Colnago CT1 Older Road Bike

4.44/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by Mike Prior

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2013

Strengths:    Light, well balanced, and everlasting titanium frame

Weaknesses:    Not many that I have found

Bottom Line:
I aspired to a Colnago for many years and bought this bike as a 60th birthday present to myself. It has been my pride and joy for the past 6 years. I was since convinced to try carbon and so bought a Specialized carbon frame last year and have been so impressed I have recently upgraded to another Specialised Endurance frame. But I cannot ignore or forget the Colnago CT1 which is taken out every third ride and even as an older bike still compares very favourably with the newer carbon frames for a comfortable and positive ride. I cannot forget I am a Colnago owner and proud to be so.

Submitted by gordy748 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2012

Strengths:    Vibration absorption, light (enough) and responsive, cornering

Weaknesses:    Art decor paint scheme is fragile.

Bottom Line:
My third Colnago. when I saw it up for auction on eBay, I couldn't pass it up. I swapped my components off my old bike but upgraded the shifters to Record 11.

Compared to my Kestrel Evoke (with almost identical geometry) the CT1 steers slightly slower, but so much more solidly. You just think your way around corners without worrying about over or understeer. As a climbing/ sprinting machine, it's a joy. I feel the frame is transferring slightly fewer watts through to the tarmac than the old bike, yet it absorbs the road vibration so much better. It's proof that stiffer is not always better.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Kestrel Evoke SL, Kestrel Evoke, Colnago Master, Colnago C-40, Look KG-56, Custom steel

Bike Setup:   Record 11 shifters with Record 10 gear changers and brakes, Chorus cassette. Ritchey WCS stem, Kestrel EMS Pro bars, Campag Record seat post, Specialized Toupe saddle, Vuelta Corsa Lite tubulars for training, Easton EC90 slx for race/ century days.

Submitted by andysykes a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2011

Weaknesses:    MASSIVE DESIGN FLAW
Colnago carbon cracks and they are not interested in finding out why
WATCH OUT
Colango not interested in learning about cause

Bottom Line:
Fine - until the carbon cracks
After 2500 summer miles (only just on its second chain), the drop out corroded, splitting the carbon stay in the process.

Colnago not interested as they say it's outside warranty and they no longer stock any parts.

Seems to be a common design flaw. Watch colnago carbon carefully.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized
Look
CIOCC
Giant

Submitted by peter shearmur a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2005

Strengths:    Balance, solid cornering nuild quality. Also I identify with Ernesto Colnago, he is a smooth operator with high standards.

Weaknesses:    Not many, new price is high, but will last a lifetime. Note my price is pounds sterling not dollars or euros.

Bottom Line:
I bought the CT1 as a European rider whol lives in a hilly part of England and makes forays into th Alps and Pyrenees. I had problems with speed wobble until I bought the CT1. This frame feels as if it has a brain, my older bike a (French Sunn asphalt) was a good bike, but the CT1 is a plush and a fast ride, also I love titanium and carbon mix. My off road bike a Kona Hei Hei is also titanium, lovely material.

Favorite Ride:   Any D route Northen France

Purchased At:   Dauphin Bikes Surrey

Similar Products Used:   Sunn asphalt, good sprinter, fine on the level but nervous downhill.

Bike Setup:   Campag chainrings (front mech to you in the USA, and Shimano for the rest. Wheels French Mavic open pro, saddle selle italis transam.

Submitted by redraiderpt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2003

Strengths:    weight, ride, climbing, finish

Weaknesses:    total cost

Bottom Line:
I purchased all of the parts separately and had the bike assembled myself. Going from old 80's Centurian Accordo RS to this bike was like going from a Yugo to a Porsche. You can really feel it on the climbs, were it is easy to accelerate and gain time on your fellow riders. I cut 30 minutes from my century ride time this year. It rides smooth and handles great.

Favorite Ride:   America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace, Easton carbon bar and seatpost, Chris King HS, American Classic 420 wheelset, Continental Attack/Force tires, Thomson Stem

How much difference between CT1 and C40?

Hi, I picked up a used CT1 last fall locally and have been enjoying it very much. There is a C40 currently on Ebay that would probably give me a better fit. Would I feel much difference in comfort/performance between the 2 bikes? Also, a little nervous about buying a used CF bike.... Than ... Read More »

CT1 & Tecnos Geometry differences

Hello. I've tried googling for a geometry chart for a CT1 without success, so will ask on here. My Tecnos is a 56 c-t (55 c-c) with 55 top tube. My CT1 is 58 C-T (55 c-c) with 55 (maybe 55.5) top tube. Saddle heights are the same, but on the CT1 the saddle is right forward, yet has the saddle po ... Read More »

CT1 geometry chart

Does anybody know where on the web I could fing a geometry chart for an older Colnago? I'm trying to sell a circa 2000 model and somebody is asking me for the precise geometry of the bike. Thank you.Read More »

Colnago CT1 Sizing Chart

could somebody give me Colnago CT1 sizing chart, thks a lot by advanceRead More »

Colnago CT1 prob

I got some problems with my CT1, I don't know if these probs are only cosmetics or more severe, any help will be appreciated :) you will get the pict there: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/28334529@N00/3183693961/sizes/o/[/url] apologies for my awful englishRead More »