Schwinn 2000 Super Sport GLX Older Road Bike

3.82/5 (17 Reviews)

road race & triathlon, Shimano 105 components, Schwinn fork

Submitted by tbninmn a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2005

Strengths:    Reynolds 853 steel. Shimano 105 group. Great fit.

Weaknesses:    I did have the paint issue on the fork that others mentioned but that did not bother me. I have not had the wheel breakage problem. Basicaly no weaknesses other than being too darn nice looking and the theifs flocked to it like fly on SH**!

Bottom Line:
Basicaly this bike was great! It was stolen from my house last year. I road it for only 2 seasons (MN no winters!). It responded to my pedal strokes like no other bike I have ridden. The steel frame absorbed the harsh road with ease. I could bike all day on that bike without a worry.

Favorite Ride:   Smooth surfaces... no hills!!

Purchased At:   Bicycle Chain

Similar Products Used:   Before this bike in 2000, I mainly road another steel road bike, 1986 Bridgestone 300 road bike (This bike was stolen as well). I thought that bike was the king but this Schwinn sure opened my eyes to other bikes there. I only owned Bridgestone bikes (mountain bike and road) so I never tasted other bikes. I also only own GM vehicles!

Bike Setup:   Stock with added pump, seat bag, computer etc.. regular stuff you put on a bike, minus a compass!
**If anyone finds a 2000 (last year they made a steel bike)Schwinn SS GLX blue/white and it is a 54cm? let me know. It was taken from my home in Minneapols, MN. tbninmn@hotmail.com

Submitted by Wishy a Road Racer from MD, USA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2002

Strengths:    -smooth steel ride
-smooth carbon fork
-retro paint

Weaknesses:    -spokes break like twigs
-Ritchey OCR rims
-triple crank gear ratios

Bottom Line:
As a second road bike, this bike was a major improvement over my Trek. The Reynolds Frame was, suprisingly, stiffer than my older aluminum frame. The ride was also sportier, yet the comfort level afforded by the 853 series tubes was still present. The color-matched carbon fork is a nice touch that smooths out the ride even more. The retro paint makes for a sleeper look, hiding all the modern touches. There were a couple of things that irritated me. The spokes were apparently made out of some cheap steel, so they snap rather easily. I've broken at least one spoke on every 4th or 5th ride. Relaced the wheels with quality DT spokes, problem solved. Second issue were the Ritchey rims. The rear rim is a pain in the ass because of the OCR rim technology. It is difficult to have the proper width rim tape to evenly cover the all the holes. Pinch flats were common until I custom trimmed a wider tape to fit the rim exactly. Second issue is trying to mount Euro brand tires on US rims. Mounted my Michelins to Mavics rather easily, try to to do the same to Ritcheys, Rigidas, or Suns, and you will sprain your thumb s trying to get the tires on. Last but not least, what's up with the gearing? 30/42/52 chainring set matched to a 13-25 rear cassette is too tall of a gear in the lowest mid-ring setting, too short in the 52/13 combo, and way too easy once you drop down to the 30. If I run out of ratios in the 42 and need to drop to the 30, I have to upshift 3 times to try and match the same ratio that I was in before. I know this is a nitpick, but hey, I guess I should ahve gotten a double instead (which I have no on my Giant TCR).

Favorite Ride:   Any 4-Corner Crit

Purchased At:   Riverdale Cycle and

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5500 (Old Bonded Aluminum model).

Bike Setup:   Stock. Re-laced wheels with DT 14/15 double butted spokes. Michelin Axial Pro Tires.

Submitted by thimblemews a Recreational Rider from Derby, United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Strengths:    Geometary, Colour, Shimano 105, Price

Weaknesses:    Nothing at this price

Bottom Line:
£599 !!!!!!
Bought my first bike in 17yrs in May 2001(without STI, big mistake) and replaced it with my Schwinn and I love it. Yes the paintwork is a bit dodgy in places but that Blue is a delight to look at. I have the Aluminium Frame variant with Kinesis carbon forks and its great although most other reviewers rave about the Reynolds 853 model. Wheels - had rear re-built after 100miles and no probs since, but they are going to be upgraded in spring. The Ritchey components all appear to be entry level stuff so lighterstuff will replace them eventually, either Ritchey WCS or ITM Millenium. Haven't seen anyone else on one or any similar spec bikes near the price I got mine for.
Lets have some reviews on the Alu Frame
Would suit almost anyone, very easy to ride but it'll go as fast as you want !
E-Mail me if you have a full spec on this model, cant get it over here.
thimblemews@lycos.co.uk

Favorite Ride:   You wouldn't know it !

Purchased At:   J.E.James Cycles. Ro