Schwinn 2000 Super Sport Older Road Bike

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)

road/sport, Shimano Sora Triple components, Schwinn fork

Submitted by Peter a Commuter from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Strengths:    Cheapest decent roadbike I could find!!! Sora components shift smoothly, adjustable stem lets you tune your riding position as you wish. Relatively light weight. Fast and sturdy.

Weaknesses:    Saddle didn't suit me, pedals not my style, tires not puncture resistant (some folks call me picky). Alpine gearing might be nice for climbing although the road-triple is OK on the flats.

Bottom Line:
I have the 2001 model, not the 2000. It does NOT look like the picture and was special ordered on request (I don't think anybody in Sacramento actually keeps Schwinn road bikes in stock, except maybe R.E.I.).

I'm old, I'm fat, I need to quit smoking, and I bought this bike because I NEED to start riding again. I'm using it to commute to work (about 7 miles each way) on roads strewn with busted glass in 100 degree weather, slogging into a 5-15 mph headwind that greets me every evening on the way home. I had a nice old roadbike built up on a Vitus aluminum frame, but when I put modern tires on it they blew off the rims and I wanted an aluminum road bike with indexed shifting and rims that match modern tires. This bike fit the bill at the lowest cost. I've got about 250+ miles on it at this point and have tinkered incessantly with the stem adjustment, etc, etc until it's beginning to fit me like a glove.

The stock tires rolled fast and smooth but after the first flat I switched to Specialized Turbo Armadillo (which I had already) and I haven't had a flat since. I suppose I could have just stuck some Mr Tuffy in the stock tires and gotten about the same effect.

The route I ride had enough bumps to make me try a spring seatpost and I'll never go back. It lets me put my weight on the saddle instead of supporting my butt with my leg muscles to keep from getting pounded; I call that efficiency.

I took one look at the stock pedals and decided I liked my old ATB-style pedals better; to be honest I never really tried em. At this point I'm using some dual-purpose clipless Shimano pedals that fit cleated shoes on one side but street shoes or tennies on the other.

The saddle seemed to be blocking the circulation in my legs due to excessive width and I stuck a Specialized "Body Geometry" on and again decided I'd found a winner. It's narrower in front, wide and cushy in back where the weight rides, split up the middle, looks "rad", and just plain FITS better.

So, this is a good bike, lighter than virtually any ATB, with drop bars and adjustability that allows you to actually make IT conform to YOU rather than the other way around. If you're younger and stronger than I am you can make it go real fast. If you're old and fat like me you can appreciate the lightness, the efficiency of the "road bike" features (drop bars and narrow high-pressure tires), the bang-for-the-buck, and the fact that IF you ride you just might live a little longer.

My first bike was a Schwinn. Perhaps this will be my last bike. It's a good ride!

Favorite Ride:   commute

Purchased At:   Thom's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   '84 Schwinn Voyageur (chrome moly touring bike), Vitus-framed built-up road bike with old shimano 105 components vintage late 80's

Bike Setup:   Stock except changed to
Specialized Turbo Armadillo tires,
GT Streamline sprung seatpost,
Specialized BodyGeometry saddle,
Shimano SPD/cage combo pedals,
added Schwinn tubular rack, Avocet cyclometer, pump, bottle rack, etc, and some old biopace chainrings I happen to l;ke better than the round ones all the modern "experts" prefer.

Submitted by Mike a Recreational Rider from Dallas, TX USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2001

Strengths:    Great value with some parts found on more expensive offerings. From my observation, Schwinn bikes still command a good price at trade in or resale.

Weaknesses:    Incremental changes in saddle tilt vary too much with stock post.

Bottom Line:
Great entry level road bike value from a great shop. Have put on over 1,200 road miles in addition to 3 months of spinning 5 hours a week during the winter with no complaints. Came stock with machined surface black aero style rims, cork handlebar tape and aluminum frame which was appealing in this price range. Since buying this bike, I've ridden others that don't handle as well or have the comfortable geometry for longer rides. I like the STI shifters with the thumb levers since I spend most of my time with hands comfortably on the hoods or top of the bars. If keeping up with the Jones' is a priority, scrape the SORA name stickers off the rest of the components and your buddies probably won't know the difference.

Who should buy it? Recreational riders who don't need cutting edge technology or its price.
Who shouldn't buy it? High mileage riders who might benefit from better componentry offering less maintenance.

Favorite Ride:   Richardson to White Rock

Purchased At:   Richardson Bike Mart

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Stock except for a personalized fit, upgraded the seat and seatpost, and added clipless pedals.

Submitted by Brad a Recreational Rider from Marshalltown,Ia USA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2001

Strengths:    standard but good componetry. Price is unbeatable for what you get. Nice looking bike. Great for first time road bike!

Weaknesses:    Saddle had to go along with pedals. Other than that none.

Bottom Line:
You can't beat this bike for an entry level road bike for the $. Looked at all different kinds of entry level road bikes and the super sport was by far the best choice.

Favorite Ride:   RAGBRAI

Purchased At:   Mike's bikes and fitness

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale R300

Bike Setup:   Shimano Sora comp.

Submitted by Lauren G a Recreational Rider from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2001

Strengths:    This bike is super light and the gears are really easy. It only took me about three rides to get used to its fit.

Weaknesses:    I have to agree with everyone else and say that on long rides the seat really gets to me. Also, the stem is bulky and heavy. It doesn't come with a traditional road stem, but an adjustable one like you'd find on a hybred. But hey, just adjust it how you want it and you're set.

Bottom Line:
I'm really glad I chose the Super Sport for my first road bike. It's a lot of fun, handles really well, and looks good. It has a very sturdy ride and gave me more confidence to ride on the road with traffic. It's a great bike for the price and I look forward to taking it on 50+ mile rides.

Favorite Ride:   downtown, during a work day.

Purchased At:   i have a friend who works at schwinn

Bike Setup:   Factory.

Submitted by Furman from Fayetteville, NC

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2001

Strengths:    This is definety a well built, durable bike. I have hammered it hard and have had flawless performance. The stem/seat adjustability makes it easy to get your comfort zone right.

Weaknesses:    The exisitng pedals and seat had to go. The pedals required too much concentration to get into and the Velo seat just never felt quite right. I replaced the pedals with Look clipless and the saddle with a Specialized Body Geometry. The Sora drivetrain, though reliable, is sluggish.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for cruising. I have done a few one-day century's and an MS150 on this baby and it performed as well as many higher priced, higher end bikes. Though it is not a racer, I have ridden 23-24 mph pace lines with it and never missed a beat. My positive expieriences with this bike contributed to my purchasing the race-oriented Schwinn Fastback Factory. I intend to keep the Super Sport active as my cruise with the crowd bike. I think it is tops in its category.

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Stock Shimano Sora drivetrain, with Look clipless pedals and Specialized seat.