Litespeed 2000 Blade Older Road Bike

road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra components, Buyer's choice fork

Submitted by Aznan Omar a Triathlete from Singapore

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2001

Strengths:    stable, solid , slick quick feel compared to my previous ride. Something a novice like me can feel right off the bat. Harshness felt on my previous ride turned into a magic carpet ride.

Weaknesses:    With 2 frame mounted bottles and tri-spokes, make side gusts a very interesting ride. Also, it is a bit heavier than expected.

Bottom Line:
I was training for ironmanasia on my LeMond for 6 months, and never did more than 120k's on my long rides. Just did'nt feel like doing more. 2 weeks before my race, the frame came in, I decided to hell with it. It turned out to be the sweetest 180k's I have ever ridden. No soreness, just slick, smooth and damn quick. I was in neutral shape for my run.

Favorite Ride:   everytime I get on the bike

Purchased At:   sinagpore lbs

Similar Products Used:   Previously had a Alpe d'Huez with the exact same componentry.

Bike Setup:   HED3, Dura-ace, Profile Aerobar, Profile BDC (carbon steerer)

Submitted by Jon a Triathlete from Frederick, Maryland

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2001

Strengths:    Ride quality is superb, especially when combined with quality wheels like the new DA 7700.

Weaknesses:    For a Tri bike I would have preferred the top tube length to be slightly shorter than seat tube (mine is 55cm ST/55cm TT). 53cm TT for a 55cm bike makes it a bit easier for a person of average proportion to set the bike up. This was easily fixed with a shorter stem. No real problem.

Bottom Line:
If you have about $4000 for a Tri bike, give the Blade a try.

Similar Products Used:   I've tried just about every Tri bike available in the US.

Bike Setup:   DA mostly. Thomson Elite seat post and Ritchey stem. Selle Italia SLR saddle. Bike weighs 18.5 pounds race-ready.

Submitted by John a Road Racer from Highlands Ranch, CO

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2000

Strengths:    Supple ride and repsonsiveness combined with light weight and great wind aerodynamics

Weaknesses:    A bit pricey but you get what you pay for in upper end bikes

Bottom Line:
The Blade gives a great confidence inspiring ride and is able to handle the biggest climbs (it actually climbs better than my Cannodale Saeco R4000 with similar equipment even though it is a full Road bike) and quickest turns with ease. The bike is very stiff laterally yet compliant enough vertically for my 4-5 hour training rides I take every saturday. I won't say that this is the best Tri/Time Trial bike out there because each person has/needs his/her own opinion but I do feel that if you do get one you will have no complaints and your new set of wheels will definately not being holding you back.

This is my first Tri style bike and I have mostly been a Road Racer up until now. The Tri bike climbs much better than I had anticipated and I was almost shocked at to the speeds/comfort that I am able to attain.

If you are a Time Trial or Triathlon rider and want a very quick and responsive bike, this is one of your many choices. If you want a Lifetime warranty and can afford it, I would definately reccomend it. If the price is a little steep, the Litespeed Saber is also a very nice ride and should make you as happy as I am now.