Bianchi 1999 Campione Older Road Bike

4.15/5 (20 Reviews)

1999 Bianchi Campione, road race & triathlon, Campagnolo Mirage components, Bianchi fork

Submitted by Kurt a Recreational Rider from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Strengths:    Good frame, especially for recreational riding. A tad heavy for constant climbing.

Weaknesses:    Components and attention to detail. I've had to adjust everything on it. The bar tape came from together. The drive train and shifting is pretty poor. I've had some problems with the front derailer. I looked at upgrading but it wasn't worth the bucks so I bought a new one

Bottom Line:
Bike was initially poorly assembled by the shop. Constantly adjusting headset, truing wheels etc. Whole bike is a little heavy but rides well. I really like the frame. Components left something to be desired. Chainring is not true due to alignment with the bottom bracket. Not sure if that's the bracket, chainring or bb mount.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 2300

Bike Setup:   All stock

Submitted by Dan from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Strengths:    This was my first road bike purchase after years of riding a mountian. The ride is smooth, comfortable, and the componentry (so far) has been great. The handlebars are well designed,and they fit my hands well, and set up my body well on the bike. Campy's shifters seem a little weird, but are easy to get used to and funtion better than I expected. Similar to the rapid fire I've been uses to with the mountain. Teh steering is responsive, and the color (cherry red) is head turning.

Weaknesses:    I had a flat almost immediately. I'm not sure if it was just a bad tube, or if the inside of the wheel provided some leftovers (from the construction process) to poke a hole in the tube. Not happy with the tires either - they seem sorta cheap. Seat is not great - invest $50 for one that will save your backside. Red handlebar tape dirtied almost immediately - will replace with black ASAP.

Bottom Line:
I think this bike is great. I spent a lot of time looking at different brands at this price level. I went with the Bianchi, and I'm very happy I did. The ride is smooth, and I look forward to riding it all the time. Its great for a 50 miler (once you get used to or replace the seat), the 10 mile commute in traffic, or just a 3 mile cruise around the neighborhood. And did I mention the head-turning quotient? A great bike for a beginner (like me), or even for a more experienced rider on a limited budget. I love this bike!

Purchased At:   City Bikes, DC

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Good - not sure what this is asking...

Submitted by Brian Ross a Triathlete from Spring Lake, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2001

Strengths:    I'll never have to worry about the frame getting rigid and brittle like aluminum frames do.

Weaknesses:    It's heavy and flexes too much pound out a powerful sprint on it therefore a good jump on a sprint is hard to do on this bike.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for training. It is perfect for centuries or endurance rides where you need a bike that behaves perfectly under any condition. I've been up to 52.3mph on this bike down a hill and it felt fine. Many bikes would start shimmying all over the place at this kind of speed. Do not buy this bike if you want to race criteriums on it. The geometry is too relaxed for sharp cornering and the frame is too spongy for powerful sprints on top of it being pretty darn heavy.

Favorite Ride:   rolling country hills

Purchased At:   Lake Shore Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   other Bianchis, Centurion, Panasonic

Bike Setup:   Forte carbon fork, Alex rims, Michelin Synergic tires, Performance saddle with everything else stock

Submitted by john a Road Racer from boston

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2001

Strengths:    The wheels on the one I purchased were amazingly durable. The were FIR's, with Campy Mirage hubs. On the heavy side, but very durable. I have never had to true them!

Weaknesses:    The bike's weight. It is heavey but after all you are paying for a great lugged frame and wheels that won't go out of whack. I would reccomend it as an ideal beater bike or a great bike for the first timer.

Bottom Line:
A great durable ride. Great beater bike or ideal for those just starting up racing. Also great for the recreational rider. Not ideal for the hard core racer because it is a little heavier then other models that are more suited for their riding styles and neads.

Favorite Ride:   Boston Road Club rides

Purchased At:   used-The Want Add

Similar Products Used:   I recently bought a used Colnago, but I stayed with the awesome Campy parts (Chorus grouppo)

Bike Setup:   The bike was the
The bike was the Bianchi steel frame and fork, Campy Mirage grouppo, FIR wheels ( with Campy Mirage hubs), ITm bars and stem and Vittoria tires.

Submitted by keneth harper a Road Racer from snowmass village, co, usa

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2001

Strengths:    The frame had the ride of steel. The componets sucked. I had to upgrade them in less than two months after the purchase. Bianchi would not honor discounting me upgrading the parts either

Weaknesses:    Compenets suck.

Bottom Line:
Good beginer frame but if I had to do it over again I would have gone for something top of the line. If you love to ride and ride allot just spend the money a bike will keep you in the best shape of your life.

Favorite Ride:   Marroon bells to Ashcroft

Purchased At:   Pomeroy

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Edge carbon fiber fork, Spinergy Rev-X lites, Dura Ace (love that Shimano stuff bullet proof)

Calssic celeste 1999 Bianchi Campione for sale

This is a total deal for the roadie who appreciates the classics! GREAT condition!! Only $650, in Ventura, CA Bicycle Type Road race & triathlon MSRP (new) $1,099.99 Weight Unspecified Sizes 55cm Color: Celeste Frame & Fork Frame Construction TIG-welded Frame Tubing Material Chrom ... Read More »

1999 Bianchi Campione Upgrade Questions

I have a 1999 55cm Bianchi Campione, and was interested if anyone else had upgraded theirs. I started with a 24# bike and with a new Winwood fork dropped almost 2#. Now, I have an Oddsandendos wheelset coming, which should drop close to 3# by my calculations, give or take. I am curious how light any ... Read More »