Bianchi 1999 Giro Older Road Bike

4.44/5 (9 Reviews)

1999 Bianchi Giro, road race & triathlon, Shimano 105 Triple components, Bianchi fork

Submitted by Solar71 a Road Racer from Malibu, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Strengths:    Price, Looks, Feel, Durability, and oh ya... SEX appeal ! ! !

Weaknesses:    SEAT!!! ouch!!!

Bottom Line:
This is my first performance bike. What can i say, I fell in love. Test road it one time, deal done. Felt to good, as if it was made for me. Just so you know, I tested many bikes at many different shops, not just the GIRO. So stable, fast, comfortable, inexpensive, and oh ya, DAMN SEXY ! ! !

Favorite Ride:   Coastal and quite

Purchased At:   Supergo Santa Monica

Similar Products Used:   none. but tried out many other bikes.
At least 7 high performance road bike.
none come close...

Bike Setup:   Dura ace - Everything. Easton EC90 forks. Easton CT2 post. Sella italia SLR saddle. TTT prima 199 ba

Submitted by Steve a Recreational Rider from Burlington

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    Stability, responsiveness, appearance

Weaknesses:    Wheels out of true after short time
Saddle
Tricky derailleur

Bottom Line:
Great bike, fits me like a glove. I'm not too happy with the Mavic wheelset it came with and will probably upgrade to Cosmos wheels before too long-- these keep going out of true after (relatively) short mileage, which granted may have to do with the fact that I put a lot of weight on the frame (240 lbs. on a 61 frame). I had to have the shop mess with the front derailleur a few times until it was running smoothly with no rubbing (I don't know what they did because I couldn't fix it for the life of me, but it works fine now). The saddle's terrible - get your own. But everything else is fantastic. It's a quick, stable and comfortable bike that's perfect for a hardcore recreational rider (if you put down the miles but don't race). Great looking machine, too.

Purchased At:   Earl's Cyclery and Fitness (www.earlsbikes.com)

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by mike arnold a Road Racer from daventry UK

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2001

Strengths:    In UK only comes with a double ring.
Nice stable handling - no trips to the ditch when the mind wanders.
Reasonably light.

Weaknesses:    Like everyone else that saddle.
Does't feel fast.
Awful wheels with rims that cracked at 1000 miles - bianchi by fir

Bottom Line:
I've just completed the 3000 miles. I replaced the saddle after two rides and had to wait for a few days before riding again for my backside to recover!

The wheel rims where single eyelet and cracked badly but were replaced under warrenty. Then they fell apart after 6 miles - this time I rebuilt them myself. Now relaced with some decent mavics.

Surprisingly dead ride with no exitement but climbs well and is comfortable over distance. Contrary to what you read about alloy frame, maybe due to the carbon fork. Decals are a bit fragile as well I actually ride a BIANCH on one side.

For a branded bike at this price I can't complain but the Giant TCR is beckoning!!!

Good entry level bike for racing or all round fitness. I still have doubts about longevity of alloy frames - remember the Comet.

Purchased At:   fat birds don't fly

Similar Products Used:   Ribble 653 racer

105 double groupset
look pedals
ITM stem, post
Rolls saddle (now).
Mavic CXP 33 rims with butted spokes on 105 hubs now but bought with Bianchi by FIR rims with plain guage spokes on 105 hubs.

Submitted by Stephen Colbert a Recreational Rider from Clovis, CA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2001

Strengths:    reasonably light aluminum frame
Bianchi carbon fork takes away some of the road noise
very responsive in turns and stable at speed
great fit (for me)
climbs well (and has a triple for when I don't)
celeste!
Good shifting accuracy with 105 components. Rear was accurate and fast from day one. Front took some time to get right.

Weaknesses:    Seat
Pedals

Bottom Line:
2500 miles and still as happy now as when I bought it. I tested several bikes with triples in the 1000 - 1500 price range and new it was going to be the Giro as soon as I rode it. Excellent handling, light weight, good components, and it fit me. All that at a price my wife couldn't complain about. What a deal.

The only problem I've had was buzzing right shifter lever. A small piece of doublesided tape where the up and down shifter levers touched took care of that. Had my old Richey saddle on it but the leather has about had it. Put the stock saddle back on and plan to replace it soon.

I'd think this would be a good entry level racer bike if the triple were swapped out, but I've never been a racer so what do I know. I'd certainly recommend that recreational riders who enjoy climbing and long distance riding check it out.

Favorite Ride:   the hills

Similar Products Used:   Tested Cannondale, Lemond, Raleigh, Specialized road bikes in same price range. Couldn't find a Schwinn, so didn't compare.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Speedplay pedals and Conti GP3000 tires.

Submitted by keith moreland a Recreational Rider from lake elsinore,ca. usa.

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2000

Strengths:    lotta bang for the buck. got a great price because i bought one for my wife at the same time. they were allready on sale for $879 (normally $1349) but since i bought two they discounted it more. bike is stable, has carbon forks, easton aluminum tube frame, and shimano 105

Weaknesses:    threaded headset, terible seat.atb pedals.

Bottom Line:
great bike for what i paid. i'm very happy. it weighs 21.4 pounds on scale at l.b.s. rides nice with the carbon fork. climbs well enough (some b.b. sway)for my weight (180 on 57 cm frame). i did a crit on it and it hung in there. my local ride includes a fairly steep descent where i've hit 45mph and the bike was very stable. these bikes are still on sale at supergo and this is a hard deal to beat for a great name.

Favorite Ride:   anywher smooth with as little cars as possible

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   specialized allez.

Bike Setup:   terry fly ti seat, ultegra double crank and b.b. spinergy spox wheelset.