Bianchi 2000 Eros Donna Older Road Bike

road race & triathlon, Campagnolo Mirage Triple components, Bianchi fork

Submitted by Laurel a Triathlete from Berkeley, California

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2001

Strengths:    This is a comfortable, smooth bike that fits very well. I am just getting into the sport and this bike has been very easy to learn on, but also lets me go fast when I am feeling gutsy.

Weaknesses:    Shifting, as mentioned above.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been great for learning on, but I am also getting ready to start racing it. I am always thrilled to get out on this bike because it feels like it was made for me (and others my size), it is comfortable, fast and also, very good looking.

Purchased At:   Village Pedaler

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   As mentioned above

Submitted by Michelle G. a Recreational Rider from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2001

Strengths:    Perfect fit! I am 5 ft. 3½ inches tall, and this bike knows it. The frame, the handle bars, shift gears, etc. all of it: this feels like a tailor made product just for my size. And it has a Beautiful, smooth & FAST ride.

Weaknesses:    Shifting should be easier. I don't even take it to the 9 lowest gears because I have to shift 2-3 times for them to take, or/also I run the risk of getting off my chain.

Bottom Line:
Terrifit Value. Beautiful smooth, fast ride. This bike can fly. Color: 'praise the lord' the Eros Donna come in a beautiful deep violet blue, with only the smallest Celeste green accents. Everything can be up-graded, but if I spend the money doing that, I will probably just get a racing bike. This bike is good to go just as it is! I do wish it would shift smoother. Maybe a solution here would be to drop off the lowest 9 gears all together (don't use them anyway). Practically a real racing bike for someone who wants to break into racing, or for the Recreational Rider who wants to feel like they are racing everytime they ride to the park!

Favorite Ride:   Fox River Valley Trail

Purchased At:   Oak Park Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   I'm not much help here (I can't even remember all the bikes I've tried). I've been looking at bikes for 5-7 years (boyfriend was in the Road Cycling circuit) with no luck. I've looked at Cannondales, Treks, Raleighs (road only),& Lemonds.

Bike Setup:   'Chromo-Lite' chrome-moly steel, chrome-moly steel fork. All Campy components, 27 speed Mirage setup. Downsized Modolo Venus handlebar. Mavic cxp21 wheels, Vittoria competition/Roma 25 Kevlar tires.

Submitted by Sharon a Recreational Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2000

Strengths:    Perfect size for me (the Donna only comes in one size--46cm). The ride is smooth and very fast, especially for steel.

Weaknesses:    Shifting on front derailluer is extremely clunky. For $1000, it should shift like butter. Sometimes the chain falls off when shifting either up or down from center chainring. LBS says it's me, but I'm not convinced. I KNOW how to shift.

Bottom Line:
I'm 61.5 inches in height, but with proportionately long legs--finding a bike that fit was difficult and became my grail! The 46cm Veloce stretched me out a bit too much, but for the Eros Donna, Bianchi has tweaked the geometry enough that it really fits. I still have neck and shoulder pain when I ride, but will adjust seat and handlebar over time. After testing several aluminum bikes, I had to come back to the smooth, supple feel of steel. The ride is beautiful, but the shifting up front sucks. Otherwise, I fly on this bike. I think 11 Bianchi decals on the bike is excessive, but celeste details over sparkly royal blue paint=sharp! Everything on this bike's drivetrain can be upgraded and interchanged with better Campy components. The bike is versatile and performs well as a recreational ride, but is well-prepared for touring or triathlon racing.

Favorite Ride:   1800 miles away in Warwick, NY

Purchased At:   Turin Bicycles Denver

Similar Products Used:   This replaced a 14-year-old Schwinn Worldsport. Tested Bianchi Veloce, Trek 2200 WSD, Novara Carema,
Giant OCR2, Terry Symmetry.

Bike Setup:   TIG-welded Chromo-Lite double-butted chrome-moly steel, chrome-moly steel fork. 100% Campy, 27 speed Mirage setup. 165 mm cranks (yes!), downsized Modolo Venus handlebar. Mavic cxp21 wheels, Vittoria competition/Roma 25 Kevlar tires. Swapped very painful Italian saddle for Serfas Rx deep-groove saddle. Swapped Look pedals for non-clipless, handlebar stem for shortest one they had at the shop.