Bianchi 2000 Veloce Triple Older Road Bike

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)

road race & triathlon, Campagnolo Veloce Triple components, Bianchi carbon fork

Submitted by pvb a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2006

Strengths:    Built to last

Bottom Line:
This bike a been a steady performer since I purchased it in 2001. It has aged very well. And, like the previous reviewer, I also find this bike climbs well. This was my first serious bike purchase, and I had assumed I'd be on my third by now, but I have no need.

Favorite Ride:   2000 Veloce Triple

Purchased At:   American Cyclery, SF

Submitted by knute a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2005

Strengths:    Beautiful Celeste Color

Bottom Line:
The Bianchi Veloce is an excellent ride because it's steel. The latest Veloce is now Aluminum (horrible). Everyone knows you can't beat steel, why are they pushing Aluminum on everyone?
Anyhow I am now 51 years young and had returned to cycling about 5 years ago with a Marin Cross Bike, I loved riding so much that I bought a Team Marin mountain bike - that was my main ride until my LBS talked me into trying a road bike, well I finally settled on the Bianchi Veloce knowing only that the Celeste color meant Italian.
Boy was I surprised at how easily the Bianchi leapt up hills, one of the other reviewers claims the Bianchi is a slow climber, I have to disagree (but then what do I know?)
I love my road bike, however, you have to be careful with skinny tires because you can crash if your not watching ahead.
The 53 cm size fits me beautifully, nice and compact and quick.

Favorite Ride:   Elm Creek Park - Minnesota

Purchased At:   Blaine Velo Sports

Submitted by Freewheelers a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2001

Strengths:    Great frame, Campy components, Long ride comfort, Great color.

Weaknesses:    Aside from the long throw on the Veloce front derailleur, there is not much else.

Bottom Line:
This bike handles really well. They did an very comprehensive fitting when I bought it. Because of that, I think I have the most comfortable bike ever. It is not as stiff as aluminum, but it climbs suprisingly well. Sprinting is not as bad as I thought either. I especially love the Campy components. They are incredible. I can't imagine how good Record is when Veloce feels this good. I did switch the wheels to Open Pros with Record hubs (huge difference). All in all it is a great bike for the money.

Favorite Ride:   Mt. Mitchell

Purchased At:   Carolina Cycling Gea

Similar Products Used:   Giant TCR 0 w/ Ultegra and Open pros w/ Dura Ace hubs
Lemond Tourmalet Triple

Bike Setup:   Stock frame and components except for: Thompson Elite seatpost, Open pros w/ Record hubs, Selle Ita

Submitted by Karim Osman from Mountain View, CA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2001

Strengths:    Such a comfortable ride
Campo components

Weaknesses:    A little heavy compared to the Alu bikes out there. Mine checks in at 22 lbs
Seat wasn't all that comfortable

Bottom Line:
I picked up this bike so I could commute to work and get fit. I enjoy riding the bike so much, I've started heading out on weekends for longer rides, tackling some hills, and I am thinking about getting into racing too.
The ride is really plush. It really is a night and day difference compared to the aluminum bikes in the same price category.
Once everything was broken in, the Veloce gruppo has been working great too.
On the other hand, the bike is a fair bit heavier than comparably priced bikes and I can feel the frame flex a little when I am sprinting.
The best thing I can tell you is to go out and go for a test ride, so you can see what it's all about.

Favorite Ride:   Old La Honda (just kidding)

Purchased At:   The Bent Spoke, Berkeley, CA

Similar Products Used:   Giant OCR One / TCR Two
Univega Modo Volare
Cannondale R600

Bike Setup:   53cm Frame stock triple except for Terry Dragonfly Saddle

Submitted by Stumpjumper Bob from Minneapolis

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2001

Strengths:    Bike frame is incredibly responsive, steel. The Italians have really paid attention to the tubing used for this light weight frame.

Weaknesses:    I replaced the OEM saddle with a Schwinn Hollow Point road saddle. I don't want to be called numb nuts!!!!

Bottom Line:
I am 47 years young and took up cycling (4) years ago to control health problems. I started with a Marin Cross Bike (Excellent) then bought a Team Marin Mountain bike (Excellent) I sold the cross bike recently and purchased the Veloce road bike, incredible, not as comfortable as a mountain bike, however, this thing leaps up hills I used to cringe at.
I highly recommend this bike.
Remember Bianchi is the world's oldest bike company and people do recognize the Celeste (green) color
Stump

Favorite Ride:   Coon Rapids Dam to Elm Creek Park

Similar Products Used:   Marin "San Rafael" Cross bike, Team Marin mountain bike.

Bike Setup:   27 speed Veloce campagnolo components. 53cm frame, celeste color