Bianchi 1999 Campione Older Road Bike

4.14/5 (21 Reviews)

1999 Bianchi Campione, road race & triathlon, Campagnolo Mirage components, Bianchi fork

Submitted by Steve Blanchard a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2015

Strengths:    Comfortable, reliable steel frame; smooth shifting low-end campy parts; good for long rides; rideable on dirt paths if you don't overdo it. Few component problems given age of bike; came with triple chain ring with granny gears for long climbs. Good tracking/steering on steep, curvy hills.

Weaknesses:    Stock seat will ruin your undercarriage; cheap pedals and tires. Heavy for bike with short road racer wheelbase. Flex in frame dampens acceleration.

Bottom Line:
I've owned my lime-green Campione for 15 years and have used it off and on for long rides in New York's Finger Lake Region, and at one time, for commuting. It's also done a fair amount of trail and gravel road riding. By now it's probably racked up 5,000 miles or so and I certainly feel like I've gotten my money's worth. Admittedly, I'm more of a runner than a cyclist and all the wrong muscles are developed. So I can't really do the bike justice in the sense of pushing it to the max. My impression, though is that the Campione was designed for someone who wanted a moderately fast and twitchy bike for training but that a strong rider would have found it too heavy for racing even back when it was built.

Who should buy it (assuming you can still find one in good condition today): Someone in good enough shape to enjoy long rides but for whom cycling is a secondary sport; someone who wants a fast commuter and is comfortable riding a (low-end) racing frame. It might be ok for a mini triathalon as long as you are just out to have a good time.

Who shouldn't: casual/inexperienced riders might find the short wheel base unnerving, uncomfortable, and unsafe. This is not a beginner bike.

Favorite Ride:   Candaigua Lake or Canadice Lake, NY

Purchased At:   Ann Arbor Cyclery (M

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Replaced the following: stock seat with Rx model; stock pedals with Shimano (105?) stock brakes with Shimano 105; stock wheels with Mavic Open Pro; stock tires with Bontrager Race.

Submitted by Kurt a Recreational Rider from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Strengths:    Good frame, especially for recreational riding. A tad heavy for constant climbing.

Weaknesses:    Components and attention to detail. I've had to adjust everything on it. The bar tape came from together. The drive train and shifting is pretty poor. I've had some problems with the front derailer. I looked at upgrading but it wasn't worth the bucks so I bought a new one

Bottom Line:
Bike was initially poorly assembled by the shop. Constantly adjusting headset, truing wheels etc. Whole bike is a little heavy but rides well. I really like the frame. Components left something to be desired. Chainring is not true due to alignment with the bottom bracket. Not sure if that's the bracket, chainring or bb mount.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 2300

Bike Setup:   All stock

Submitted by Dan from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Strengths:    This was my first road bike purchase after years of riding a mountian. The ride is smooth, comfortable, and the componentry (so far) has been great. The handlebars are well designed,and they fit my hands well, and set up my body well on the bike. Campy's shifters seem a little weird, but are easy to get used to and funtion better than I expected. Similar to the rapid fire I've been uses to with the mountain. Teh steering is responsive, and the color (cherry red) is head turning.

Weaknesses:    I had a flat almost immediately. I'm not sure if it was just a bad tube, or if the inside of the wheel provided some leftovers (from the construction process) to poke a hole in the tube. Not happy with the tires either - they seem sorta cheap. Seat is not great - invest $50 for one that will save your backside. Red handlebar tape dirtied almost immediately - will replace with black ASAP.

Bottom Line:
I think this bike is great. I spent a lot of time looking at different brands at this price level. I went with the Bianchi, and I'm very happy I did. The ride is smooth, and I look forward to riding it all the time. Its great for a 50 miler (once you get used to or replace the seat), the 10 mile commute in traffic, or just a 3 mile cruise around the neighborhood. And did I mention the head-turning quotient? A great bike for a beginner (like me), or even for a more experienced rider on a limited budget. I love this bike!

Purchased At:   City Bikes, DC

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Good - not sure what this is asking...

Submitted by Brian Ross a Triathlete from Spring Lake, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2001

Strengths:    I'll never have to worry about the frame getting rigid and brittle like aluminum frames do.

Weaknesses:    It's heavy and flexes too much pound out a powerful sprint on it therefore a good jump on a sprint is hard to do on this bike.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for training. It is perfect for centuries or endurance rides where you need a bike that behaves perfectly under any condition. I've been up to 52.3mph on this bike down a hill and it felt fine. Many bikes would start shimmying all over the place at this kind of speed. Do not buy this bike if you want to race criteriums on it. The geometry is too relaxed for sharp cornering and the frame is too spongy for powerful sprints on top of it being pretty darn heavy.

Favorite Ride:   rolling country hills

Purchased At:   Lake Shore Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   other Bianchis, Centurion, Panasonic

Bike Setup:   Forte carbon fork, Alex rims, Michelin Synergic tires, Performance saddle with everything else stock

Submitted by john a Road Racer from boston

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2001

Strengths:    The wheels on the one I purchased were amazingly durable. The were FIR's, with Campy Mirage hubs. On the heavy side, but very durable. I have never had to true them!

Weaknesses:    The bike's weight. It is heavey but after all you are paying for a great lugged frame and wheels that won't go out of whack. I would reccomend it as an ideal beater bike or a great bike for the first timer.

Bottom Line:
A great durable ride. Great beater bike or ideal for those just starting up racing. Also great for the recreational rider. Not ideal for the hard core racer because it is a little heavier then other models that are more suited for their riding styles and neads.

Favorite Ride:   Boston Road Club rides

Purchased At:   used-The Want Add

Similar Products Used:   I recently bought a used Colnago, but I stayed with the awesome Campy parts (Chorus grouppo)

Bike Setup:   The bike was the
The bike was the Bianchi steel frame and fork, Campy Mirage grouppo, FIR wheels ( with Campy Mirage hubs), ITm bars and stem and Vittoria tires.

Coming soon - hottest road bike products from these brands!