Bianchi 2000 Campione Older Road Bike

4.78/5 (9 Reviews)

road race & triathlon, Campagnolo Mirage components, Bianchi fork

Submitted by Dan W. a Recreational Rider from Wheat Ridge, CO USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2001

Strengths:    None

Bottom Line:
this is an addendum to my review below. i recently got some mavic heliums with michelin axial pro tires and salsa skewers. it is true what they say - a wheelset is the best upgrade you can make. i probably will swap the axials for some vredestein fortezzas as soon as they wear out, which will be soon i fear.

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   heliums w/axial pros

Submitted by Daniel White a Recreational Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2000

Strengths:    heritage, nice components - i really like the hubs

Weaknesses:    a little chunky, but not bad for one kilodollar. weight can be shaved in the wheels, fork

Bottom Line:
one word: smooth. i feel that with a few select enhancements, this will be a very serviceable ride. I want to put some campy ($) wheels on it and ditch the stock mavics and maybe do a carbon fork, but this is down the road (so to speak). i will ride it stock for a season. This bike is for newbie roadies like me who are looking for a first bike that does not suck. i will take this bike on all types of rides: quick 10 mile trips, training, hill sprints and climbs, and hopefully (!) a century later this spring/summer.

i decided on this bike instead of others in its class for a few reasons. it came recommended from friends who are bicycle mechanics. i like the bianchi name and the fact that the campione is specced with campy parts. i like the color. most important to me was the double crank. all of these things contribute to a traditional italian road machine which is what i was looking for. i ride mtn extensively and am fairly strong. i felt i would be spoiled if i had a third ring on my road bike, so i decided against that immediately. i do not even want to be tempted to capitulate when climbing and run to the refuge of a third ring. i realize that this is a personal mental decision, but if you really want a true road bike, you cannot ride a triple. watch the tour or giro this year. see many (any) triples? enjoy. unless you are at work or it is snowing, leave your computer and go ride.

Purchased At:   the bike station

Similar Products Used:   first road bike

Bike Setup:   stock at this point (except for a pair of choice stainless cages ! 43g ea. oh yes)

Submitted by Doug from Idaho

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2000

Strengths:    Campy components, steel frame.

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side.

Bottom Line:
$1100 new, got one on Ebay for $478 after shipping.
This bike was a great deal, I am switching back to road after I realized my mountain bike saw more road than dirt miles. I bought it to train on until I can buy a new road bike. Probably not quite race worthy with the components and weight, but it will do for beginning multi-sport stuff. I'm a runner and will start doing duathalons in the spring.
I'm 6'3" with long legs, so I had to get a longer seatpost and a stem with a 10 degree rise to make the bike fit me well. Very much worth the 150 bucks I spent.
The bike handles very smoothly, feels stable on fast descents. Kinda heavy at almost 23lbs on a 59cm frame. I don't know what the wheelset weighs, but I think you could shave a pound with a set of Cosmos for 300 bills. I could also just put in some more miles and shave a pound off my ass!
My take on the Campy vs Shimano debate: The STI shifters rattle too much for me. I think the Campy just feels more solid because the entire brake doesn't move. I also like the fact that Campy's front derailleurs can be trimmed slightly in both directions so more of the rear cassette can be used on both chainrings.
Apparently a lot of bike manufacturers don't feel this way, because Campy setups are a rarity on US bikes.
Overall, I love this bike and feel I got a great deal on it. I'll keep it even after I get a new race bike for use as a commuter. Besides, Italian steel is so cool even the snob bike shops that sell $5,000 rides still like it.

Favorite Ride:   paved, I'd rather run on trails

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Old Peugeot road bike, test rode many bikes - Lemond Alpe d'Huez and Chambery, Trek carbon and aluminum, Cannondale R800, Specialized Allez, Colnago Altain, Raleigh 800, Jamis Eclipse.

Bike Setup:   '96 (I think), Dedacciai zero tre fully lugged steel frame. All Campy Mirage 8sp except for Veloce front der, Campy Mexico wheelset, Salsa stem and seatpost, Selle Italia Flite Gel saddle, Look pedals.

Submitted by Warren a Recreational Rider from IA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2000

Strengths:    Italian design and components. Well matched components

Weaknesses:    Yes. Seat is hard on your butt at first. I was in pain for the first three weeks.

Bottom Line:
I'm a 47 year old man who hadn't been on a road bike in 16 years. Became a marathon runner. Decided to get back on the bike to cross train. I looked at the aluminum bikes, the carbon bikes and wasn't impressed by the ride or the price. I always wanted an Italian bike and as soon as I got on this bike, I was hooked. The geometry is perfect for smaller people like me (5'7" and 140 lbs). Once the Campy components broke in at about 100 miles, everything became smooth and effortless. For people like me, enthusiasts who want to spend quality time on the roads and have fun with a classic bike, this is a perfect decision. By the way, the people at Scheels are top notch; the sales people and the mechanics are all enthusiasts without being snobby, which was my experience in the "road racer" stores that I went to.

Favorite Ride:   any smooth road

Purchased At:   Scheels Iowa City, IA

Similar Products Used:   Trek. 1993 re-built DeRosa with Dura Ace.

Bike Setup:   Completely stock.

Submitted by Matt a Recreational Rider from La Grange Park, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2000

Strengths:    Bianchi and Campagnolo names mean alot. Steel frame is comfortable. Came with Look pedals.

Weaknesses:    Had to have back wheel rebuilt at 250 miles. Back tire had to be replaced at 1350 miles. Kind of heavy. Seats hard but I am used to it for now. Front derailure needs occasional adjustment.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a blast to ride. I have gone on some pretty bumpy roads and the bike seems comfortable and holds up fairly well to the beating, except for the back wheel rebuild. I wish the bike was a little lighter but I might upgrade to a carbon fork to help that cause.

This bike is great for somebody wanting to get into road riding/racing and don't want to break the bank. Remember there is more to a bike than its weight.

Favorite Ride:   All

Purchased At:   Blazing Saddles

Similar Products Used:   Went from mid 1980's Fuji Supreme touring bike to a modern road bike. Still use Fuji as a commuter.

Bike Setup:   No changes so far.