Klein Bicycle Corporation 1999 Quantum Older Road Bike

4.76/5 (25 Reviews)

1999 Klein Quantum, road race & triathlon, Shimano 105 components, ICON Air Rail SRG fork

Submitted by Terry Purdy

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2012

Strengths:    I purchased new a 1987 Klein Performance with all Shimano 600 components including STI shifters. The handling and brakes on the old Klein are better than anything I have ridden in the last few years.

Weaknesses:    I'm the weak link but at 69 I'm ridding it more than I did in 1987.

Bottom Line:
I have been buying vintage NOS parts off ebay to keep this Klein as fresh as it was when it left Chehalis, WA.

Submitted by Jack Hayes

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2012

Strengths:    Very comfortabel and great fit. Good firm frame and handels extremely good.

Weaknesses:    None that I know of

Bottom Line:
I LOVE MY BIKE!! My local bike guy called me and told me that he had a bike that he thougt I would like. I jumped in the car and rushed to the shop. When I saw the Klein Q I fell in love. Did a test ride and I was hooked. The bike had been orderd by a guy that when it came in and he did his test ride he said that he did not like it and wanted his deposit back. The price was great and I have now been riding it for four years and LOVE IT EVERYTIME I go for a ride. I live for my Sunday morning rides and love every mile of it. I will ride the Klein Q until either I die or it dies. At 6'6" tall and 72 years of age life is good and my Klein makes even better.

Submitted by carmic0 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2011

Strengths:    frame, handling, great paint job.

Weaknesses:    Trek took them over !

Bottom Line:
Mine is a 1994 Quantum. Great ride very smooth, handles perfectly. Can ride all day and still feel fresh. Superb frame and in 2011 the paint is still magnificent.

Favorite Ride:   uriarra

Purchased At:   family

Similar Products Used:   Fondriest Spur, Paconi 653 (both excellent but not as good as the Quantum)

Bike Setup:   Campy wheelset, mainly old 105, Brooks Swift Ti saddle, salsa SUL stem (hasn't snapped yet).

Submitted by BenR a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff but smooth (you'll hear Gradient Tubing owners rave about this repeatedly), only 2008+ $3500+ carbon frames are starting to compare in this regard.

The paint. The paint. The paint. Love or hate the colors, (you'll know instantly), but the quality is top notch.

Soul.

Weaknesses:    Rear facing drop outs = neutral support nightmare.

Non replaceable derailleur hanger: solid, but aluminum cracks after too many re-alignments.

Long chainstays: why???? It's a race bike, and the rest of the geometry is beautiful!!!

31.6 seatpost (but, the seattube helps with stiffness and 31.6 is no longer an "oddball").

1" chromoly-steerer Icon fork is a pig, but solid (compared to the older oclv forks) and rides nicely.

Bottom Line:
Got this frame new in 2000 from a shop monkey who didn't know what he had (or didn't care). Built it up with Chorus 10 and gp4s at the time. I've ridden many bikes, but this frame will never be sold. It was my sole race & training bike for the first 4 years, but is still the choice Sunday bike.

Favorite Ride:   downhill (duh)

Purchased At:   shipped frame online

Similar Products Used:   various vintages of Cannondales (Caad9 is a modern Quantum equivalent with less torional stiffness across the top tube and less magical ride), but lighter and stiffer through fork & bb, and tighter wheelbase helps with turn-in at most road speeds)). Many bianchis, Specialized, Raleighs, and Treks. Really like the modern Ridleys and Scotts, and Tarmacs, but never owned or ridden extensively ($$$$).

Submitted by lebikerboy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff yet not too harsh especially with the carbon fork/post/bars. Climbs and accelerates well.

Bottom Line:
1999 Quantum frame was bought from a friend who bought the 57cm size which was way too big for him and as a result he only rode it 4 times. After stripping the parts (Shimano 105) off, it hung on his basement wall until now. He finally relented and I bought this Chehalis built classic. As I didn't want a carbon or steel frame I'm extremely satisified.

Favorite Ride:   Any sunny day

Similar Products Used:   None, first road bike in 15 years.

Bike Setup:   1999 Quantum frame, Ultegra triple group using flat bar shifters etc. Chris King headset, Syncros carbon seatpost and bar. Schwalbe Stelvio tires on Mavic CXP33 rims 3X 32H double butted spokes.

1999 Klein Quantum Race or 2006 Scattante 560

I know someone selling a 1999 Klein quantum race. I am not too familiar with these. It would be for my wife. Currently she has a 2006 Scattante 560 (Performance/Supergo brand) aluminum bike. I don't think the frame is anything special and neither does she. I am curious if you all think that the ... Read More »