. I've now moved on to Speedplay X/2, which I really like.

To celebrate a broken collar bone following a crash (I kissed the rear tire of the guy in front of me and went flying), I just bought a Trek 5200 carbon fiber bike for $2000. There's quite a difference.

Favorite Ride:   Wright Century - Madison, Wi

Purchased At:   Oak Park Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by peter hyde a Recreational Rider from San Antonio,Texas

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2000

Strengths:    Solid ride,comfortable

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
this is my first in 10 years, so this is like starting over for me. But I cound'nt be more happy with the price and service I got from the local shop.

This bike has got me back into the sport I love, and will stay with probably for the rest of my days. I ride 80 - 100 mile a week and enjoy every mile of it!

I am looking forward to upgrading soon to something in the $1500.00 range, weather it's an other bianchi or a giant TCR1 I havent figured that out yet.

Bottom Line... A good Starting point.

Favorite Ride:   Old Nacogoches Rd.

Purchased At:   Brittons