Bianchi 2000 Giro Older Road Bike

4.4/5 (15 Reviews)

road race & triathlon, Shimano 105 Triple components, Bianchi carbon fork

Submitted by ReallyARower a Triathlete from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2002

Strengths:    Fast pickup and acceleration, light weight, nice color, quality craftsmanship, rigid power application, good components, great value.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes the shifting is not smooth. Selle San Marco seat is a little hard.

Bottom Line:
After test riding several bikes, this one stood out: it handles well, accelerates and picks up quickly, climbs well, looks good. With the Giro in particular I felt like every bit of power I put into the pedals created speed. It's rigid, but well made, with a carbon fork, thus dampening a lot of the road shock. It's my first road bike, and I plan on using it to cross-train with, and eventually do some triathalons and maybe bike races. The bike is light, and rides smooth. Slight problems with shifting; usually no big deal, but I have only been riding for a month, and should get it tuned. Seat was uncomfortable at first, but it's gotten a lot better. Bottom line: the Giro fit my needs and my budget perfectly. I love this bike and always look forward to my next ride.

Favorite Ride:   Smooth rolling terrain, passing other bikers

Purchased At:   International Bike C

Similar Products Used:   Test-rode: Lemond Tourmalet, Nevada City, and Alpe D'Huez; Bianchi Veloce, and Imola; Specialized Allez A1 Sport; Trek 1000, 1200, Hilo 1000.

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105, Rolf Wheels, Look pedals, Bianchi carbon fork.

Submitted by Scott Chambers a Road Racer from Grand Rapids, Mi

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Strengths:    Bargain Road ride with proven Bianchi geometry

Weaknesses:    stiff ride

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike from through a web site and was able to choose my frame and component group. If I'd bought it through a shop I'd have payed 1400 bucks for a 105 group. Instead I got an amazing deal (1100) on last year's frame and Daytona gruppo. This bike cost me half of what a new Bianchi Daytona would have. The great thing is that I got a full campy bike with a very similar frame and ride as the 2000 Daytona frame. I feel like I stole this thing!

It's amazing. The ride is crisp and the bike responds instantly when I stand to sprint. It weighs just under 20 pounds and feels even lighter on long climbs. My only complaint is that I got the bike with a threaded carbon fork and headset/stem. The stem supplied on the Giro is cheap and flexes too much. I use the widest Salsa bar I could get, which really exagerates the flex in the stem. At the end of the year I'm buying a better carbon fork and going threadless. The Shark Ti Rail saddle is a little painful after long rides. I'd have preferred a Trans Am saddle, but the deal was so good I couldn't complain. The frame has been issue free and all the Daytona componantes are amazing. The Ergo shifts like butter, and after thousands of miles I've only had to adjust my break and derailer cables once! Many of the riders on my team ride Ultegra componants which rattle don't seem to function as smoothly as mine.

I'd suggest this frame to anyone, but I'd never buy it with the cheap shimano stuff that Bianchi sells on it.

Favorite Ride:   North Country Trail

Purchased At:   GVH Bicycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale R100

Bike Setup:   59cm, Mavic Open Pro 32hole rims, Full Campy Daytona Gruppo (cranks, derailers, hubs, 9spd ergo shifters, chain, etc., Sella Italia Shark Ti Rail saddle, Salsa '46' bar, Conti Ultra 2000 tires.

Submitted by F a Road Racer from Annapolis, MD

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2001

Strengths:    Light, fast, excellent paint/color, smooth shifts.

Weaknesses:    wheels come out of true easily, but I haven't had any problems with it

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike that I have truely enjoyed. I have had no problems with it and would highly recommend it to anyone starting out in racing. It is my fist road bike since I was about 12, and it has served me well. I got an excellent deal on it and, like I said, is great for a first bike. Mechanically it has been flawless, which is great for someone starting out. I have raced with it and trained with it and it has been great to ride.

It's a great buy.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Stock: Shimano 105, triple crank

Submitted by Toby a Recreational Rider from Knoxville, Tennessee

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2001

Strengths:    Light, stiff. Great color.

Weaknesses:    Shimano 105 front shifting is impossible to adjust perfectly. The non-ergo handlebars are terrible.

Bottom Line:
For a large tube aluminum bike, the Giro is quite comfortable. I rode a metric century on it with no comfort problems, except from the horrible stock handlebar. The carbon fork absorbs a lot of road shock. The Giro also has all the attributes of a tuned aluminum frame: it's light, stiff, stable, and handles well. The Shimano 105 triple is very difficult to adjust. It seems to rub the front deraileur cage in some gears no matter what you do. I plan to upgrade to an Ultegra double, or maybe a Campy Daytona group, to eliminate this problem. All things considered, this is a very good bike for the money, and it requires only minimal upgrading.

Purchased At:   River Sports Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Paramount steel road bike (mid 80s vintage).

Bike Setup:   Selle Italia Trimatic saddle, Vredstein tires, Ritchey mountain style pedals. Otherwise stock.

Submitted by barr a Commuter from boulder, colorado, usa

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2001

Strengths:    Great bang for the buck

Weaknesses:    Seat sucks, the Look pedals clip broke after 2 weeks,
flats galore (I weigh 240)

Bottom Line:
A great bike for the price, more than equal to 1+ hours/day and 3 t0 4 hrs on the weekends. Similar performance bikes cost %30+ or more

Purchased At:   University Bikes, Boulder