LeMond Bicycles 2001 Buenos Aires Older Road Bike

4.85/5 (34 Reviews)

Study a 2001 Buenos Aires and the specs page in this catalog. You'll note that the BA's LeMond Geometry frame is made from Reynolds 853 Select, an artful mix of Reynolds 853 and 525. Ride an 853 Select bike and an 853 Pro bike and you may not notice a difference. It won't say so in the specs but the BA's Shimano 105 parts work better than any parts worked a few years ago. You can get a triple crankset if you like. Double crankset or triple, a Buenos Aires is perfect for riding anywhere, fast or slow, paved roads or smooth dirt trails, on flat ground or up and down steep hills. Test ride a Buenos Aires. Reach out for the TTT bars. Roll out of your LeMond dealer's store on the Rolf Vector wheels. We'd like to think you will find yourself sitting in a position of power and control. We'd like to think you will feel strong, capable and balanced on the bike. We'd love to think that our bike makes you feel like going for a ride. If you experience any or all of those sensations, we've done what we set out to do: build great bikes and keep our promises

Submitted by Richard Luna a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2009

Strengths:    Frame

Weaknesses:    Paint (chips easily), "Lemond" plastered all over the frame

Bottom Line:
This is a great road bike. The frame is so light it's hard to believe it's steel. I had to switch out the stock pedals for clipless and it was not hard to find a more confortable saddle (Terry Fly gel). Outside of that, this bike, in its stock set-up, has been ready to ride and depandable day in an day out for years.

(Incidentally, if anyone wants to unload their 47 cm Buenos Aires, I am looking for one.)

Favorite Ride:   Annpolis-Sandy Point loop

Purchased At:   Metro Bicycles (NYC)

Similar Products Used:   Lemond Zurich

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by TEDSTER a Recreational Rider from SACRAMENTO

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Strengths:    The steel frame and the butter like ride.
solid spec for a bike in the price range.

Weaknesses:    The stock seat has as much cushion as an ethiopian on a redflyer wagon. Trash the seat and keep everything else the way t is.

Bottom Line:
While shopping for this bike (2002 Buenos) I was having buyers remorse because I had been riding a Giant TCR 0.
I really liked this bike so I was really leary about getting the Lemond. MAN WAS I WRONG!!!!!. I should have have bought this thing a long time ago. I have never ridden a bike that is so compliant and smooth. This thing doesn't miss a beat. It's weight is comparable to the Giant, about a pound or two havier but its well worht it. I am really a firm believer in steel after riding this bike. I have ridden Trek OCLV's and this thing rides as smooth or better, can't go wrong.

Favorite Ride:   ANY OVER 30 MILES

Purchased At:   FREEWHEELER IN DAVIS

Similar Products Used:   Giant TCR O, Klien, TREK

Bike Setup:   Shimano Ultegra pedals 6500, Specialized body GEo seat, flight deck computer.

Submitted by peter a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Strengths:    Carbon fiber fork, 105 group, wheelset
(for the price I paid)

Weaknesses:    The factory seatpost and stem might seem intimidating if you are a heavy rider who is already looking for steel for strength purposes.

Bottom Line:
Sorry to say this, but I am a mountain biker by heart and this road bike is basically for training purposes. But after riding my first steel bike, I now think that steel is an awesome frame for any type bike. I thoroughly enjoy this bike. Every part of it, from brake levers to rear dropout is soundly manufactured and precisely configured to make the entirety of the experience fabulous. The factory stock config is quite astonishing considering the price I paid. The icon carbon fork is an incredible factory config for the bike's price range. And the 105 group is a sound system also for the money. I just don't like two things, probably because I am a certain type rider. I would have liked to have seen a better seatpost and stem since I am a heavy rider.

Purchased At:   Roy''s Bike Shop-Bro

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   105 group rolf wheelset itm handlebar reynolds 853 selle san marcos saddle,

Submitted by ecpenni a Road Racer from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2002

Strengths:    great deal, and the ride that only steel can give

Weaknesses:    saddle is a little hard

Bottom Line:
wow. thats all i can say. i can still hardly believe ive got such a sweet bike. i go into the garage late at night and oggle it. you really cant beat it. the rolf's are great, and ride (steel, all the way) is lively and dependable. i practically stole it from my local shop around christmas time (trying to clear the inventory for 2002). i couldnt be happier.

Favorite Ride:   Marshall hill and other mountians of suburbia