Bianchi 1999 Veloce Older Road Bike

4.17/5 (12 Reviews)

1999 Bianchi Veloce, road race & triathlon, Campagnolo Veloce components, Bianchi fork

Submitted by Monte Madsen a Recreational Rider from Spokane WA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Strengths:    Good geometry, Good gruppo

Weaknesses:    I broke two seperate frames, the first was a lugged Veloce, that broke the lug at the bottom bracket, and at the seat cluster. The second was a warranty, which is an expensive journey in itself, tig welded steel 2000 bike with carbon fork. They both rode nice, but obviously the quality was for crap on both models.

Bottom Line:
I had to do a warranty switch on 2 separate Veloce's, the first was a lugged frame, the second, a tig welded. I told the Warranty manager at Bianchi USA, "I can't afford to ride your quality Italian frames for much longer".
Poor quality frames.

Favorite Ride:   Mount Spokane

Purchased At:   Bike Butler

Similar Products Used:   colnago, trek.

Bike Setup:   Standard with Veloce, FIR rims, Vredestein's Look pedals

Submitted by Phil Macalena a Recreational Rider from Scottsdale, Arizona USA

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2000

Strengths:    Very forgiving ride with a quality steel frame (even if a bit heavy). Veloce group has been virtually trouble-free. The shifting is precise and requires very little adjustment. Regular tune-ups and annual overhauls have been kept up but really have just been a formality.
This has been my first experience with ergo shifting- having come from the old-school downtube shifter generation. I have nothing but praise for the Campagnolo system. I especially love the feel of the Veloce shifters, which are designed to mate perfectly with the shifting finger. A great detail that makes the ride and performance just that much more enjoyable. The 9-speed (12-23) group offers ample variaton in gearing choice with only 2 duplications (39x14/53x19 and 39x17/53x17). The gears are closely-spaced (12/13/14/15/16/17/19/21/23) providing smoother fine-tuning in your cadence with no awkward gaps. The ride is comfortable on long rides; as usual, fit is important. The frame does a good job of soaking up most road irregularities and the carbon fork is an added bonus in that department- at least it was a happy new experience for me. The frame is solid and strong, especially considering that I'm rather large for a cyclist-- 6ft 1in/220lbs. It stands up to my weight even on standing climbs.

Weaknesses:    The only problem I've had with this bike wasn't even a flaw with the bike itself but a result of Phoenix's less-than-ideal roads. The fork and headset had become jammed after about a year of commuting and pounding. The shop replaced the fork and installed a threadless headset and there have been no problems since. The headset and stem are much easier to adjust now as a result. Other than that, the only thing would be that the bike is a little heavy for a semi-high end machine, but it's not that big an issue for me.

Bottom Line:
I would highly recommend this bike to anyone who rides a lot. It may not be ideal for racing (but that shouldn't stop you, either) but for the average sport/fast recreational rider this bike gives great value for the money. It is very comfortable, durable and offers a solid and stable ride. Save up and switch to the Chorus group if weight is an issue, but it shouldn't be. The paint and finish look great. I really like this bike. I commute daily on it, as I don't own a car. It has been very reliable on both my commutes (110+ mile, weekly) and on weekend training rides here in the Arizona desert. Once again-comfortable best describes this machine. If you are looking for a quality bike without having to max out your credit card, you can't go wrong here. Buy it.

Favorite Ride:   Paradise Valley/Cave Creek/Pinnacle Peak loop

Purchased At:   Airpark Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   86 Panasonic (!) DX-3000

Bike Setup:   Profile threadless stem and carbon fork. FSR headset. Time sport pedals (really old!). Mavic CXP-33 rims-very strong. Selle Italia tri-matic saddle, in Celeste of course. Michelin Axial Performance tires-long lasting and roll fairly well.

