Giant 2000 TCR 2 Older Road Bike

4.39/5 (31 Reviews)

road race & triathlon, Shimano 105 components, Giant fork

Submitted by floydg68 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2004

Strengths:    Climbs like a squirrel up a tree
Corners on rails and of course
Very light 17.5LBS in stock trim (med)

Weaknesses:    somewhat twitchy on decents.
stem reach/height takes a while to dial in.

Bottom Line:
This is my second review of the bike. I've had it for four years now and it has been flawless. There have been many great bikes to come along but now has been great enough in terms of value, looks and performance to steal my heart. The main reason I got this bike was parts selection and price. What I got in addition to all that is a bike that climbs like a lizard running up a wall. It just goes! It's a corner carver as well. Some have said it's twitchy on the descents but I blasted down a long downhill in front of everyone I was with recently. Maybe I've just gotten used to it. If that's the case then It's made me a better bike handler as well. Where my TCR has shined though is in the 105 drivetrain. It has needed minimal adjustment, just once a year tune-ups. The drivetrain and brakes are still stock. Over the years I've upgraded everything else. The only drawback is it took me a while to figure out my stem height/reach. Some of that is the sloping top tube. I also had a problem with the seatpost shim they had on the bike. It became seized to my first carbon seatpost abd I ruin my post trying to get it off. It was a real hassle. So I removed the shim and got a larger diameter post which was a boost in weight and stiffness anyway. I guess they added the shim so you could use the more popular 27.2 seatpost size. But it's dialed in now and fits me perfectly. I guess that's why it's so hard to go to another bike. It's like and old pair of jeans broken in just right. The new TCR's are still a great value and from what I hear they still perform. So if your willing to deal with dialing the stem fit things you'll get a bike that will make you happy for a long time!

Favorite Ride:   Schyukill River Trail

Purchased At:   BikeTek-Pittsburgh

Similar Products Used:   Centurion LeMans, Miyatas, Cannondales, Litespeed Catalyst (great bike)

Bike Setup:   Full Shimano 105
Ritchey Biomax Bar
Ritchey WCS Stem 120mm
Easton EC70 seatpost 31.8
Selle Italia Prolink Gel saddle
Time Impact S pedals

Submitted by jdanie5 a Road Racer from Atlanta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2003

Strengths:    Crazy light. 105 can perform. Corners well. So attractive, so very very attractive. The compact geometry works well for us light-types who stand often.

Weaknesses:    No stiffness to it. Hard to bring yourself to get rid of the (very sexy) fork. If you don't climb often, then don't buy this.

Bottom Line:
Why does everyone love this bike so much? How can anyone possibly say that this bike is stiff? I am 6' and 140, so I'm obviously not too powerful of a rider, but I feel lots of flex in this bike when I pedal hard. It also creeks when I ride hard, and I can't figure out how to fix that or where the creek is coming from. I'm afraid the noise may be coming from some structural weakness, but again, I just don't know. Now, there are lots of good things about this bike. It's pretty good in corners, though it's also not too good on the descents. The paint job is so sexy. The fork isn't very good (not stiff at all), but it just looks so good with the bike that I can't bring myself to replace it. The bike is relatively cheap, though there are better deals. Just realize that you are mainly paying for the weight. Even though I'm a weight weenie, I would still prefer the bike to be a little heavier for some added stiffness.

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   added a little ultegra and some sestriere's.

Submitted by Lance Gouws a Recreational Rider from East London, South Africa

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2001

Strengths:    Went to great lenghs tomake sure I bought the correct size. I am 1.68m ( 5foot 7) with 780 cm inseam. For some reason I always thought I was a size 54 frame but research and a good bike shop made me realise I am a 50 cm frame. This placed me squarely in the middle of the small frame size. Else where there is a review from someone of a similar size to me who bought a medium and then complains about the fit- check it out first, swallow your pride and buy the correct frame for you. I have never been so cofortable or enjoyed a bike more.It is stiff and responsive, climbs fantasticly well and is a pleausure to do long rides on.

Weaknesses:    On the small frame there isn't enough space for the 2nd water bottle cage. The bottle rests directly on the frame.

Bottom Line:
got a discount price on 2000 model, same as 2001 but different graphics. Added flighdeck and look pedals. Paid R9700 about $800 plus extras

Favorite Ride:   any and all

Purchased At:   cyclelab

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Panasonic

Submitted by lldesigns a Road Racer from Woodbury, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2001

Strengths:    Extremly Stiff, Strong Design, Awsome fork and seat post. I actually purchased an additional seatpost for my track frame that's how impressed I was with the seatpost.

Weaknesses:    Paint Job. Easily chips. I have the 2001 model which I had problems with the seatpost shim. Although there is a direction that the shim must face. I had to face it the opposite direction to stop the seatpost from moving down while riding the bike. I sent away for a new shim and saw that Giant changed the design. It know works without any issues. There was also a call back on the fork in the begining of the year. However, when I purchased my bike the fork was already replaced. The 2002 model changed the seatpost bolts. There are now two bolts intergrated to the frame.

Bottom Line:
Stiff Bike. I was impressed with the ride and stiffness. However, the explosive response blew my mind. Awsome fork. For the price of the bike it is a great deal. I use the bike for mainly trainning,commuting to work, a few road races, and crit's during the year. However, I have entered a coupe of races at the end of this season and did very well concidering a ride competitively on the Track all season long. You might think that the Giant is a small bike. But I am 6'3" and have no problems. Feel free to email me on any questions that you might have.

Favorite Ride:   Giant TCR 2

Purchased At:   Local Bikeshop (I w

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale. I really beleive that the Giant is a better frame. I am very comfortable.

Bike Setup:   105 Flight deck, Cinelli Grove and Altra bars. Intergrated Cane Creek headset. Carbon Giant Seat-

Submitted by Offrhodes a Road Racer from Manchester, NH

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2001

Strengths:    This thing is light, strong, and really quick. Very inexpensive (I got frame, headset, fork, and seatpost for under $650). Climbs and fast cornering are a blast on this thing.

Weaknesses:    I was without it for 2 weeks when the forks got recalled. Luckily my twin brother let me use his winter bike (a Litespeed Arenberg)

Bottom Line:
I bought this frameset and built it up with the parts from my Aegis Aro Svelte (I will get another one of these someday). This bike just seems fast when you are riding it. The carbon post and fork make for a smooth ride. The best thing about this bike is that it is so inexpensive for a racing bike. If for some reason it were to get killed in a crash I could easily go out and buy a replacement. Not so easily done with other racing bikes. I think it rides better than the Litespeed I road when the fork was being recalled. I would suggest this bike to anyone looking to buy a light, fast, racing bike. And just remember that is is 1/3 the cost of similar spec'ed bikes. I would buy another one if I had too. Make sure you get sized properly when buying this bike since it is not like other companies.

Favorite Ride:   anything will do

Purchased At:   Two Wheel Tango

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale 3.0, Aegis Aro Svelte (loved this bike), and Litespeed Arenberg.

Bike Setup:   Size small TCR frame w/8spd Ultegra (it works, why go 9 yet), ITM Big One stem and pro 260 bars. Flite Ti seat. Time Pedals. Too many wheelsets too switch between.