Klein Bicycle Corporation 2001 Stage Older Road Bike

Submitted by Adrian Hegyvary a Road Racer from Seattle, WA USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Strengths:    Reasonably stiff, nice paint, high quality for the price. I really like the rear-facing dropouts.

Weaknesses:    Oversized seatube is difficult to fit seatposts to. Nowadays, the 1" headtube is minus for stem selection. Klein has since changed, though. I also had one of the bottle cage screws strip twice; costly and difficult to repair.

Bottom Line:
To my knowledge, Klein discontinued the Stage a while ago. I got mine in '97 with RSX stuff on it. The only thing stock on my bike is the frame and one or two of the bottle cage screws. Still, Stupidgo was selling the frames a few months back for like $199. This is a great buy for those getting into cycling. The ride is pretty stiff, though there is some BB flex. Not as forgiving as the upper end Kleins, but way more supple aluminum than any other bargain Aluminum I've ridden. I have ridden and raced the frame for almost five years now, and have had no problems. As for the original components, they worked fine but were getting a little worn. The original stem was the worst, flexy piece of crap I've used. It had about 1-2cm vertical movement when I put my weight on it. As for my current components, I love them. I have ridden the Campy for about 3000 miles and haven't even adjusted the der. It works flawlessly, and I will never buy Shimano for anything Cyclocross racing, because there nothing lasts. I have mixed feelings about the Ksyriums, but suffice it to say that they aren't as durable as everyone says, but if you find a good deal on them they're good for racing. As for the Stage, the only reason I'm looking to get a new frame is because I outgrew it. I'm a junior, and have grown about 10" since I got the bike, and now have to run a 150cm stem. I would definetely reccomend this bike.

Favorite Ride:   Cold, rainy, slogging uphill

Purchased At:   Gregg's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Surly Crosscheck SS, some mountain bikes and track bikes.

Bike Setup:   Full Campy Chorus, King H-set, Prima 220 bars, really long Profile stem/seatpost, Flite Ti Saddle, TIME Mag. pedals, Ksyriums/Axial Pro's for racing, 32 spoke 3x 14/15 ga wheels w/ Chorus hubs and CXP-33 rims for training with Spec. Armadillo tires, Ultegra brakes (work better than Campy in my humble opinion), cheesy Forte Allegro CF fork.

Looking for a pic from the 2001 Tour, stage 14

Looking for a picr from the 2001 Tour, stage 14, Luz-Ardiden, where Ullrich and Lance had a handshake at the end?? I thought GW had a pic of this, but I can't seem to find it???? Thanks!! JBRead More »