Kestrel 200 SCi Older Road Bike

• 3.2lbs - 56cm frame only

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by phil

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2014

Strengths:    stiffness, looks, pedigree.& the straight top tube which is different these days !
    Top of the game when 1st produced in my opinion, Still holds it today, not many around ,so got that head turning capability still.

Weaknesses:    Paint , thats about it really, does chip & goes dull a bit too easily !
    (see below re possible 'should I re-paint' her ) appreciate the opinions on that

Bottom Line:
    I'd read all these comments & saw one for sale ... so with the see-one-buy-it in my memory - bought it ! £125.GBP / $180 ish
    PLUS >>>> Anyone think I've committed a criminal act in fitting mine with Campag kit? - build it from frame up ,so always (nearly always ) had Campagnolo, & had all the bits seems to go fine & looks the part , but in the back of my mind ,I'm thinking ~ I'm in the 1% without shimano ?? any thoughts or honest comments welcome.
    One last Q to you all out there ... If I repaint this same as factory colours ,& even with proper decals back on
    it , who thinks it would be de valued ? or is it a who cares issue ? cheers folks

Submitted by sid a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2012

Strengths:    Believe it or not, I bought this bike for $100 from a friend. I currently have a two Specialized full carbon bikes that cost between $2,500 and $3,000 and I like this bike best. Of course I changed out the components to some used 105's I had hanging around the garage and replaced the fork to replace that questionable headset. Now this bike is so smooth and blows the Specialized bikes away in the corners. IF someone offered me real money for my bike, I would say forget it!

Weaknesses:    Yeah the paint chips... so what... get some touch up from the local auto store!

Bottom Line:
    Love this bike

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Submitted by shopgirlslc a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2011

Strengths:    Light

Bottom Line:
    Extremely light! Durable and comfortable

Favorite Ride:   Kestrel 200SCi

Purchased At:   Classifieds

Submitted by abstractart06 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth ride, dampens road shock. Timeless styling.

Weaknesses:    I had a problem with the rear drop out after a few crashes. The factory eventually replaced the frame for me. No more problems since.

Bottom Line:
    I purchased this bike new in 1989. It was ahead of its time then, and now is still the standard other frames are measured by. Sure there are flashier models out there, but this was the original. It truly rides like a dream and I can vouch for it's durability. This is the design that changed the direction for modern cycling.

Favorite Ride:   Silver Comet Trail Atlanta, GA

Purchased At:   Bike shop in Queens

Bike Setup:   Shimano Ultegra 600 group,Dura Ace pedals, Cane Creek stem, Mavic MA 40 rims, carbon fiber areo seat post, XO saddle, Kestrel EMS carbon fork.

Submitted by Ross Hunsinger a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2007

Strengths:    Sexy, Sexy, Sexy. Competitively lightweight for the price. Unique looking in a field of Madones and other silly bikes. Eats road shock like a gas loaded shock.

Weaknesses:    Not the newest, lightest thing on the market. Paint. Came with a somewhat lame Steering Quill which could be much lighter and have less history of catastrophic failure...

Bottom Line:
    Holy wow, this is a fantastic bike. I spent loads of time researching and testing every new, top of the line carbon road bike out there (Lemond, Trek, Orbea, Fuji, Felt, Giant, KHS, Bianchi, etc.) and when it comes down to it, this bad boy rolls with the best of them.

With full Dura Ace all the way around, there's no question that it's a quality piece of gear. There are drawbacks, but they're so minor (paint, seat tube stop is strange, etc.) that I consider them to be idiosyncrasies (I am a huge Peugeot fan too, so idiosyncrasies are alright by me). If you find one of these, buy it immediately with no questions asked- just be prepared to enjoy yourself immensely.

Favorite Ride:   Descending Columbia Street all the way to the River.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Trek Madone 5.9 SL, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Orca, Lemond Tete' de Course, Litespeed, Bianchi, etc.

Bike Setup:   Full Dura Ace all the way around. Modolo X-tenos quill, Weyless 7075 fully butted T6 alloy oversize bars, Bonty Bzzzkill.

kestrel 200 SCI

Hello everybody, My name is Vafi and I am new here. I started biking several month ago with a Specialized Allez with Tiagra components. My bike was stolen a few weeks ago and I am looking to get a new one off CL. I am now looking at a Kestrel 200 SCI with all Dura Ace (8 speed) components that wa ... Read More »

Kestrel 200 SCi or 200EMS

Anybody know what makes these frames different from each other. Do they ride any different? Late nineties to around 04.Read More »

Kestrel 200 SCI Paint Cracks

I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the paint on older Kestrel 200 SCI frames (or other types of carbon frames) cracking. My frame has 2 cracks on the non-drive side chain stay, two cracks on the junction between the seat stays and the seat tube (one on the top and one on the bot ... Read More »

2001 Kestrel 200 SCI Carbnon

I've been looking at a bunch of bikes to buy, and one possibility is a 2001 Kestrel 200 SCI carbon with a full Ultegra setup. I'm just looking for a some opinions on this particular bike and also wondering if around $700 is a good price? Opinions? Thanks.Read More »