Schwinn 2000 Super Sport SL Older Road Bike

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra Triple components, Time Sprint fork

Submitted by supersportls a Recreational Rider from Fountain, Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2002

Strengths:    The quality ride, top end components. This bike looks fantastic (I love the retro paint).

Weaknesses:    The saddle is down right evil, swapped that out immidiately.

Bottom Line:
It had been several years since I last owned a road bike. I have been riding a mountain bike. I wanted to start riding longer road tours and felt this would be a good bike. It has turned out to be a great decision. The ride from the CROMO frame is super and the equipment group is top notch. I could not be happier.

Favorite Ride:   Tour of Colorado

Purchased At:   Performance Biccycle

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by g ary willis a Recreational Rider from lovell, wyoming usa

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Strengths:    853 frame- ultegra group- real road pedals- all day saddle
its black!

Weaknesses:    none so far
out of production- will be hard to find

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is this : this is a sweet ride- the combination of 853 and carbon fork and ritchey aero wheelset make a fairly fast all day ride - if you can find one around snap it up - the 2001 are aluminum with fastback design

Favorite Ride:   over the big horns

Purchased At:   larsens bicycles

Similar Products Used:   tested trek klein univega specialized road

Bike Setup:   stock plus aero bars

Submitted by Bill Snyder a Recreational Rider from Vancouver,Wa.

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2000

Strengths:    853 Reynolds Steel Frame, Ultegra Groupo, Time Carbon Fork,
all high quality componets . An excellant bike for club rides and century rides.

Weaknesses:    None, My dealer let me swap the single side pedals for same
brand in dual sided pedals--also at no cost traded seat out for Body Geometry Seat.

Bottom Line:
I am almost 50 years old and comfort and quality were the biggest factors in making my selection of the Super Sport SL. The frame geometry and 853 Reynolds make the bike comfortable for long rides. The 27 speed Ultegra is a nice
quality touch to an already quality bike. The bike seems light for steel (about 21 lbs) and is fast for this type of bike. I highly rcommend this bike but you are running out of time, I hear the 2001 will be aluminum. This bike is a great value and truely a "Best Buy".

Favorite Ride:   Bridge to Bridge Loop

Similar Products Used:   I have been to Seattle Bike Show and Portland Bike Show as
well as researched the net and all our local bike shops. There are a lot of nice bikes out there but I felt this was a "BEST BUY" .

Bike Setup:   Stock except changed out seat and pedals.

Submitted by Stuart a Recreational Rider from Marina del Rey, CA. USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2000

Strengths:    The bike handles wonderfully. It feels wonderfully secure and stable, especially on downhills. Very comfortable geometry.

Weaknesses:    Rattle from right brake/shifter
Double sided pedals would be nice.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Great ride.

Favorite Ride:   The last one

Similar Products Used:   Fuji S12-S LTD

Bike Setup:   Changed saddle to Specialized Body Geometry.
I broke a few spokes on my first long ride, on the originaly rims, so I had the shop change wheels to Mavic SUP's.

Submitted by Stephen a Recreational Rider from Berthoud, CO

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2000

Strengths:    Frame, components, triple crank, handlebar, stem

Weaknesses:    pedals, maybe

Bottom Line:
I've mostly been riding mountain bikes the last few years but when I saw the triple crank on this one I decided to look into a new road bike. I'd forgotten how nice a good steel frame could be; now I'm looking for an 853 frame mountain bike. I only have 250-300 miles on the bike (it snowed 8" the day after I bought it) but I like the ride more each time. The handlebar seemed too high and wide at first, but I flipped the ritchey stem and had the steerer tube cut down and now it's great, much better than the handlebar on the comparable LeMond, at least for day touring. I don't race at all.
I have time atac pedals on my mountain bikes, but these road
pedals seem strange, almost like there is too much float. I don't feel connected to the cranks.
I also gave the saddle to the shop and bought a specialized
body geometry comp. It's a great saddle.

I