Submitted by mike vaught a Recreational Rider from northeast, texas

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2000

Strengths:    good solid no-nonsense frame, pump-peg, no frills just basic bike

Weaknesses:    veloce components are everybit as nice as chorus in function but hey weigh quite a bit more...also steel frame is heavy for some although i don't mind the weight

Bottom Line:
although this is not my only (or most expensive) bike it is the one i ride the most. it doesn't corner as well as my colnago but after 100 miles my butt feels better on this bike...it is not outstanding (except for paint) but just a good rock solid bike...i'm certain it is just a mass produced italian frame and could be made by a number of manufactors but as eqipped with campagnolo veloce components and look pedals this bike is ready for centuries local time trials 20 mile hammerfests or casual touring.

Purchased At:   richardson bikemart, texas

Similar Products Used:   trek 470 steel bike
colnago superissimo steel

Bike Setup:   55cm c-t 55.5 tt 172.5 cranks 44cm ttt bars veloce components w/ fir semi-aero wheels

Submitted by Randy Wintz a Recreational Rider from Tucson, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2000

Strengths:    Price, Campagnolo, Steel frame, Looks (went with the red and yellow vs. the Bianchi Celeste). Very confortable ride.

Weaknesses:    Hard seat, (got used to it). Rear Derailleur was a little fussy, did not want to go into the small cog (when I really, really, needed it to). I was able to shim with a washer between frame and Derailleur. (limit screw was maxed out). This probably could have been a minor tune-up fix by a mechanic. I had bad luck with the Vitoria tires so I replaced with Continental 2000's.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Traditional steel frame is very nice on longer rides (65-70 miles for me). I like the Campagnolo shifting, though it does take some getting use to in your hand/thumb strength. Nice not having any shifter cables in front of you, too. (Not that I have anything against that fishing reel company). Campy Freehubs make a very distinctive loud clicking sound when free wheeling. I like to think this is to remind one to get back to work. Saddle is very hard, OK if you want that direct feal with the road. Had bad luck with Vitoria tires that came with bike, only thing I have replaced. Rear derailleur was sometimes a little testy when I first got the bike, but I finally got it dialed in. All problems were really minor, and I would highly recomend this bike to anyone looking for a traditional steel road machine.

Favorite Ride:   Oracle, Vail

Purchased At:   Full Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Looked at Lemond Buenos Aires, did not like the Rolf wheels or the paint job. Have been riding an '84 Nishiki Custom Sport.

Bike Setup:   61CM frame. Bianchi carbon-fiber fork. Capagnolo Veloce/Daytona group. Mavic CXP21 Rims. Selle Itallia saddle.

Submitted by Gary a Recreational Rider from Kingwood Texas

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2000

Strengths:    Nice frame,light steel, forgiving on rough roads. The bike came with rims by FIR instead of Mavic cxp21. They have taken a beating from road debris and potholes, but are still as true as they we're brand new. No problems with spoke tension on these rims. Celeste paint job is very nice.

Weaknesses:    Shifting from big to small in the rear can be a little clunky at times, small to big, no problem. My bike is a 61cm and it is a lttle heavy, a shade under 23lbs, but what the heck, there aren't any hills around here. Plan to get rid of the Wellgo pedals that come with the bike, they stink. I replaced them with Look pp247--MAJOR IMPROVEMENT--

Bottom Line:
This is a very nice bicycle for someone who is very much into road biking, but not a racer. I'm sure a racer would like something a little bit lighter. I have put 1500 miles on it in the last year and have no complaints. The frame soaks up the bumps and the Veloce parts get the job done and are reliable. Excellent bike for under $1500.00.

Favorite Ride:   Out and around Lake Houston area

Purchased At:   Boone's Cycle's

Similar Products Used:   An older '87 Bianchi Super Leggera with Campy Chorus.

Bike Setup:   As is from Bianchi. Bike came with FIR aero rims instead of the Mavic cxp-21. All Veloce equipped. Bianchi carbon fork.

1998/1999 Bianchi Veloce

Hey, I have a 98/99 Bianchi Veloce and the wheelset is not in great condition and the front wheel is bent. I am looking to buy a new wheelset but would rather not put too much money into a pair of wheels for this bike, as I'm looking at buying a new one. Even if I buy a new bike I would still l ... Read More »