Giant 2001 TCR 0 Older Road Bike

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by FrankM a Road Racer from Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2003

Strengths:    Light, good pick-up, great looks.

Weaknesses:    The frame is anodized, not painted. There is not clear coat so the decals are subject to pealing off. Other than that, no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
I previous had a Giant OCR-2 which was stolen. I bought a 2001 TCR-0 Frame/Fork for $749 CDN and a used Dura-Ace 8 Speed Group for $300.00. I had a set of Mavic CXP-21 wheels, a Carbon Seat Post, a Selle Octavia Saddle, ITM 225 handlebars, a set of Look PP337 pedals and ta-da a bike. This bike is great. It's fast and light (although once I get better wheels it will be lighter.) The bike weighs about 18 pounds (without pedals) and should be 16.5 to 17 once the wheels are changed.

Favorite Ride:   The Richmond Loop or Deep Cove

Purchased At:   BSP

Similar Products Used:   OCR-2 with custom wheels, etc.

Bike Setup:   2001 TCR-Zero frame
Look PP337 Pedals
Dura-Ace 12-21 8 Speed Cassette

Submitted by REPO42 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight design. Dura ace components. Climbs like a scared mountain goat. very responsive...

Weaknesses:    I think this applies to every bike made... The bike manufactures have a great idea, build it, but then don't spend any extra time correcting flaws. Frame stickers suuuuccckkkk. Peel off like old tape... And the headset design...I think that was "bring your child to work day" because whoever came up with the integrated headset idea is a dork... great concept, not well planned between bike maker and headset manufacture.

Bottom Line:
Me like! This is a great mass produced frame. Yeah it's not flawless due to not being hand crafted, but unless you grab the microscope you will never know the difference. Lightweight frame, dura ace components make it a joy to ride. Carbon fiber fork and seat would be equal to gas shocks on a car. Long rides don't beat you up... Would definately recommend this if you can get it slightly used...like I did. saved a pretty penny

Favorite Ride:   Rocky Hill

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn(columbus tubing) Bianchi(SLX)

Bike Setup:   everything stock except wheel are dura ace hubs with mavic open pros(silver)

Submitted by Bill a Recreational Rider from Iowa

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2002

Strengths:    Above

Bottom Line:
I'm no racer but wanted to have something light and fast. I inverted the handlebar stem so that the handlebars would be higher and switched out the seatpost for a RockShock Road seat post; also switched the pedals from Dura Ace to Time Atak, and put in a split seat to avoid that pudendal nerve problem that cyclists are prone to. Fork was replaced by Giant. Added aerobars.

With these modifications it's incredibly fast, quick, maneuverable and comfortable. Even someone as amateurish as I am can make this thing fly.

Purchased At:   Bike-n-hike, Moline

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   As above

Submitted by mfez48 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Difficult to get dialed in size-wise.

Bottom Line:
I have always ridden steel frames, and wanted to buy an aluminum compact. I picked this because it was so reasonable. I love the bike. Climbing feels like you are on a cloud, it's comfortable (anyone remember Vitus bikes)and super light. The bike is a little twitchy, which takes some getting used to. I have also experienced some creaks from the front; I am not sure what that is. All the snobs out there will pay 1,500 to 2,000 for an Italian compact frame alone, with no difference. Giant invented the compact frame, and has refined it.

Favorite Ride:   Lancaster county

Purchased At:   buybelowcost.com

Similar Products Used:   Bottecchia, Williams

Bike Setup:   D/A, Ksryium. The bike came without wheels, so I threw my Ks on it

Submitted by Garfield a Recreational Rider from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2002

Strengths:    Light, light, light
Shimano Dura Ace - can't beat it
Climbs like nothing else
Makes me look faster them I really am.

Weaknesses:    Decals - very minor weakness
Makes me want to ride faster then I really can

Bottom Line:
What a great bike for the money (yes I got a really good deal for an end of season sale) This bike is not far off what they ride in the Tour de France. My previous bike was a Giant OCR 2 and I liked the compact geometry right from the start. The light weight combined with the Mavic K's makes this bike a joy to ride up hills, I find myself looking for climbs. I get a lot of looks at the club rides, even from the die hard Italian bike owners. No one can believe how light this bike really is for a stock machine. The componentry is excellent, I haven't had a problem in the first 1000km. My only real complaint (and it a very minor one) is that the decals appear to be very cheap and have started to wrinkle. For this level of bike, that is unacceptable. Because of this bike, I have decided to start racing this year, I feel I owe it to the bike.

Price Paid:    $2000.00