Schwinn 2000 Super Sport GL Older Road Bike

4.5/5 (10 Reviews)

road/sport, Shimano Tiagra Triple components, Kinesis fork

Submitted by chaley a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    Good solid bike without any flaws, but not over the top on anything either.

Weaknesses:    No real weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike when I was in my first year of University as a do every thing road bike. I has never failed to live up to my expectations. I have trained some long miles with it (well over 10,000kms to date), done a half-ironman triathlon, toured and done the local group rides with guys on bikes that are 10 times the price.

After the number of miles that I have put on it you can imagine that certain things needed to be replaced. I have put new tires on a couple of times, replaced the rear cassette, changed the front cranks to a compact double (sometimes I wish I still had the triple). But the seat is still the same, the rims are still kicking and the frame still looks good (Kona bikes have the same paint job).

Favorite Ride:   Banff to Jasper

Purchased At:   Klondike Cycle and S

Submitted by JSupan a Recreational Rider from Covington, LA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2001

Strengths:    Company stands behind their product.

Weaknesses:    They went bankrupt, but Pacific bought them.

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my previous review. I had rear spoke breaks as a previous reviewer mentioned. Another Schwinn dealer told me that a batch of bad spokes got used in the 2000 model road & mountain bikes; recommended me to tell my dealer about it. They called Schwinn about it. Schwinn paid for a relace job! I've got a triple crossed, hand-laced rear wheel with 14g DT stainless spokes and Schwinn picked-up the tab.

Favorite Ride:   MS150

Purchased At:   BikeZone

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   As before, but I've added a RockShox road seatpost to reduce road vibration from bothering my injur

Submitted by Vic a Commuter from Torrance

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2001

Strengths:    Frame
Component mix is very good for the money and easily upgradeable

Weaknesses:    It has no glaring weaknesses. It has a nice frame and a well matched component list that is easily upgradeable. That's the hallmark of a nice bike.

Bottom Line:
The Super Sport GL is a very, very good bike for the money.

The frame is the heart of the bike, and the Super Sport GL has a nice frame. Lively and rigid, it climbs and accellerates well. Aluminum frames feel a little stiff riding to me, and this one is no exception. Still, riding this bike feels like swimming with speedos instead of swim trunks. Smooth and fast. It is good enough to be worthy of modest upgrades.

Aesthetically speaking, I do like the script "Schwinn" logo on the downtube. It give the bike an upscale classic look.

I have read some of the complaints about paint chipping on other Schwinn bikes. No complaints here. On a recent century ride, I had set my bike against a post at a rest stop. It was windy, and the bike got blown over onto a lot of sandstone rocks! The good news is that virtually all of the scratches were superficial ... removed with a little bit of wax.

The component mix is essentially the 9-speed Shimano Tiagra, with a few substitutions. The front hub and headset (which is not threadless) are not Shimano, but the rear derailleur is Shimano 105 (a nice touch in a bike in this price category).

The Tiagra group is very good ... smooth, and reasonably sure shifting. Even better, it is easily upgradable to 105 or Ultegra (and presumably, Dura Ace, when the triple Dura Ace components are released). The same cannot be said for the 8-speed Sora component mix that is used on most bikes in this price range. I do have a complaint, though ... the handlebar shifters rattle on rough roads. That may seem like a nit, but it gets annoying after a while.

The wheels are nice as well. Alex DA-22 aero rims with with black spokes. The front wheel is radial spoked ... another nice touch on a bike in this price range.

The seat (Velo Plush) is OK, but a little tough and narrow on a long ride, even for my rear end.

I like this bike so much, I'd give it a 5 star overall rating, but I don't think it realistically compares with bikes in the $1500 and up price category. But when it comes to value, the Super Sport GL is off the chart.

Favorite Ride:   The one I'm doing at the time ...

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Portofino (Touring)
Univega Alpina 700 (MTB)

Bike Setup:   As purchased, except for an 8cm Forte angle stem.

Submitted by James Richardson a Recreational Rider from Fredericksburg,Va U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2001

Strengths:    Frame is great.Very ridable .105 and Tiagra ders work very well. Comp. package can't be beat for the money.

Weaknesses:    Seat was not so good.I got numb alot after about 20 miles.
only 1 broken spoke in 1 year, but they always seem loose

Bottom Line:
This is one fantastic bike! It fits like a glove.For the money it can't be beat.In about 1200+ miles, I can't find
anything to complain about.It climbs well,descends well,handles in turns well.When I finally wear this one out,
I'll get another!

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   Bikeworks

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Stock except seat(Liberater)

Submitted by Brandon a Recreational Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2000

Strengths:    Nice component mix...105 and Tiagra for the buck. This bike seemed to deliver alot for the price I paid. It also has a triple up front and aluminum frame which have both been woderful for climbing.

Weaknesses:    Frame is made in Tiawan...is that a weakness???I dunno. Perhaps...I must agree that this is a bike for recreational cyclists and those mountain bikers (like myself) looking for something to train/ride on in the off season or if they are just looking for variety.

Bottom Line:
I think this would be an outstanding bike for the mountain biker looking for a road bike to help him/her train for races. It is light enough, and has a triple crankset up front to be a good climber and would be useful in long ascents or rides such as the MS150. Furthermore, this bike won't break the bank (especially if it is your second bike and you want to pour more $ into upgrades/replacement parts for your MTB). To reiterate what those below me have said: this is probably not for the road racer. That being said I give this wonderful bike:

Favorite Ride:   Peaks Trail (off-road)

Purchased At:   REI (normally 950.00)

Similar Products Used:   C'dale R600 triple; Bianchi (their $600 steel frame model), Specialized Allez

Bike Setup:   Stock (for now :)): Tiagra components, 105 rear derailluer, Alexrims, michelin tires (forgot the make)